Top 25 Goalie Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Rowsdower said:
How has his stock dropped 'dramatically'? Is this in reference to his first 5 games of the season? People are putting way to much emphasis on these games....not trying to single you out, I see it everywhere lately, and it's starting to bug me. Also, nothing about the WJC last year please....the team lost that game, not an individual. I really fail to see how Fleury's stock has fell in any great signifigance....

He was jerked around like crazy last year, but even in his brief stint in the bigs, he has shown he has unbelievable skills...I think he just needs some time to get it together. I could say his stock may have dropped slightly since being drafted, but I would still be confident with the Pens drafting him 1st overall again today.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with your second statement. In fact, I highly a doubt a single GM in the entire league would take any goaltending prospect not named Lehtonen over Fleury.

I think most people still think he'll be great, and I agree with you both that he's the second best goalie prospect out theres... but his stock is falling because

a)He didn't play particularly well in the Q playoffs last year, and got outplayed in a series by one of his competitors.

b)He's not started particularly well this year

c)WJC - only 1 game, so you can't put too much stock in it, but again he was outplayed by another goalie prospect.

It's all relative right? He started off as a sure fire Roy a few years ago, and he's just lost a bit of his mistique.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
oil slick said:
I think most people still think he'll be great, and I agree with you both that he's the second best goalie prospect out theres... but his stock is falling because

a)He didn't play particularly well in the Q playoffs last year, and got outplayed in a series by one of his competitors.

b)He's not started particularly well this year

c)WJC - only 1 game, so you can't put too much stock in it, but again he was outplayed by another goalie prospect.

It's all relative right? He started off as a sure fire Roy a few years ago, and he's just lost a bit of his mistique.

a) He had a forgettable playoffs, I'll give you that.
b) Again, we're like what, two weeks into the season? A few notable young tenders, Lehtonen included, have had mediocre starts. I can't see it continuing months longer. If Fleury has comparable stats in a month or so, then I'll start getting scared.
c) Fair statement. I just recall bitter Canada fans slandering Fleury as the 'only reason' the team lost, and throwing out 'bust' and names of the like.

Also, I highly doubt anyone was pegging Fleury as a surefire Roy....Roy is arguably the best goaltender in NHL history. IMO, it would be foolish to peg an 18 year old as such, even one as skilled as Fleury. I am certainly not going to hold my breath for such a prophecy.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Can't let this statement slide, sorry Lev ;-)

I've seen this thought posted over and over since the Rangers drafted Montoya. The only back-up for it I've ever heard was that Michigan is such a dominant program that his numbers were inflated.... but seriously, how compelling is that? The guy wins games by the bushel. He's got every physical tool you could want; size, athleticism, reflexes, puck-handling. He's got a big game resume and he out-played the un-impeachable MA Fleury at last year's WJC.

Seriously, what's he supposed to do to be any better? How can we hold his team against him? And how overrated can he be when everyone on the boards calls him overratred everytime his name comes up?

well i don't know about other people, i just felt that right before the draft, a lot of hype started up about him and he was hyped up a pretty fair amount. from the media and stuff for some reason. i'm not really saying fans overrate him or anything, i just felt, like i said, he got some hype that inflated him a little before the draft. so i feel that he was a little overrated in that regard.

i guess it's a nitpicky point between the people around here or wherever saying he's overrated and underrated and just how i felt at the time. i don't care too much what people think around here about him, and yeah he's probably underrated here. i don't know if i'm making sense anymore...eh, someone can muddle it out

AG9NK35DT8*

goalienut said:
Who (in your opinion) are the top 25 goalie prospects?
The 5 top are these. think
1 Lehtonen
2 Fleury
3 Miller
4 Toivonen
5 Leclaire

I'm just not sure on the order of the next 20
This is my 6-25

6 Ouellet
7 Emery
8 Bryzgalov
9 Auld
10 Montoya
11 Ahonen
12 Ward
13 LeNevue
14 Shcwarz(?)
15 Jeff Deslauriers(?)
16 Mikael Tellqvist
17 Leighton/Anderson
18 Antero Niittymaki
19 Stefan Liv
20 Phillipe Sauve
21 Jason Bacashiua
22 Josh Harding
23 Devan Dubnyk
24 Andy Chiodo
25 Dan Ellis
What do you think?
this comment isnt just because im a NYR fan, but, for what ever reason Dan Blackburn is not listed .And imo should be in the top 7 or 8 prospects. Besides his injury now the kid has the potential to be even top 5 or 6, I also think you have leclaire to high i dont see him as a top goalie at all maybe around the 9 mark give or take.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
J17ster said:
David Shantz should be in the top 25

ahead of who??? u think he's proven more than the numerous names that have been thrown out there??? i could probably list 35 guys and shantz's name wouldnt even begin to come to mind.... but then again, its all a crapshoot and matter of opinion once u get thru the first 10-15 names anyway

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
AG9NK35DT8 said:
this comment isnt just because im a NYR fan, but, for what ever reason Dan Blackburn is not listed .And imo should be in the top 7 or 8 prospects. Besides his injury now the kid has the potential to be even top 5 or 6, I also think you have leclaire to high i dont see him as a top goalie at all maybe around the 9 mark give or take.

untill blackburn plays a game and shows that he's fully healthy I don't think he should be on any lists.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
xander said:
untill blackburn plays a game and shows that he's fully healthy I don't think he should be on any lists.

unfortunate but true.... my brother in law runs goalie camps in the summer and said that danny has a lot of work to do before making it back from this injury.... the muscles in his shoulder area so severely underdevoped that it appears as though he has a hole in his upper back

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
unfortunate but true.... my brother in law runs goalie camps in the summer and said that danny has a lot of work to do before making it back from this injury.... the muscles in his shoulder area so severely underdevoped that it appears as though he has a hole in his upper back

that's basically what i've heard as well...that the nerve is doing ok but he lost so much to muscle atrophy that it's difficult for him to make a glove save. so he has to get himself back up to strength. but they did say (they being the rangers or someone, can't remember exactly who it was, someone in the org.) that he was in great shape other than that shoulder.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
BuppY said:
what are you smoking? Fleury? #5 after Quellet and Emery? and no Tellqvist? :eek: :banghead: :help:

Why is it sacriledge to rate Fleury outside the top 2 goaltending prospects in the world? I just don't think he's that good, and top-5 is still a pretty hefty compliment. He's a good goaltending prospect, but IMO there's no way in hell he should have gone #1 overall or been in the NHL last year, and I think the hype on him far exceeds his actual ability. He just doesn't impress me as much as the guys I rated ahead of him.

Tellqvist is 25. He's not a prospect anymore. And even if he was, he hasn't been terribly impressive in his NHL stints.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
fedorov_jr said:
ahead of who??? u think he's proven more than the numerous names that have been thrown out there??? i could probably list 35 guys and shantz's name wouldnt even begin to come to mind.... but then again, its all a crapshoot and matter of opinion once u get thru the first 10-15 names anyway

This threads about prospects and potential, not how proven he is. anyway this kid took the Mississauga IceDogs to the eastern finals. so has proven he can handle pressure.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
J17ster said:
This threads about prospects and potential, not how proven he is. anyway this kid took the Mississauga IceDogs to the eastern finals. so has proven he can handle pressure.

often times a lot of these guys need to show what they've got in order to make the move up the prospect ladder.... just cuz shantz took his team to the easter finals is that supposed to merit a top 25 spot for him? does kelly guard deserve the same because he took his team all the way to the memorial cup championship? what about dave leneveu from what he did in the NCAA a year or 2 ago? maybe, maybe not...

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Ok here's mine

1 Lehtonen
2 Fleury
3 Toivonen
4 Lundqvist
5 Bryzgalov
6 Emery
7 Miller
8 Ouellet
9 Niittymaki