Top 25 Players in Anaheim Ducks History: #1

Who is the best player in Anaheim Ducks history?

• Paul Kariya

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Chris Kunitz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan Getzlaf

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Steve Rucchin

• Teemu Selanne

Votes: 76 73.8%
  • Corey Perry

• Scott Niedermayer

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Cam Fowler

• Francois Beauchemin

• JS Giguere

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Well folks it's time for a new poll series.

We're going to be doing a poll series for the top 25 players in each team (Sans Las Vegas). These polls will only consider time spent with each team in ? and not any other part of their careers.

I'll start a poll with a list of 10 players (2 LW, 2 C, 2 RW, 3 D, 1 G) and ask for suggestions throughout.

Also there will be 3 teams done at the 1 time so this month it will be Anaheim, Arizona and Boston, in February it will be Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina and so on.

So here goes, looking forward to everyone's participation and opinion:

On tap to be added:

LW- Mike Leclerc
C-Andy Mcdonald
RW-Bobby Ryan
D-Oleg Tverdovsky
G- Guy Hebert

Reference:

Anaheim Ducks Skaters | Hockey-Reference.com
Anaheim Ducks Goalies | Hockey-Reference.com

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
25 is gonna be way too many to get through. Even a top-10 for the Ducks is gonna be pretty lame by the end.

Anyways, the top-4 seems pretty obvious. Guy Hebert should've been an option from the get-go.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
25 is gonna be way too many to get through. Even a top-10 for the Ducks is gonna be pretty lame by the end.

Anyways, the top-4 seems pretty obvious. Guy Hebert should've been an option from the get-go.

I think their top 10 is fairly solid given the number of years they've been in the league, but agreed 25 would start to be a bit much. Most people here probably don't remember guys like Mike LeClerc and Niklas Havelid

Also, agree on Hebert. The format of 2L, 2C, etc seems limiting. There's going to be lots of teams where the debate might be between 3 players at one position

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Selanne, period.

Starts getting tougher right after that. I think #2 is between Getzlaf and Kariya.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Idk it could still be an interesting battle through the top ten.

Selanne
Getzlaf
Kariya
Giguere
Niedermayer
Perry
Beauchemin
Pronger
Gibson
Hiller

Would be my list and I'm sure other Ducks fans might have some disagreements with that.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Idk it could still be an interesting battle through the top ten.

Selanne
Getzlaf
Kariya
Giguere
Niedermayer
Perry
Beauchemin
Pronger
Gibson
Hiller

Would be my list and I'm sure other Ducks fans might have some disagreements with that.

That’s my whole point though, you have a guy who played 3 seasons ranked 8th.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Is this peak, prime, or longevity? Because if it’s peak/prime then Niedermayer destroys everybody else. If it’s for longevity with a high level of play it’s Teemu followed closely behind by Getzlaf.

As for the poll, how is Fowler an option over Pronger and Kunitz over McDonald or Ryan?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Bobby Ryan pretty much always played left wing in Anaheim. He should be an option over Kunitz if you’re that committed to this format

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That’s my whole point though, you have a guy who played 3 seasons ranked 8th.

Yea, but it's 3 prime years plus a bunch of playoff success for a top 25 defender of all time. He probably brought more value to the Ducks in those 3 years than any Canucks defenseman did in their entire tenure.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Locks as I see it:

1. Selänne
2. Kariya
3. Getzlaf

Fourth probably Niedermayer before Giguère.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Is this peak, prime, or longevity? Because if it’s peak/prime then Niedermayer destroys everybody else. If it’s for longevity with a high level of play it’s Teemu followed closely behind by Getzlaf.

As for the poll, how is Fowler an option over Pronger and Kunitz over McDonald or Ryan?

Was Niedermayer's peak with ANA really better than Selanne's or Kariya's? I don't usually think of Nieds as a high peak guy TBH.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Selanne, period.

Starts getting tougher right after that. I think #2 is between Getzlaf and Kariya.

I'd probably pick Getzy over Paul. It's close though. Kariya was better player but Getz has been the face of the franchise for so long.

Teemu is #1, I agree. His impact on the ice and community is second to none.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd probably pick Getzy over Paul. It's close though. Kariya was better player but Getz has been the face of the franchise for so long.

Yeah that's fair. I suppose my calculus is that Paul was really the first Anaheim superstar and was central in making the team relevant. Getzlaf has the longevity to match Selanne and by all accounts is second to him in terms of being a face of the franchise.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Was Niedermayer's peak with ANA really better than Selanne's or Kariya's? I don't usually think of Nieds as a high peak guy TBH.

Niedermayer in 2005-06 was the best season I’ve ever seen by a Ducks player by far. He controlled the pace of every game. I don’t know how he didn’t get the Norris that year but Lidstrom was also in the prime of his career so his competition was tough. He followed it up with another Norris nomination in 07 and was a top 5 Dman league wide through to the end of 09.

The only season that comes close to his peak was Teemu in 97-98 but I still rate Nieds ahead.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I’m not sure Kariya was the better player. Kariya was certainly the better offensive player although when you look at their point finishes in a Ducks uniform Getzlaf is very comparable. When factoring in defensive game and playoff resumes though I think Getzlaf comes out ahead by quite a bit. Getz also has a better Hart trophy voting record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad