Top 3 point-producers in the league?

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
I thought this was interesting.

Using NHL.com's player statistics, I calculated the points/minute played for each of the top 10 or so points leaders. Kuch obviously has more points than anyone else, but he also plays significantly fewer minutes than the other top-10 scorers.

So I calculated the total minutes played by multiplying games played by minutes/game. Then I calculated points/minute by dividing points by total minutes played.

The top point-producers in the league, per minute on ice:

Kucherov, 0.0832 (99 points in 1,190 minutes)
Point, 0.0708 (78 points in 1,101 minutes)
Stamkos, 0.0706 (73 points in 1,035 minutes)

Kane, 0.0685 (90 points in 1,313 minutes)
Gaudreau, 0.0652 (78 points in 1,197 minutes)
MacDavid, 0.0635 (83 points in 1,307 minutes)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
giphy.gif

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Don't tell this to Oilers fans.

Lol trash talk aside, Kucherov produces with less minutes because of how effective his team is. Playing less minutes or more minutes is a completely team dependent stat. Raw production carries more weight to me, you could play a Nylander 25mins a night he still wouldn't score at the rate McDavid does.

Martin St.louis was always near the league lead for forwards in toi/gm because he was on awful lightning teams that needed him out there as much as they could, I hated when people discredited that to say a datsyuk who was playing on cup contending Detroit teams.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Lol trash talk aside, Kucherov produces with less minutes because of how effective his team is. Playing less minutes or more minutes is a completely team dependent stat. Raw production carries more weight to me, you could play a Nylander 25mins a night he still wouldn't score at the rate McDavid does.

Martin St.louis was always near the league lead for forwards in toi/gm because he was on awful lightning teams that needed him out there as much as they could, I hated when people discredited that to say a datsyuk who was playing on cup contending Detroit teams.
Yeah - I think a lot of work has been done that shows that after a certain point (for forwards), increased ice-time has diminishing returns.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
It probably also has a lot to do with the fact that the Lightning are usually winning late in the game, which means that the team doesn't need its top scorers out there. Guys like Cirelli are more useful for closing out games.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah - I think a lot of work has been done that shows that after a certain point (for forwards), increased ice-time has diminishing returns.

There is definitely diminishing returns, but still a very strong positive correlation between points scored and ice time received, for reasons which should be obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->