Top 25 Goalie Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalienut

Jun 16, 2004
PA, Sk.
www.freewebs.com
Who (in your opinion) are the top 25 goalie prospects?
The 5 top are these. think
1 Lehtonen
2 Fleury
3 Miller
4 Toivonen
5 Leclaire

I'm just not sure on the order of the next 20
This is my 6-25

6 Ouellet
7 Emery
8 Bryzgalov
9 Auld
10 Montoya
11 Ahonen
12 Ward
13 LeNevue
14 Shcwarz(?)
15 Jeff Deslauriers(?)
16 Mikael Tellqvist
17 Leighton/Anderson
18 Antero Niittymaki
19 Stefan Liv
20 Phillipe Sauve
21 Jason Bacashiua
22 Josh Harding
23 Devan Dubnyk
24 Andy Chiodo
25 Dan Ellis
What do you think?

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
goalienut said:
The 5 top are these. There is pretty much no question about these 5 I think
1 Lehtonen
2 Fleury
3 Miller
4 Toivonen
5 Leclaire

This is my 6-25

6 Ouellet
7 Emery
8 Bryzgalov
9 Auld
10 Montoya
11 Ahonen
12 Ward
13 LeNevue
14 Shcwarz(?)
15 Jeff Deslauriers(?)
16 Mikael Tellqvist
17 Leighton/Anderson
18 Antero Niittymaki
19 Stefan Liv
20 Phillipe Sauve
21 Jason Bacashiua
22 Josh Harding
23 Devan Dubnyk
24 Andy Chiodo
25 Dan Ellis
What do you think?

1. Lehtonen
2. Fleury
3. Schwarz
4. Ouellet
5. Toivonen

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Lundqvist is 9-3 with a 1.54 GAA and a Save % of .945 in the Swedish Elite League. Which isnt a small task. Hes well ahead of Montoya IMO.

I'd honestly put him number top 5.What kind of numbers does he have to put up to get as much credit as these guys?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
1. Lehtonen
2. Fleury
3. Toivonen
4. Lundqvist
5. Miller (I could go with a bunch of guys here. I think Miller is very overrated and it didnt help how he was handled. But nobody else stands out before him to me)

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
goalienut said:
oops! forgot Lundqvist.
Nobody thinks much of Miller do they?

Like I said. Two years ago or something I'd say hes a top 3 goalie prospect. But IMO he hasnt gotten too far and hasnt lived up to all the hype hes gotten.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NYRangers said:
Like I said. Two years ago or something I'd say hes a top 3 goalie prospect. But IMO he hasnt gotten too far and hasnt lived up to all the hype hes gotten.

How can he when he only plays a handful of games? There is no way a goalie can prove what he can do in only a few games. He can't get into any sort of rhythm at all. Plus, let's not forget that many of his games were played behind a terrible Buffalo defence. It's just like every other prospect in hockey, they become the flavour of the day or the throw away of the day. It's pretty pathetic. A guy can go from a guaranteed star to a bum overnight.

Interesting how no one has said anything about the original post that lists LeClaire is a top 5 goalie "that no one could argue with". Well I definitely can. I don't even consider him a top 10 goalie at this point.

goalienut

Jun 16, 2004
PA, Sk.
www.freewebs.com
Kritty said:
How can he when he only plays a handful of games? There is no way a goalie can prove what he can do in only a few games. He can't get into any sort of rhythm at all. Plus, let's not forget that many of his games were played behind a terrible Buffalo defence. It's just like every other prospect in hockey, they become the flavour of the day or the throw away of the day. It's pretty pathetic. A guy can go from a guaranteed star to a bum overnight.

Interesting how no one has said anything about the original post that lists LeClaire is a top 5 goalie "that no one could argue with". Well I definitely can. I don't even consider him a top 10 goalie at this point.
You feel that strongly about Leclaire. I thought that he had steadily improved since he came into the AHL

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
goalienut said:
1 Lehtonen
2 Fleury
3 Miller
4 Toivonen
5 Leclaire

This is my 6-25

6 Ouellet
7 Emery
8 Bryzgalov
9 Auld
10 Montoya
11 Ahonen
12 Ward
13 LeNevue
14 Shcwarz(?)
15 Jeff Deslauriers(?)
16 Mikael Tellqvist
17 Leighton/Anderson
18 Antero Niittymaki
19 Stefan Liv
20 Phillipe Sauve
21 Jason Bacashiua
22 Josh Harding
23 Devan Dubnyk
24 Andy Chiodo
25 Dan Ellis
What do you think?
Tellqvist is definitely too high, no way is he better than Niittymaki.

CaptainBure

Sep 3, 2004
To be honest, I think its truly time to start calling Henrik Lundquivst a top 10 goalie prospect,the guy is the real deal mcneal. Not only has he owned the SEL for the past few years,but he is this year as well, against the likes of Peter Forsberg and crew, and the irreplacable Boo Ahl of course. But seriously, there is a valid argument of him readjusitg to North American play, but if were talking based on potential alone,lundquivst is top 10,possibly top 5, the guy just flat out dominates whoever he plays.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
I find it weird that so many posters have Schwarz rated so highly when clearly the guys who get paid millions (NHL GMs) apparently didn't think much of him a few months ago. With no games to really talk about since the draft, I don't see how anyone could reasonably rate Schwarz ahead of Montoya... or really Dubynk either (though I suppose Dubynk was at least a 'surprise' pick).

Also very curious why Pascal LeClaire and Ari Ahonen are rated so highly. Neither has made the NHL yet, and neither has exactly lit the AHL ablaze. Ahonen in particular is getting pretty old and still hasn't done much (even in the AHL) to be considered a really top flight guy.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Keep an eye on Brian Finley this year for Milwaukee of the AHL. This season will go a long way in determining whether he deserves to be mentioned in this thread or in one of the many threads on this board with the word 'Bust' tattooed all over it.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Kubera55 said:
I find it weird that so many posters have Schwarz rated so highly when clearly the guys who get paid millions (NHL GMs) apparently didn't think much of him a few months ago. With no games to really talk about since the draft, I don't see how anyone could reasonably rate Schwarz ahead of Montoya... or really Dubynk either (though I suppose Dubynk was at least a 'surprise' pick).

Also very curious why Pascal LeClaire and Ari Ahonen are rated so highly. Neither has made the NHL yet, and neither has exactly lit the AHL ablaze. Ahonen in particular is getting pretty old and still hasn't done much (even in the AHL) to be considered a really top flight guy.

Ahonen still has Lou's shine on him. I think that is what is keeping him up in the minds of people. A lot of people have a LOT of faith in Lou's drafting ability. I know I do

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
To be honest, I think its truly time to start calling Henrik Lundquivst a top 10 goalie prospect,the guy is the real deal mcneal. Not only has he owned the SEL for the past few years,but he is this year as well, against the likes of Peter Forsberg and crew, and the irreplacable Boo Ahl of course. But seriously, there is a valid argument of him readjusitg to North American play, but if were talking based on potential alone,lundquivst is top 10,possibly top 5, the guy just flat out dominates whoever he plays.

damn right...i'll chalk it up to forgetting about lundqvist when i see people putting liv on the list but not lundqvist...this is a guy leading the swedish league in all goaltending stats....and keep in mind that kippursoff is playing in that league too

he's playing unreal and he's developed into a great goaltending prospect. there's absolutely no reason he doesn't deserve consideration on a list like this. and he's only 22 as well

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
s7ark said:
Ahonen still has Lou's shine on him. I think that is what is keeping him up in the minds of people. A lot of people have a LOT of faith in Lou's drafting ability. I know I do

Granted, Lou's picked a heck of a lot of winners.

But, and I don't want to come off as a homer here, but compare Ahonen's recent accomplishment's to Jason Labarberra's (and 'Barbs is only a year older) and Ahonen isn't exactly running away with the race. And even as a Ranger fan I don't believe Labarberra belongs anywhere on this list.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
goalienut said:
1 Lehtonen
2 Fleury
3 Miller
4 Toivonen
5 Leclaire

This is my 6-25

6 Ouellet
7 Emery
8 Bryzgalov
9 Auld
10 Montoya
11 Ahonen
12 Ward
13 LeNevue
14 Shcwarz(?)
15 Jeff Deslauriers(?)
16 Mikael Tellqvist
17 Leighton/Anderson
18 Antero Niittymaki
19 Stefan Liv
20 Phillipe Sauve
21 Jason Bacashiua
22 Josh Harding
23 Devan Dubnyk
24 Andy Chiodo
25 Dan Ellis
What do you think?

Yes I'm a habs fan but Yann Danis is a lot better than Dan Ellis and also a lot of guys on that list.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
ax²+bx+c said:
Yes I'm a habs fan but Yann Danis is a lot better than Dan Ellis and also a lot of guys on that list.

How the hell so? Based on the 2 games you've seen Ellis play?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I personally think that Wade Dubielewicz deserves to be on any top 25 goalie prospect list, with the way he's played so far in his pro career. There is a reason he's the second rated prospect on the Islanders at HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->