Top 20 skaters 20 years and younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Sure. Vanek is going to pull a Lemieux on us.
Never said he was. Simply meant that there all sorts of guys whose talent got them alot furthur than other guys who were way harder workers but not near as talented.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sammy said:
Never said he was. Simply meant that there all sorts of guys whose talent got them alot furthur than other guys who were way harder workers but not near as talented.

True. But the way you said it, it kind of implied that there was a very significant gap of talent/skills between Vanek and Parise. I don't think there is, even though like you, I like Vanek.

He's not special enough to get away with it like Lemieux and I think Parise has a good chance at becoming a better NHL player.

I favor Parise but not by much.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sammy said:
Question is, have you ever seen him play? He's got unbelievable moves & he's twice the size of your boy.
The only thing your boy has on him is he is a harder worker. Every other aspect of Vaneks game is superiour.
I really don't want to get into it with you over this but Parise's vision and playmaking abilities are leagues ahead of Vanek. Vanek is the stronger skater and has the better shot, thats about it. A hard working skilled player usually goes farther then a lazy skilled player. Your boy Vanek clearly doesn't have the work ethic Parise has.

gopher

Dec 5, 2002
Europe
www.legioxv.org
JasonMacIsaac said:
I really don't want to get into it with you over this but Parise's vision and playmaking abilities are leagues ahead of Vanek. Vanek is the stronger skater and has the better shot, thats about it. A hard working skilled player usually goes farther then a lazy skilled player. Your boy Vanek clearly doesn't have the work ethic Parise has.

are you shure that vanek is and will be ever lazy, do you know him?
i don´t think so ... he has a great heart, he will make his way!

nice artikel about him: click here ...

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Vanek has been labeled lazy since the draft, he has also been known to stay out of corners and wait for the puck to get to him.

"By Rachel Blount - Minneapolis Star Tribune"

How about reading some Toronto Maple Leafs articles from a local Toronto newspaper.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Vanek has been labeled lazy since the draft, he has also been known to stay out of corners and wait for the puck to get to him.

How about reading some Toronto Maple Leafs articles from a local Toronto newspaper.
He's also being labelled a supreme talent. Thats why he went 12 spots higher than Parise.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He went 12 spots ahead of Parise because of his size, and high end potential. I don't think skills are that much different, point totals in college are similar.

gopher

Dec 5, 2002
Europe
www.legioxv.org
JasonMacIsaac said:

lazy or not who really cares about that, always the same great argument, lol, vanek is a proven big time player, i´ve seen him playing in austria a few times, yes he has to work on his defense no doubt, but he knows it, so what ... let the time go by and then judge him fairly!

and i can also argue, that reading only biased newspapers from toronto or grand forks will give you a wrong perspective on vanek too!

but it´s always the same, parise fans aren´t vanek fans, so who cares ... it´s all about sympathy!

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I wasn't a Vanek fan going into the draft, I allways though he had great skill but defense and hard work are needed to make it into the NHL. Many don't like the comparison but Brendl couldn't cut it in the NHL. Pace and speed are different and pure skill won't cut it.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I follow a lot of college hockey and have seen both numerous times. Parise is a sure fire NHL'er. With his skill and effort he will be in the league for a long time - but whether he'll be a 1st liner is yet to be seen.

Vanek's talent is better suited for the NHL game, much more than Parise's. His upside is awsome with his size, reach and nose for the net. Yet despite all his talent, the guy is a loaf and has been since I first saw him in the UHSL. He can get away with it at the college level, but if he doesn't improve his effort and attitude he will become the next Brendl.

Sammy*

Zine said:
I follow a lot of college hockey and have seen both numerous times. Parise is a sure fire NHL'er. With his skill and effort he will be in the league for a long time - but whether he'll be a 1st liner is yet to be seen.

Vanek's talent is better suited for the NHL game, much more than Parise's. His upside is awsome with his size, reach and nose for the net. Yet despite all his talent, the guy is a loaf and has been since I first saw him in the UHSL. He can get away with it at the college level, but if he doesn't improve his effort and attitude he will become the next Brendl.
Your assesment seems spot on. I would like to also add that its not outside the realm of reasonable possibility that Parise will be a third/fourth line, which imo is virtually impossible for Vanek to be. .

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sammy said:
Your assesment seems spot on. I would like to also add that its not outside the realm of reasonable possibility that Parise will be a third/fourth line, which imo is virtually impossible for Vanek to be. .
But it is possible for Vanek in never make the NHL for a steady job. He is a bust boom prospect, which is why Parise to me is the better prospect.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Sammy said:

Yeah, I agree. Parise is most likely not first line material. An excellent 2/3 line center seems more likely. From what I've noticed he tends to be offensively shut down by strong physical play. But saying that, he still has other attributes which are valuable.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Zine said:
Yeah, I agree. Parise is most likely not first line material. An excellent 2/3 line center seems more likely. From what I've noticed he tends to be offensively shut down by strong physical play. But saying that, he still has other attributes which are valuable.
He assisted on the game tieing goal in the final game, he played excellent defense, he led the tourniment in scoring, yea I think he is a 2nd 3rd line player also. I guess you could say the same about Carter...He did nothing against the physical Stuart pairing.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Christ. The number of people who can't grasp the correct definition of a skater is alarming.

Before anyone embarasses him or herself further: a skater, for those who've been following hockey, is someone who isn't playing at the goalie position.

It's been said 2-3 times already on this thread but apparently, a 4th time wouldn't hurt.

you mean a goalie doesnt wear skates??????

:confused:

Sammy*

cybresabre said:
I thought I heard Tommy had a good attitude?
He supposedly does. Some people say he has a bad work ethic though.
Some get confused that there is actually a diifference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->