Top 25 NHL Prospects Playing in the OHL - Summer 2020 Edition

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
As has become regular practice now, following the conclusion of my NHL team write ups ('31 Teams in 31 Days'), I give you a list of the top prospects who played in the OHL during the previous season. In this case, it was the 2019/20 season. The list is capped at 25, with some honorable mentions. I'm also going to keep the write ups slightly short. If you want to read more about these guys, simply click on their NHL team in brackets and you'll be taken to the team's '31 in 31" from this summer and you'll get a detailed write up on their skill set and progression.

Given the late date of the NHL draft and the pandemic situation, undrafted players are appearing on this list for the first time; only 2020 eligibles, however. After the draft, I'll go back and complete write ups for these players on their NHL teams '31 in 31' write ups. For now, I've linked their draft ranking write ups.

OHL Prospects: Top 25 OHL Prospects - Summer of 2020

1. Quinton Byfield - Center - Sudbury Wolves (2020 Draft Eligible)
A very likely candidate to go in the top three of the 2020 NHL Draft, Byfield is potentially the complete package as a new age NHL center. He has the size, power, and skill to dominate the game in every facet. Of course, he's still young and his game is certainly not flawless. I don't believe that he is NHL ready at this current time. However, if we're looking at potential impact at the NHL level, Byfield has to be number one, just as he was number one in my NHL draft rankings for the OHL in 2020.
Advanced Stats
Scoring Chances (per/game): 2.36 - 22/27
Passes Completed Percentage (per/game): 80.9% - 8/27
Challenges Won Percentage (per/game): 54.5% - 3/27
Takeaways (per/game): 5.69 - 2/27
Total Zone Entries (per/game): 8.38 - 7/27
Average Cumulative Ranking: 8.4/27
NHL Comparison: Evgeni Malkin

2. Jamie Drysdale - Defense - Erie Otters (2020 Draft Eligible)
My second ranked prospect for the 2020 NHL Draft, Drysdale is expected to be the first or second defender off the board and could go as high as the top 5. He still has a lot of physical maturation to do, which should help him become more difficult to match up against defensively. However, his elite skating ability and high end vision/decision making make him the perfect modern age defender.
Advanced Stats
Scoring Chances (per/game): 0.76 - 9/13
Passes Completed Percentage (per/game): 86.8% - 1/13
Challenges Won Percentage (per/game): 55.9% - 11/13
Takeaways (per/game): 8 - 11/13
Total Zone Entries (per/game): 5.9 - 4/13
Average Cumulative Ranking: 7.2/13
NHL Comparison: Dan Boyle

3. Marco Rossi - Center - Ottawa 67's (2020 Draft Eligible)
The reigning Red Tilson Trophy winner as the OHL's most outstanding player, Rossi heads into the 2020 NHL Draft as my 3rd ranked prospect from the OHL. That also puts him third on this list. The competitive, playmaking pivot has such a strong internal drive to be the best that it is pretty hard to see him not succeeding in becoming an NHL player. His work ethic on the ice is matched off the ice. The only question is, just how effective can he be offensively at the NHL level. Is he a top line center or more of a middle six guy? Obviously, with this ranking, I see him becoming one of the stronger two-way centers in the NHL.
Advanced Stats
Scoring Chances (per/game): 3.09 - 10/27
Passes Completed Percentage (per/game): 82.6% - 5/27
Challenges Won Percentage (per/game): 48.4% - 13/27
Takeaways (per/game): 4.86 - 8/27
Total Zone Entries (per/game): 6.76 - 16/27
Average Cumulative Ranking: 10.4/27
NHL Comparison: Henrik Zetterberg

4. Cole Perfetti - Center/Left Wing - Saginaw Spirit (2020 Draft Eligible)
An incredibly intelligent, creative, and well rounded offensive player, Perfetti should be a shoe in to be a top 10 selection at the NHL draft in October. Much is made of his lack of explosiveness as a skater, however, he dismantles defensive coverage with his vision, skill, and high end agility. He has a real chance to be among the leading scorers in the NHL for many years to come.
Advanced Stats
Scoring Chances (per/game): 3.87 - 4/27
Passes Completed Percentage (per/game): 83.7% - 2/27
Challenges Won Percentage (per/game): 48% - 16/27
Takeaways (per/game): 4.72 - 10/27
Total Zone Entries (per/game): 7.84 - 9/27
Average Cumulative Ranking: 8.2/27
NHL Comparison: Daniel Alfredsson

5. Nick Robertson - Left Wing - Peterborough Petes (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Few prospects in the world of hockey were able to elevate their status the way that Robertson did this year. A second round selection a year ago, Robertson exploded as the top goal scorer in the OHL, improving his strength and skating ability in order to make a more consistent impact. Of course, he also made waves by suiting up for the Maple Leafs in the playoffs this year. Armed with one of the better shots to come through the OHL the last few seasons, Robertson looks poised to have a long career as a top six NHL forward.
Advanced Stats
Scoring Chances (per/game): 4.02 - 2/27
Passes Completed Percentage (per/game): 83.2% - 4/27
Challenges Won Percentage (per/game): 50.2% - 7/27
Takeaways (per/game): 5.15 - 5/27
Total Zone Entries (per/game): 9.47 - 4/27
Average Cumulative Ranking: 4.4/27
NHL Comparison: Milan Hejduk

6. Jack Quinn
7. Thomas Harley
8. Philip Tomasino
9. Connor McMichael
10. Ryan Merkley
11. Jan Jenik
12. Ty Dellandrea
13. Liam Foudy
14. Arthur Kaliyev
15. Jan Mysak
16. Kevin Bahl
17. Alec Regula
18. Ryan O'Rourke
19. Bode Wilde
20. Ryan Suzuki
21. Martin Chromiak
22. Jacob Perreault
23. Tyson Foerster
24. Jamieson Rees
25. Akil Thomas

Check the link for all the full write ups and the numerous HM's.

Happy to answer any questions and discuss the rankings.

Reactions: ohloutsider

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Interesting as always Brock. Was a bit surprised Graham Clarke did not get at least an HM. I know he missed most of the year due to injury but he did show well in limited time pre/post injury. Comments?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Interesting as always Brock. Was a bit surprised Graham Clarke did not get at least an HM. I know he missed most of the year due to injury but he did show well in limited time pre/post injury. Comments?

Clarke was definitely one of the last cuts (along with Vukojevic, Dudas, and Gogolev).

Ultimately, it's hard to say that any of the areas of his game truly took a step forward this year with such limited time due to that shoulder injury. In particular, I didn't see great improvement in his skating and explosiveness, which is obviously going to be the key to unlocking his potential as an NHL player.

I do expect that he'll have a great year this upcoming season and that we could very well see him inside the Top 25, let alone as an HM.

Reactions: sirius67fan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3