Top 20 Oilers Prospects (Poll #20)

20th Best Oilers Prospect

• Total voters

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Didn't really vote in many of these but I think that Kesselring will rise up the rankings for a lot of people this season.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
1. RD Evan Bouchard - 95%
2. LD Philip Broberg - 65%
3. LD Dimitri Samorukov - 49%
4. LW Tyler Benson - 65%
5. LD Caleb Jones - 50%
6. RW Kailer Yamamoto - 53%
7. RW Raphael Lavoie - 46%
8. C Ryan McLeod - 40%
9. C Cooper Marody - 42%
10. RD Ethan Bear - 45%
11. LD William Lagesson - 44%
12. RW Kirill Maksimov - 43%
13. RD Joel Persson - 68%
14. G Shane Starrett - 32%
15. G Ilya Konovalov - 33%
16. G Olivier Rodrigue - 32%
17. W Joseph Gambardella - 31%
18. G Stuart Skinner - 41%
19. RD Philip Berglund - 37%

halfway thru the NHL season, how does this list change for you guys?
current top 10? biggest riser? biggest disappointment?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
halfway thru the NHL season, how does this list change for you guys?
current top 10? biggest riser? biggest disappointment?

John Marino #1.
Bear #2.

Broberg and Samourukov last.

Joking.

With the power of hindsight that whole list is garbage.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
We didn’t even have Marino in our top 20. Shows how much can change in the span of a few months.

Reactions: Aerchon

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Samurakov was getting overrated the crap out of in his draft +2 year playing junior exactly like I said.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Samurakov was getting overrated the crap out of in his draft +2 year playing junior exactly like I said.

I was another that pointed that out. But. Hopefully he can adjust and grow like he did through his junior career.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I was another that pointed that out. But. Hopefully he can adjust and grow like he did through his junior career.
He’s a good prospect I think he has great upside. A victim of overrating is all.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Flip Samorukov with Bear and it's still good.
Broberg might be dropping down the list soon though.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Flip Samorukov with Bear and it's still good.
Broberg might be dropping down the list soon though.
John Marino looks pretty darn good for the pens. Another great D man that got away.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He's had a solid start to his pro career, it's far too early to say that hes been overrated. Unless people were saying that he was NHL ready already, he has a lots of time to develop.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
How is John Marino still on that list when he is lighting it up for the Penguins? Did we have a deal to loan Marino to the penguins for a year?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Been telling people for a couple years now that Bear was our best D prospect (aside from Bouchard, ofc). Why does no one ever believe me! :(

(Mostly joking, as I realize I'm wrong about as many other things or more. I'm not an ignorant moron... Well, okay, that's debatable.)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Is Samorukov having a poor season in the AHL or is it strictly a thing where people look at the numbers and claim he’s struggling? People in organization seem to
Still talk highly of him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's had a solid start to his pro career, it's far too early to say that hes been overrated. Unless people were saying that he was NHL ready already, he has a lots of time to develop.
The big argument I got from people was how “pro” of a game he plays and how he was going to seamlessly transition to pro. I threw out how Ethan Bear was WHL defensemen of the year in his draft +2 year but everyone seemed to think Samurokov’s game was on another level.

He’s a good prospect but not leaps and bounds ahead of a guy like Jones was at the time. Not close to Bouchard for example despite many people on here saying he was.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is Samorukov having a poor season in the AHL or is it strictly a thing where people look at the numbers and claim he’s struggling? People in organization seem to
Still talk highly of him.
He is still good but most here were claiming him to be a top 4 NHL Dman already making Nurse expendable and voted accordingly.

Many were offended when some thought he would be below Bouchard/Bear/Jones in the order.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Bear clearly should have been higher in retrospect, but there were valid reasons for why he slipped. None of us saw how much work he put into his game in the offseason.

Other than that, I don't see much difference to the list, but I'm looking at it through a future potential viewpoint. I still see Bouchard as ultimately being the best prospect on the list.

I never really bought into the hype that Samorukov would be ready this year, so I'm not disappointed that he hasn't made it to the NHL. The only player I'm a bit disappointed with is Benson, as he would be exactly what the team needs if he could have stepped up the game.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Marino either went to the Pens or made it clear he wasn't signing with the Oil, so there was no point including him at the time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He is still good but most here were claiming him to be a top 4 NHL Dman already making Nurse expendable and voted accordingly.

Many were offended when some thought he would be below Bouchard/Bear/Jones in the order.

any of the guys lower on the list making a big impression?
also what's your thoughts on lavoie?

I found the "passion" for Samourukov over those you listed very strange. To each their own but it was tough to read.

Lavoie:

I was expecting something more and different.

He hasn't scored yet. Which is surprising. But his overall play and positioning has been good. He is regularly finding open ice in high danger areas. He seemed to play a 200 foot game. Not afraid to use his size and strength.

He really reminds me of James Neal actually. Forcibly reminded of him stylistically.

He was called on to play a checking role and did so well.

I am concerned that his teammates looked off of him as often as I witnessed despite being open, ready, in a high danger scoring area. It "might" be due to his English second language aspect. He only speaks French?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I found the "passion" for Samourukov over those you listed very strange. To each their own but it was tough to read.

Lavoie:

I was expecting something more and different.

He hasn't scored yet. Which is surprising. But his overall play and positioning has been good. He is regularly finding open ice in high danger areas. He seemed to play a 200 foot game. Not afraid to use his size and strength.

He really reminds me of James Neal actually. Forcibly reminded of him stylistically.

He was called on to play a checking role and did so well.

I am concerned that his teammates looked off of him as often as I witnessed despite being open, ready, in a high danger scoring area. It "might" be due to his English second language aspect. He only speaks French?
Lavoie speaks pretty decent English from what I can recall last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad