Top 25 Calder Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
As someone stated before, how can Michalek not be on the list?

Oh, and Getzlaf should be on the list.

This is such a crap shoot

I can think of 40 guys and all of them have an equal chance at winning it.

And yes guys like Michalek and Getzlaf sould most defently be on there.

XxPhaneufxX

Jul 1, 2004
sharkyz15 said:
This is such a crap shoot

I can think of 40 guys and all of them have an equal chance at winning it.

And yes guys like Michalek and Getzlaf sould most defently be on there.

Pretty much sums it up. Any one of those guys have an equal chance of winning the calder.

Randall Graves*

Theres igor grigorenko and jozef balej but no ryan getzlaf? Getzlaf even if he doesn't score will be good because of his defense and physical play.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
XxPhaneufxX said:
Pretty much sums it up. Any one of those guys have an equal chance of winning the calder.

Yep. Many people thought Eero Somervuori and Petr Sejna would be in the race for the Calder at this point last year. Nobody mentioned guys like Ryan Malone and very few mentioned Raycroft.

Next Best Thing*

417 TO MTL said:
What's with the sudden infatuation with Josef Balej? just wondering...

IMO, he was outshined my our superior prospects. I don't know what NY has in terms of young talent, but I guess they have very high expectations for him there.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
Yep. Many people thought Eero Somervuori and Petr Sejna would be in the race for the Calder at this point last year. Nobody mentioned guys like Ryan Malone and very few mentioned Raycroft.

I remember people calling Raycroft overrated last year before the season started... :lol

Too bad the history don't go back that far to see who said that again... :)

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I am a little surprised that Lehtonen is ranked at number one.

Yeah, he finished great which stuck in everyone's minds and Raycroft's success probably influenced his ranking. But I still expect him to struggle for stretches of the season, especially on an offensive team like the Thrashers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was interested to see Globke listed. Florida fans: is there a chance he could have an impact with the Panthers this year? IMO, he might make a better pro than college player. Kind of reminds me of Bill Guerin. Power forward tools, but more of a "finesse" player.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
IMO, he was outshined my our superior prospects. I don't know what NY has in terms of young talent, but I guess they have very high expectations for him there.

eh...i think some people might overrate balej some and i think some underrate him...montreal has prospects that were more "sexy" than balej but considering he was hamiltons leading scorer till he got traded, and did quite well in the AHL playoffs as well...i'd say you shouldn't sell him short. no one in new york thinks he's gonna become the next super star but he should be a good offensive 2nd line player. after a slow start in NY (he wasn't given a lot of icetime in the early games) he really turned some heads with his play...quick, fast, creative, exciting...he will also go to the net to make plays happen (doesn't just float around the perimeter) and is very good at puck retrieval as well. scored a nice goal against broduer and had several nice assists as well...he should get primo ice time next year on the rangers and have a good shot at putting up a nice number of points.

i think he has the right kind of attitude to succeed, especially in new york, and should be a pretty valuable part of the rangers future.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Levitate said:
eh...i think some people might overrate balej some and i think some underrate him...montreal has prospects that were more "sexy" than balej but considering he was hamiltons leading scorer till he got traded, and did quite well in the AHL playoffs as well...i'd say you shouldn't sell him short. no one in new york thinks he's gonna become the next super star but he should be a good offensive 2nd line player. after a slow start in NY (he wasn't given a lot of icetime in the early games) he really turned some heads with his play...quick, fast, creative, exciting...he will also go to the net to make plays happen (doesn't just float around the perimeter) and is very good at puck retrieval as well. scored a nice goal against broduer and had several nice assists as well...he should get primo ice time next year on the rangers and have a good shot at putting up a nice number of points.

i think he has the right kind of attitude to succeed, especially in new york, and should be a pretty valuable part of the rangers future.

Funny how all these great things about Balej are being said after he gets traded :shakehead

CH Wizard

If Junior Lessard will play for the stars next year he can be in the top 25.He'll put up good numbers for sure playing with experienced center like Turgeon or Modano.

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Pens4ever said:

You can include Ryder and Bergeron too the list

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alouette_19 said:
You can include Ryder and Bergeron too the list
"To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible"

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Oiltalk said:
"To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible"

He's talking about the list of prospects that people didn't talk about for being in Calder contention last year. I didn't put Ryder down because i do remember him being touted by Montreal fans quite a bit. Bergeron, like Malone, is one nobody expected to make the NHL, let alone have such an impact.

CoolburnIsGone

Rabid Ranger said:
I was interested to see Globke listed. Florida fans: is there a chance he could have an impact with the Panthers this year? IMO, he might make a better pro than college player. Kind of reminds me of Bill Guerin. Power forward tools, but more of a "finesse" player.
I was interested as well since I've had to defend why I had him higher than Novak & Campbell on the top 20 list for FL when I helped rank them and even more recently on the FL board. I'm not so much a FL fan anymore as I am a fan of Globke. I think Guerin may be a bit too high on his potential but a 2nd line RW scoring option with good size and wheels is a bit more fair. FL seems pretty deep with young, big scoring options on the right side though (Horton, Globke & Stewart). Maybe Globke ends up elsewhere. :dunno: But there's been no press about him making the lineup next season. I expected him to play in San Antonio next yr just so he gets used to the speed of the pro game.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
Pens4ever said:
He's talking about the list of prospects that people didn't talk about for being in Calder contention last year. I didn't put Ryder down because i do remember him being touted by Montreal fans quite a bit. Bergeron, like Malone, is one nobody expected to make the NHL, let alone have such an impact.

The thing is, Montreal fans were touting Ryder as a potential 4th liner at the beginning of the season. Much like Jason Ward... just not as good. What Michael Ryder did last season shocked almost every single habs fan, which is saying alot because i think we all know how excited we can get over our prospects. :innocent:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Aki Fan said:
its one person's view

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think that's he dosen't warrant it, I think Balej is a tremendous talent, I just find it amusing how he wasn't on anybody's radar when Habs fans mentionned how good he could be, as soon as he's traded, everyone sees the same talent we've been talking about since he was drafted...same thing happened when the Habs traded Garon, he went from being a backup goalie who nobody wanted on waivers, to the Kings next great goalie...double standards...but who's complaining right :dunno:

33MaxO

Jul 26, 2004
Am i the only one that see's that Balej only had one goal in 17 games last year as a 22 year old? I know stats dont tell everything, but i was never too impressed with him when i saw him.

I do like Svatos' chances of winning though, but not because he is the best rookie, but because his stats are going to be balloned on Colorado.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
33MaxO said:
Am i the only one that see's that Balej only had one goal in 17 games last year as a 22 year old? I know stats dont tell everything, but i was never too impressed with him when i saw him.

I do like Svatos' chances of winning though, but not because he is the best rookie, but because his stats are going to be balloned on Colorado.

Just like Selanne's...

:teach:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Funny how all these great things about Balej are being said after he gets traded

I'm a rangers fan, what do you expect? i didn't watch him in hamilton or in his short stint with montreal...i'm just going by what i saw with my own eyes.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think that's he dosen't warrant it, I think Balej is a tremendous talent, I just find it amusing how he wasn't on anybody's radar when Habs fans mentionned how good he could be, as soon as he's traded, everyone sees the same talent we've been talking about since he was drafted...same thing happened when the Habs traded Garon, he went from being a backup goalie who nobody wanted on waivers, to the Kings next great goalie...double standards...but who's complaining right

again...i didn't see balej or know a ton about him until the trade...then i learned more about him and watched him play...i'm just commenting on what i saw with my own eyes, is there something wrong with that? it's not like i was running around saying he was crap until the rangers got him and then thought he was god.

well he got better towards the last few games as well...he hit several posts, and i remember a great move he put on biron in a game against buffalo that biron saved out of pure luck. and like i said he made several nice plays to set up other players too. he had the primary assist on messier last NHL goal (or at least last rangers goal...i hope...i pray)

i think he has a shot at the calder but he might kind of have to overachieve to do it...i expect something more like he'll take a season to really get his legs in the NHL and then he'll get going (similar to his AHL career). but with lots of playing time, lots of PP time...he could put up good numbers. i'm sorry if you didn't see much out of him, but i watched every game he played as a ranger and i think the guy has got what it takes

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Levitate said:
I'm a rangers fan, what do you expect? i didn't watch him in hamilton or in his short stint with montreal...i'm just going by what i saw with my own eyes.

again...i didn't see balej or know a ton about him until the trade...then i learned more about him and watched him play...i'm just commenting on what i saw with my own eyes, is there something wrong with that? it's not like i was running around saying he was crap until the rangers got him and then thought he was god.

well he got better towards the last few games as well...he hit several posts, and i remember a great move he put on biron in a game against buffalo that biron saved out of pure luck. and like i said he made several nice plays to set up other players too. he had the primary assist on messier last NHL goal (or at least last rangers goal...i hope...i pray)

i think he has a shot at the calder but he might kind of have to overachieve to do it...i expect something more like he'll take a season to really get his legs in the NHL and then he'll get going (similar to his AHL career). but with lots of playing time, lots of PP time...he could put up good numbers. i'm sorry if you didn't see much out of him, but i watched every game he played as a ranger and i think the guy has got what it takes

I wasn't singling you out when I posted that BTW, it was just a general observation directed at everyone who would bash Habs fans whenever anything was posted about him when he was with the Habs, I wasn't talking to you directly

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
alright...just felt with the quote and all it was directed a little more towards me...

i've actually seen a lot of habs fan downplay him a lot after the trade too...or at least seem like they never liked him. sooo...eh. for kovalev, it was a killer deal for the rangers. a 2nd rounder and balej...fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->