Top 20 non-NHL players all-time

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Very good list for the most part, but why Nedomansky so far ahead of Martinec? It seems most Czech fans consider Martinec better, though I think it's awfully close.

I would love to hear a healthy debate between Nedomansky and Martinec, two very underrated goalscorer. I think Nedomansky longevity and the facts that he was able to put solid numbers in the NHL past his prime gives him the edge. He seems to be the kind of players who had a better overall package than Martinec, although I'm far from an expert on Martinec's play. I think the standing is pretty close from 8-to-18.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I would love to hear a healthy debate between Nedomansky and Martinec, two very underrated goalscorer. I think Nedomansky longevity and the facts that he was able to put solid numbers in the NHL past his prime gives him the edge. He seems to be the kind of players who had a better overall package than Martinec, although I'm far from an expert on Martinec's play. I think the standing is pretty close from 8-to-18.

I've looked everywhere and have been unable to find evidence of Nedomansky having any kind of an "overall package" - he was a good scorer, a good finesse player, big and strong... that's all I can find. Not tough, not physical, not a leader, not defensive.

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
Unless I'm losing my mind, I believe Nedomansky played in the NHL for several years.

Oh wait, i should have really read every post...:laugh:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
In Finland, Nedomansky seems to be somewhat more legendary player than Martinec, for whatever reason. Maybe we like goal-scorers more (the one area where Nedo definitely has an edge IMO) or maybe it is Nedomansky's much more impressive physical appearence; about 6'2 to Martinec's 5'9. Nedomansky's GPG numbers are more impressive - both in the Czechoslovak league and internationally - but if all the assists were available (are they?), it (PPGA) would be a lot closer, I think.
I'm not sure how much credit we should give to Nedomansky for his North American career. He had a good longevity but didn't seem to have any true super seasons, not even in the WHA (or 1975-76 maybe?). Martinec took a more 'easy way out' and spent the twilight of his career in Germany.

I have seen Martinec play much more, so I can only really talk about his "package" (no pun intented!). I feel safe to say that he wasn't one-dimensional at all: above average defensively, dangerous forechecker, not maybe physical à la Mikhailov, but wasn't bothered by physical play either (many good performances against top Canadian teams).

By the way, an interesting thing is that Nedomansky, like Jiri Holik, was basically a non-scorer against the Soviets until 1968, but after that he was very effective. Can't help wondering about the impact of the 1968 invasion had especially on the CSSR players; most notably in the 1969 WC, but later on too. Czechoslovakia had skill, but I think it's safe to say their success versus USSR was even more about the will.

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I think I might have been underrating Vasiliev; I'd probably put him between Petrov and Martinec now. I'm not sure if he was necessarily better defensively than Fetisov, but it's close... and nobody (in Europe) could deliver such hurtful hits as him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad