Top 20 Edmonton Oilers prospects usher in a new era

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
connor_mcdavid_edmonton_032016.jpg
Photo: It has been a lost decade for the Edmonton Oilers and their fans, but Connor McDavid has started writing a new history (courtesy of Curtis Comeau/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The Edmonton Oilers spring Top 20 list sees some major changes from the fall list, mostly due to the graduation of players like Brandon Davidson, Leon Draisaitl and Iiro Pakarinen. Darnell Nurse sits on the cusp of prospect status with regards to number of games played, but is the second name on the list for the time being. Despite his collarbone injury in November, Connor McDavid hasn’t missed a beat in his return and is a prospect in name only.… read more

The post Top 20 Edmonton Oilers prospects usher in a new era appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I was actually happily surprised at the quality of the list, till i got to Adam Clendening at 7. :help:

Besides that I'd have Jones quite a bit higher, but minus Clendening this isn't too bad.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was actually happily surprised at the quality of the list, till i got to Adam Clendening at 7. :help:

Besides that I'd have Jones quite a bit higher, but minus Clendening this isn't too bad.

Mcdavid and Nurse should not be on the list

Overall we do not have that much depth on the farm as we should and having Clendening on the list just shows that

I predict Bear and Jones will be the two prospects that break a lot of hearts around here

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The 6.5C's are strong with this team. :laugh:

Based on what Paigin showed overseas I could have pretty easily given him a 7.5 D.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Suprised Paigin is that low. Youd think after the incredible season he had hed but up around 6th.

For me:

Brossoit
Reinhart
Bear
Jones
Paigin
Slepy
Khaira
Yakimov
Musil
Simpson
Laleggia
Chase

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I know it's hindsight, but man I wish the Reinhart trade never happened. Not because I think Reinhart is a bust, but because I feel we don't need him. It almost seems like Chiarelli jumped the gun and thought the defense in our system was more of an issue than it actually was. If you take McDavid and Nurse off the list (which they should be) this is easily the worst prospect pool in the league. We basically gave up 16th and 33rd overall picks that we couldn't afford to give up in the first place, and now we have an abundance of LH defenseman pushing Reinhart back.

Chiarelli said he expected Reinhart to be a full time NHL'er this year.. I don't even see him as a full time NHL'er next year.

EDIT - In fact, if our defense stays relatively healthy next year I doubt he'll see more than 5 games.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The 6.5C's are strong with this team. :laugh:

Based on what Paigin showed overseas I could have pretty easily given him a 7.5 D.

Easily. That season is pretty unheard of.

Consider the fact that Pavel Buchnevich is one of top drafted prospects in KHL and Paigin had a higher PPG. (28 in 40 for PB, 27 in 37 for Paigin)

Now that is purely stat statching. But Paigin has 3rd highest NHLe for the entire 2015 draft class. Its the equivalant of a CHL guy putting up 70 points in 50 games. Which is better than what Provorov is doing. Cant put him as a elite prospect on numbers alone, but those numbers have to raise so eyebrows in a great way

Plus hes getting some national team attention.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I know it's hindsight, but man I wish the Reinhart trade never happened. Not because I think Reinhart is a bust, but because I feel we don't need him. It almost seems like Chiarelli jumped the gun and thought the defense in our system was more of an issue than it actually was. If you take McDavid and Nurse off the list (which they should be) this is easily the worst prospect pool in the league. We basically gave up 16th and 33rd overall picks that we couldn't afford to give up in the first place, and now we have an abundance of LH defenseman pushing Reinhart back.

Chiarelli said he expected Reinhart to be a full time NHL'er this year.. I don't even see him as a full time NHL'er next year.

EDIT - In fact, if our defense stays relatively healthy next year I doubt he'll see more than 5 games.

To me Davidson is everything Chiarelli hoped for Reinhart this year and more. In the end we got our guy, but it was the wrong one and we overpaid picks. Sad luck

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Our prospects suck for the most part. We have a fairly long list of Dmen so there is a better chance for one or two of these guys to turn into something. Forwards are awful.

It's a pretty big jump from junior or college to the pros so the pretenders get weeded out at the AHL level pretty quickly.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Exactly, this was the main complaint about the deal for some. We gave up assets for a left handed Dman that we might still have to be able to package to get the kind of guy we want. Knowing how much the isles seem to lover Barzal if we had his rights right now our efforts to get Hamonic would be much better off.

In any case that's all over now, Reinhart just needs to make some kind of decent step forward next year and be on the big team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Our prospects suck for the most part. We have a fairly long list of Dmen so there is a better chance for one or two of these guys to turn into something. Forwards are awful.

It's a pretty big jump from junior or college to the pros so the pretenders get weeded out at the AHL level pretty quickly.

All of our forward save for MAYBE Slepyshev are bottom 6 prospects. We undoubtely have worst forward prospects in the NHL. Khaira has some limited NHL upside, so does Yakimov. But after that, Chase and Platzer are loooong shots.

This draft we should pick 5 forwards

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Moroz and Musil on this list at 20 and 19 respectively put a sour taste in my mouth immediately.

I look at Musil, Moroz, Hamilton, Roy, and Pitlick, all 2nd round picks and all looking like busts, and grit my teeth. :laugh:

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Pfft, I was calling Bear one of our better prospects all summer in the pre-season voting. Took everyone long enough to realize.

I mean, my reasoning was because I liked his name but hey if the method works. ;)

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Yes in hindsight a Kyle Connor and another prospect would have been a nice add but I look at it as we traded Perron for Reinhart essentially, I disagree I think he's a regular on our lineup towards the end of the season next year, he still needs some seasoning but I have seen improvement in his game and he's shown flashes of being a very solid defenseman, mclellan has told him consistency is his biggest issue right now and I agree, if he can show up every night and play a solid game we have a defenseman we desperately need

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I am a Bako fan and obviously new to the real hockey. Are there any Junior kids who will make the jump to the AHL next season??? By the way Musil is VERY good. Right now he and Simpson are our ONLY defense. We have tow ECHL goal tenders who suck and for forwards Slepy, yak2 and JJ are very solid.

The real problem with Bako is complete inconsistency. As a team we cannot play a full 60 minutes. 40 may be the average and at this level that is unacceptable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I am a Bako fan and obviously new to the real hockey. Are there any Junior kids who will make the jump to the AHL next season??? By the way Musil is VERY good. Right now he and Simpson are our ONLY defense. We have tow ECHL goal tenders who suck and for forwards Slepy, yak2 and JJ are very solid.

The real problem with Bako is complete inconsistency. As a team we cannot play a full 60 minutes. 40 may be the average and at this level that is unacceptable.

There's pretty much no one coming for Bako next season. The Oilers had zero forward prospects in junior hockey this season.

I would imagine that two of Reinhart/Nurse/Oesterle will be back to start off next year and should see a few more guys like Winquist brought in on AHL deals, plus I'd imagine the Oilers should be pretty active in chasing overage junior and college players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad