Curtis Joseph St. Louis 68 3890 196 1 3.02
Kay Whitmore Vancouver 31 1817 94 1 3.10
Dominik Hasek Buffalo 28 1429 75 0 3.15
Andy Moog Boston 55 3194 168 3 3.16
Jeff Reese Calgary 26 1311 70 1 3.20
Patrick Roy Montreal 62 3595 192 2 3.20
Daren Puppa Buffalo/Toronto 32 1785 96 2 3.23

Is that 92-93?
Of this list, for that season, I'd take the bolded guy first.
But Potvin and Belfour were terrific that year.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Sundin must be the most ovverated player EVER!!!! The guys a 80-70 point player for most of his career and got 100p Playing on a nordiques team and prob the higest scoring reg season if i remeber correctly he was 23/22 in league points(not sure) when he had 114 points!playing in Toronto(center of the unverse) made him a "legend"

1331GP 563 Goals 776 Assists 1339 Points....... tied for most OT goals ever...
yup.. it was playing in Toronto that did it... go back to sleep now.....

Security Guard Chang*

1331GP 563 Goals 776 Assists 1339 Points....... tied for most OT goals ever...
yup.. it was playing in Toronto that did it... go back to sleep now.....

Being durable and consistent can do that....The only thin he was "elite" at. Consistent ppg player thats all he is.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
There are three blocks with great Swedish players. I can't place them in particular order, so the blocks are easier to form:

Block 1: Forsberg, Lidstrom, K Nilsson and Salming. Those four are an elite group that people never will forget.

Block 2: T Steen, Patrik Sundstrom, M Sundin, B-Ã… Gustafsson, H Loob, Mats Naslund, T Sandstrom and Tomas Jonsson. A group of both Stanley Cup winners and legendary playmakers and leaders.

Block 3: T Gradin, Pelle Eklund, Markus Naslund, Anders Kallur, Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nilsson, D Alfredsson and Ulf Samuelsson. All great players but with either less hardware, impact, longtivety or skill than the other players above.

There have been other good players out of Sweden. The list above just thrown from my mind.

For some of the current active players as Zetterberg, Sedins and Backstrom, the jury is still out. Alfie is cemented where I put him.

I am 46 years old and have been fortunate watching Hedberg-Nilsson-Hull line. I have seen Nilsson hitting the crossbar from centerline in national TV (HNIC), I have seen Steen, Sundstrom orchestring games that Backstrom and Zetterberg never been close. The Swedes playing in NHL in 70s and 80s had a total different startingpoint than the players today. A player like Berglund in Blues would not have a chance earning a spot 20 years ago. Steen's son Alex would not been a NHL-player back in the days when his father lead his Winipeg Jets.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Viking Award

There are three blocks with great Swedish players. I can't place them in particular order, so the blocks are easier to form:

Block 1: Forsberg, Lidstrom, K Nilsson and Salming. Those four are an elite group that people never will forget.

Block 2: T Steen, Patrik Sundstrom, M Sundin, B-Ã… Gustafsson, H Loob, Mats Naslund, T Sandstrom and Tomas Jonsson. A group of both Stanley Cup winners and legendary playmakers and leaders.

Block 3: T Gradin, Pelle Eklund, Markus Naslund, Anders Kallur, Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nilsson, D Alfredsson and Ulf Samuelsson. All great players but with either less hardware, impact, longtivety or skill than the other players above.

There have been other good players out of Sweden. The list above just thrown from my mind.

For some of the current active players as Zetterberg, Sedins and Backstrom, the jury is still out. Alfie is cemented where I put him.

I am 46 years old and have been fortunate watching Hedberg-Nilsson-Hull line. I have seen Nilsson hitting the crossbar from centerline in national TV (HNIC), I have seen Steen, Sundstrom orchestring games that Backstrom and Zetterberg never been close. The Swedes playing in NHL in 70s and 80s had a total different startingpoint than the players today. A player like Berglund in Blues would not have a chance earning a spot 20 years ago. Steen's son Alex would not been a NHL-player back in the days when his father lead his Winipeg Jets.

The Viking Award - voted by the Swedish players paints a very different picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Award

Is it a question of the players having a different perspective than the fans. Or a question of the NHL being interpreted thru the eyes of fans whose initial exposure to hockey may have a Swedish background.

Prime example being that certain players are not regarded as highly by their peers as they are by the NHL fans of specific teams or in comparison to North American players.

Prime example would be the recognition of Markus Naslund and Mats Sundin vis-a-vis their contemporaries.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
It's a different league these past years than earlier decades. It's alot easier making an impact today than it was for Thommie Bergman entering Detroit team in 1972/73.

I have played hockey myself and with all my interest for the game I am not gonna be a fool only looking at Viking awards or points produced. I am very aware Alfie, for instance, is a captain for Sens, has produced points and will get his number up in the rafters one day. But if I build a team, I would pick P Sundstrom before him every day of the week....or K Nilsson...or Loob. I would pick Mats Naslund before Markus without a blink. Then I don't care Markus has won scoring title or Lindsay. The little Viking was a better player than Markus and......, Mats, not to forget, won a Cup!!

It's easier today to make a good name than in the 70/80s for European players.

Last edited:

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
Kent Nillsson seems to be underrated by a lot of people here. Wish I knew why. Never saw him play? He still holds the record for most points in the NHL by a Swedish player in a single season.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1991-92 Onwards

It's a different league these past years than earlier decades. It's alot easier making an impact today than it was for Thommie Bergman entering Detroit team in 1972/73.

I have played hockey myself and with all my interest for the game I am not gonna be a fool only looking at Viking awards or points produced. I am very aware Alfie, for instance, is a captain for Sens, has produced points and will get his number up in the rafters one day. But if I build a team, I would pick P Sundstrom before him every day of the week....or K Nilsson...or Loob. I would pick Mats Naslund before Markus without a blink. Then I don't care Markus has won scoring title or Lindsay. The litle Viking was a better player than Markus and Mats won a Cup!!

It's easier today to make a good name than in the 70/80s for European players.

Fair enough. Let's look at 1991-92 onwards. Regardless how you spin it Markus Naslund with a shorter career, less impressive prime IMO os viewed by his peers - the other Swedish hockey players, as being more worthy than Daniel Alfredsson or Nicklas Lidstrom.during at least three seasons. Why?

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
What makes Nilsson great is not only some producing season..it's more his mere presence, his skill, his cool aproach. Gretzky has said numerous times that Kent is the most talented player he has played with.

To be honest, Kent was never gifted with same warrior attitude like Larmer or Messier. But as a fan I can appreciate different kind of players. In my ultimate team I want both Mess AND Kent. Which other player can hit the crossbar from center ice in a tv-show? He was so cool in many ways. Then of course...I have my own colored glasses, since his son played alot against my son so I have spent time with Kent by rinkside at moonshine rinks here in Stockholm suburbs. He has played with Prince Albert, he has been pro in more countries than any player. The guy is an icon in all ways. Now I went overboard from the subject..but Kent is so cool.

When there was the first lockout...Gretz, Hull and friends played a couple of games in Europe. When they played Djurgården...Kent was invited to play for them.

Kent was asked by coach what position he preferred. His answer: "Where it is closest to bench" LOL

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Canadiens: You know...the peers are voting on players in the year they are playing. No history is involved. Which means back when Sundstrom played there were Dionne, perhaps Gretz, Yzerman and so on. Today they vote for Naslund, happening winning a scoringtitle. But Sundstrom (if we stick to him) came from a hockeystyle so different to NHL and the game and points he put up is a lot better acomplishment than what Naslund managed because today the game is alot closer to the European style since coahes are more proeuropean and the majority of players are not any longer from NA. Back then when our NHLers cam back to Sweden, they dominated. Today we have domestic players outplaying the NHLers .

The game is more tactic today which fits Swedish players much better than the run and gun game from past. When coaches hated thoughtful and mannered Swedes.

Of course I am not only taking the career in NHL into consideration. B-Ã… Gustafsson was an important player for Washington. But his career in Swedish national team compltes the picture of a player I would pick among the first in an alltime team.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Fair enough. Let's look at 1991-92 onwards. Regardless how you spin it Markus Naslund with a shorter career, less impressive prime IMO os viewed by his peers - the other Swedish hockey players, as being more worthy than Daniel Alfredsson or Nicklas Lidstrom.during at least three seasons. Why?

The Viking award seems heavily biased towards forwards, just like the Pearson/Lindsay award, also voted on by players.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
True

The Viking award seems heavily biased towards forwards, just like the Pearson/Lindsay award, also voted on by players.

True. However the Lindsay/Pearson is an all inclusive NHLPA award as opposed to the Viking and the Kharlamov which are voted on by an exclusive, clearly defined subgroup.

There are extensive threads which detail the various coaches polls throughout the years and the opinions expressed by the coaches carry great weight. Conversely the various player awards or opinions seem to carry little weight and in many instances these opinions go against the conventional fan or historian opinions.

The point you raise about defensemen being under represented is very valid especially given that they tend to play more minutes per game and in all situations - 5 on 5, PP, PK, with diverse rolls demanded from a specific player. Forwards may not see PK time as an example.

Yet the players do not show the same appreciation for defensemen.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Being durable and consistent can do that....The only thin he was "elite" at. Consistent ppg player thats all he is.

He choose to play on a team he loved but gave him little to no support and he did it great. Consistant for so long while providing ELITE leadership and clutch play. He's also one of the best international players of all time. I'd give him more than just being a consistant ppg player like you put him...

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
# | Player Name | POS | "HHOF Monitor" Points
1 | Nicklas "Lidas" Lidstrom | D | 2276,05
2 | Peter "Peter the Great" Forsberg | C | 1505,50
3 | Markus "Nazzy" Naslund | LW | 1161,00
4 | Mats "Sudden" Sundin | C | 1077,50
5 | Borje "King" Salming | D | 957,40
6 | Daniel "Alfie" Alfredsson | RW | 682,00
7 | Mats "Le Petit Viking" Naslund | LW | 573,50
8 | Tomas "Tommie Gun" Sandstrom | RW | 572,00
9 | Stefan "Rico" Persson | D | 450,80
10 | Ulf "Robocop" Samuelsson | D | 434,95
11 | Kent "The Magic Man" Nilsson | C | 410,00
12 | Thomas "Tommy" Steen | C | 397,45
13 | Ulf Dahlen | RW | 393,50
14 | Hakan "Hawk" Loob | RW | 390,00
15 | Calle Johansson | D | 374,30
16 | Tommy "Abbe" Albelin | D | 370,40
17 | Mikael "Renny" Renberg | RW | 360,50
18 | Fredrik Olausson | D | 359,75
19 | Pelle "Gumper" Lindbergh | G | 355,50
20 | Kjell "Sammy" Samuelsson | D | 335,15
21 | Tomas "Homer" Holmstrom | LW | 325,00
22 | Tomas "T.J." Jonsson | D | 316,20
23 | Thomas Gradin | C | 303,50
24 | Michael "Nyllet" Nylander | C | 302,50
25 | Anders "Andy" Kallur | RW | 287,50
26 | Fredrik "Mo" Modin | LW | 282,00
27 | Bo "Willy The Wisp" Lindstrom | RW | 279,50
28 | Patrik Sundstrom | C | 267,50
29 | Per-Erik "Pelle" Eklund | C | 257,00
30 | Mattias "Notan" Norstrom | D | 247,20
31 | Bengt-Ake "Gunner" Gustafsson | C | 245,50
32 | Anders "The Swedish Express" Hedberg | RW | 238,50
33 | Niklas "Sunny" Sundstrom | RW | 224,00
34 | Kenny Jonsson | D | 213,70
35 | Johan "Garpen" Garpenlov | LW | 196,00
36 | Mattias "Matty" Ohlund | D | 194,10
37 | Marcus "Rags" Ragnarsson | D | 189,05
38 | Magnus "The Machine" Arvedson | LW | 177,00
39 | Juha "Whitey" Widing | C | 173,50
40 | Jonas "Hogie" Hoglund | LW | 169,00
41 | Jorgen Pettersson | LW | 166,50
42 | Anders "Butsy" Eriksson | D | 164,00
43 | Niclas "Secret Weapon" Wallin | D | 161,25
44 | Dackell Andreas | RW | 151,50
45 | Lars "Lurch" Lindgren | D | 146,20
46 | Henrik "Hank" Sedin | C | 139,00
47 | Daniel "Dank" Sedin | LW | 136,50
48 | Mikael Andersson | LW | 135,50
49 | Tommy "Tom Cat" Salo | G | 135,50
50 | Henrik "Hank" Zetterberg | LW | 134,00

Andreas Dackell before the Sedin twins....I just threw up slightly.

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik

You can´t be serious when you put Steen,B A Gustafsson,Sandstrom above Alfredsson and Naslund if you divide them after skill.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
You can´t be serious when you put Steen,B A Gustafsson,Sandstrom above Alfredsson and Naslund if you divide them after skill.

Might agree on Alfredsson but Markus Näslund? Come on. Steen and Gustafsson should be ranked higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad