Top 20 offensive defenseman prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
LittlePenguin66 said:
Who do you guys think are the top 20 off. defenseman prospects?
Only players with no NHL exp. please!

Dennis Wideman may be in there. He isn't a top rated prospect like Paneuaf or someone who gets a ton of press, but he is 3rd in rook. scoring in the AHL, as of last Sunday only 1 point behind the leaders, both of whom are forwards. He isn't the biggest d man, but he isn't small either.

He is someone to atleast consider.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Janne Niskala who is currently playing in the sm-liiga in Finland is supposedly a fair mix between kimmo timonen and marek zidlicky.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
not in a order, just random list:

Ryan Suter
Dion Phanuef
Cam Barker
Brent Seabrook
Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros
A.J. Thelen
Keith Ballard
Denis Grebeshkov
Kirill Koltsov
Alex Goligoski
Dennis Wideman
Noah Welch
Ladislav Smid
Johan Fransson
Shawn Belle
Jeff Woywitka
Ryan Whitney
Ian White

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I really really like Ian White, but honestly, I think anyone who projects him to take a regular shift in the NHL (opposed to playing almost exclusively on the PP) is sort of crazy.

But we'll see, you never really know what can happen

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
BuppY said:

Ryan Suter
Dion Phanuef
Cam Barker
Brent Seabrook
Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros
A.J. Thelen
Keith Ballard
Denis Grebeshkov
Kirill Koltsov
Alex Goligoski
Dennis Wideman
Noah Welch
Ladislav Smid
Johan Fransson
Shawn Belle
Jeff Woywitka
Ryan Whitney
Ian White

Love the way you just threw Ian White in there... :lol:

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
If a Rangers' prospect would make the list, I think it would be Pock though so far in the AHL, injuries have hindered him. Last year with the Rangers and in college he put up a ton of points after moving from wing to D.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
pöck moved to D several years ago, not just last year. just seemed kind of confusing the way you put it...

injuries have really hurt him this year though, plus he wasn't really used as the go to offensive guy when he was playing with the pack, and he was supposedly working more on his defense...

hope he gets healthy again soon

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Not that I'm putting Pock in this group at this point, but if I remember correctly he only played one year at college on D after switching from forward. That would make this his second year on defense. I might be wrong in that he played two years in college on D.... but thats def not several years by any means...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i thought he switched at least part way through his junior year or whatever...he had good years in 2003 and 2004, and i think he didn't really take off in college hockey until he switched to D

maybe someone can set us straight, i was just pretty sure last year wasn't his first year on D

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Barnaby said:
Not that I'm putting Pock in this group at this point, but if I remember correctly he only played one year at college on D after switching from forward. That would make this his second year on defense. I might be wrong in that he played two years in college on D.... but thats def not several years by any means...

funny thing is that he is still better than Poti at defense...

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Levitate said:
i thought he switched at least part way through his junior year or whatever...he had good years in 2003 and 2004, and i think he didn't really take off in college hockey until he switched to D

maybe someone can set us straight, i was just pretty sure last year wasn't his first year on D

Yea, I think that was the deal...

so your talking part of junior year, senior year, and he's been hurt most of his 3rd year.

So he has 2 years of D under his belt if that.... that's far from 'several' years...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well i was thinking "several" as in "two", maybe i should "a couple" instead. language problems i guess

as in he's played defense for a couple of years before this year

going by the write up on him from www.newyorkrangers.com, it sounds like he played the 2002-2003 year on defense as his first year (37 points in 37 games) and then of course played the 2003-2004 as a defenseman also (41 points in 37 games)

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
BuppY said:

Ryan Suter
Dion Phanuef
Cam Barker
Brent Seabrook
Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros