#4 - Ian Mitchell (55.8%)
#5 - Gustav Forsling (44.1%)
#6 - Nicolas Beaudin (45.6%)
#7 - Jake Wise (92.3%)
#8 - Chad Krys (28.3%)

543015338.0.jpg

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
It is interesting that neither Kahun nor Edjsell --- or Kampf are yet on this list --- yet these three are more likely to be on the Hawks this season than anyone on the list (perhaps Jokiharju is equally, or nearly equally likely).

perhaps some do not view guys like Kampf and Edjsell to be "prospects ' anymore b/c they have played on the Hawks already (not Edjsell so much - but certainly Kampf). Or, perhaps people are thinking in terms of ultimate cieling projected into the future rather than who is most likely to contribute earliest.

So, my question, why have you personally left Kampf, Edjsell, and Kahun outside of the top 8 in your list. I would think we will see these three sooner than almost anyone on the list (again, with the possible exception of Jokiharju).

Is the thought that these guys are more developed and likely to see action earlier than those on your list --- but are not projected by you to be that good (outside the top 8)?

To me all three should be slotted in some order right after Mitchell on this list (that is, #5-7). One alternate notion though for me is to have Wise at #5 and these three at #6-8.

The list as constructed here is, after Mitchell --- starting with Forsling --- containing guys who are more unknown than anything else --- though Wise looks quite promising.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It is interesting that neither Kahun nor Edjsell --- or Kampf are yet on this list --- yet these three are more likely to be on the Hawks this season than anyone on the list (perhaps Jokiharju is equally, or nearly equally likely).

perhaps some do not view guys like Kampf and Edjsell to be "prospects ' anymore b/c they have played on the Hawks already (not Edjsell so much - but certainly Kampf). Or, perhaps people are thinking in terms of ultimate cieling projected into the future rather than who is most likely to contribute earliest.

So, my question, why have you personally left Kampf, Edjsell, and Kahun outside of the top 8 in your list. I would think we will see these three sooner than almost anyone on the list (again, with the possible exception of Jokiharju).

Is the thought that these guys are more developed and likely to see action earlier than those on your list --- but are not projected by you to be that good (outside the top 8)?

To me all three should be slotted in some order right after Mitchell on this list (that is, #5-7). One alternate notion though for me is to have Wise at #5 and these three at #6-8.

The list as constructed here is, after Mitchell --- starting with Forsling --- containing guys who are more unknown than anything else --- though Wise looks quite promising.
Kampf isn't Calder eligible so he doesn't count imo. As for Ejdsell and Kahun not being voted in yet, I think a lot of us put more value in ceiling/potential upside. Ejdsell's ceiling is a high end third liner. Kahun is such an unknown for all of us. I've seen him and he's immensely talented (especially his shootout skill) but it's hard to know how that's going to translate to the NHL. I think best case scenario, he does what Panik did in 2016/17 (though more assists, less goals since he's a playmaker).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I would actually say Kahun is the least likely known prospect we have, so many unknowns and variables with him that putting him higher is setting ourselves up for failure. We all hope he comes out and earns a spot, but I can't vote on a player I know next to nothing about who hasn't been on the prospect scene the past few years.

Edjsell is a player we have seen, but has limitations and flaws as well. Some see his skating as ultimately holding him back, I think he fits somewhere in the next 3 picks, and that is justifiably so for what he showed at the AHL level...but as we have seen time and time again, what one can do at the AHL level does not equal NHL success.

Kampf is a player I do not consider a prospect and if so is a pure 4th line player for me. I like him, but still have to look at potential and upside and some just have more of it right now.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm sticking with Barratt here but you can't go wrong with Soderlund, Kayumov, or Carlsson. Even Kahun could be a good pick. Hard to tell.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Kampf isn't Calder eligible so he doesn't count imo. As for Ejdsell and Kahun not being voted in yet, I think a lot of us put more value in ceiling/potential upside. Ejdsell's ceiling is a high end third liner. Kahun is such an unknown for all of us. I've seen him and he's immensely talented (especially his shootout skill) but it's hard to know how that's going to translate to the NHL. I think best case scenario, he does what Panik did in 2016/17 (though more assists, less goals since he's a playmaker).

makes sense. thanks for the answer

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I would actually say Kahun is the least likely known prospect we have, so many unknowns and variables with him that putting him higher is setting ourselves up for failure. We all hope he comes out and earns a spot, but I can't vote on a player I know next to nothing about who hasn't been on the prospect scene the past few years.

Edjsell is a player we have seen, but has limitations and flaws as well. Some see his skating as ultimately holding him back, I think he fits somewhere in the next 3 picks, and that is justifiably so for what he showed at the AHL level...but as we have seen time and time again, what one can do at the AHL level does not equal NHL success.

Kampf is a player I do not consider a prospect and if so is a pure 4th line player for me. I like him, but still have to look at potential and upside and some just have more of it right now.

This too makes sense. Thanks. To me, Edjsell is interesting --- I hope his skating does not so limit him that he cannot contribute.

Reactions: AmericanDream

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Its tough to gauge at this point. I went with Kahun which is a shot in the dark. Soderlund and kayumov are have good potentials (middle/bottom six) but Kahun, even though he hasn't played a game yet, seems like he has abilities for a little more. The problem with Kahun is whether his abilities fit a bottom six role.

Does he have the skill in the top six?

I see him like I do Versteeg, a skilled guy who can go up and down the line-up. (Again this is going from what others have said about him)

Ejdell, Soderlund and kayumov remind me of a hayden type. (role to team not skill) they will fill out our bottom six and will be good offensive depth.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I look at upside or ceiling more than anything when doing these. I seee Kampf as a 4th line C, max, Edjsell as a 3rd line C max, and I know little to nothing about Kahun and how he will fit in the NHL.
For me, Kayumov has potential to be a top 6 player if his chips fall right (based off of what I have read) so that's why I am choosing him over the other 3.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
soderlund again, kids hockey IQ is off the charts good from what I see and read, has great skills to boot, then Kayumov

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

While everyone is free to rank on their own terms, most rank these players for their "value", ostensibly their value to the organization/league. Its tempting to kind of think of this as a bit of a math equation: potential * likelihood of reaching it, but the reality is that players with higher potentials are much more valuable than those who are highly likely to be role players. The reasoning basically is that its extremely difficult to acquire a first line/pairing talent through any means besides the draft, whereas you can acquire a perfectly competent role player for peanuts. Players like Kampf are eminently replaceable--hell, the Hawks pretty much *did* replace him this very offseason by signing Kahun.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
My guy diddnt get picked last round and I’m having a harder time deciding this time around. 3-4 guys that I’d have no problem selecting here.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I see Forsling more suspect than prospect ...proved he wasn't ready and may never be ....the usual ....weakling to clear as big forwards crash our net ..a big problem for smaller PMD types and you can say that about a lot of those we have as "prospects"..they are suspects till they prove they can handle this issue ...they can mitigate this defensive issue with providing superior offense..but where did Forsling show he was any kind of difference-maker offensively?So I do not buy his high ceiling and ranking ..gotta either prove a stud defensively or offensively ..so far he is not any better than several prospects we have either way ...on attack or defending. ..JUST another guy among many other guys until proven otherwise .Does he take some big leap forward this season to justify the early hype of 2 seasons ago? Who can say?BUT it probably is more of what you see is what you get and this is his plateau already .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad