• David Kampf

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Went with Mitchell, but realize that there is a debate to be had for multiple prospects here.

Forsling was my #1 prospect last year and he's fallen a bit for me. Think he can be a good middle pair/lower first pair guy (think Hammer without the shot blocking), but the offense he showed in the SHL and in international competitions hasn't really made an appearance when he was with the Hawks or when he was in Rockford.

Sikura is obviously nothing to scuff at, what with his 50pts NHLe, but I just wonder if he can be more than a 50pt guy. If he can be a 70pt player sometime in the next few seasons, then not having him in my top 3 will be a mistake.

Beaudin is obviously a huge wild card. A few teams were supposedly high on him, us (obviously) and Montreal are two, but most probably felt he was a reach so I'm reluctant to have him so far up. Still, Joki was a bit of a reach last year (maybe not as much as Beaudin was) and he's killed it in his D+1 year.

Wise has been impressing in camp, and his PPG last year wasn't far off from someone like Farabee (who played on the same team, but as a winger and on a better line). AD felt he could become another Schmaltz for us, and watching clips of him, I kinda see it a bit. The fact that he was a 3rd rounder a month ago is what'll probably keep him out of my top 5, but I'm still excited to see what he becomes.

HJ was not a reach at all.

Reactions: Blue Liner

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't know if they want 2 rookie D on the team.
Young guys both yeah but Q already trusted Forsling in a D heavy role last year. Hes not a rookie type Q would want to shelter. Though its funny Forsling has played more nhl games than Gustaffsson. I think beating him is all that matters for Forsling. Joki can play that sheltered style like Franson/Oesterle/Rundblad with Keith in the ozone a lot.

Based on this sites old prospect ranking style I think Forsling still counts as a prospect but he cant win a Calder as hes no rookie.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Overall, do the Hawks have a good farm system / prospects in the pipeline right now?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
HJ was not a reach at all.
I remember seeing a lot of mock drafts that had him out of the first round, with quite a few having him around the 40 mark. Not a huge difference, but he wasn't the consensus pick for where we were choosing.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Overall, do the Hawks have a good farm system / prospects in the pipeline right now?
Yes and no. If most of our good defensive prospects hit, then we'll have one of the best defensive groups.

But there is no elite young forwards (current players or prospects) outside of maybe DeBrincat and Schmaltz here. I think they both have 70pt potential, but can either be a PPG player for most of their careers? Can either of them be our Matthews, Laine, or Barzal?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I really liked what I saw from Sikura in his short stint last season. Good vision and skill set.

Why is Chad Krys so low on everyone's lists?
I thought he had a great year at BU.

Reactions: AmericanDream

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I really liked what I saw from Sikura in his short stint last season. Good vision and skill set.

He was really good for BU but I think is speaks more to how good our pipeline of D prospects more so than his ability and potential. The Hawks have a 6-7 legit top 4D potential guys with 3-4 that could be top 2.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I remember seeing a lot of mock drafts that had him out of the first round, with quite a few having him around the 40 mark. Not a huge difference, but he wasn't the consensus pick for where we were choosing.
Only 1 draft ranking has him beyond 35 and some ranked him higher in the 20s.

Our what? Why is your basis 1st and 2nd overall picks? That's not the range of judgments. Yeah and even Barzal was ranked top 10 by many and why people mocked Boston passing him up with their 3 picks.

The forward pool is think but Altybarmakyan is probably gonna drop here lower than he should. It's hard to get icetime in the khl under 20 but at the u20s he and Kayumov both shined.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am going with Forsling

I know a lot around here are now down on him after his setbacks last year but I still think he has highest upside of anyone remaining on list

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Only 1 draft ranking has him beyond 35 and some ranked him higher in the 20s.

Our what? Why is your basis 1st and 2nd overall picks? That's not the range of judgments. Yeah and even Barzal was ranked top 10 by many and why people mocked Boston passing him up with their 3 picks.

The forward pool is think but Altybarmakyan is probably gonna drop here lower than he should. It's hard to get icetime in the khl under 20 but at the u20s he and Kayumov both shined.
I remember seeing a bunch of mocks where Jokiharju was between 30-45. He wasn't near as big of a reach a shot Beaudin though.

Not sure I understand the rest of your comment.

Edit: oh, you're trying to reference my other comment.

Yeah, I listed top players from previous drafts, that's usually what it takes to get an elite young forward. We likely don't have any elite forwards who can play at that level, and when comparing other organizations, that's a weak point for us.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How exactly did Q run the kids confidence into gutter?

Always amusing

Q doesn't play a kid = Q is ruining him and doesn't know how to handle youth
Q does play kid = Q is ruining him

I don't think he ran it into the gutter, but I do believe he misused/overused him a bit last season, which seemed to affect his confidence later on in the year, before he was sent down. But I highly doubt it carries into this year. He played in the Hogs playoff run, no? How did he look? @CourtneyDagger50 Any insight?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Krys is going to really surprise many, and I think silence some of the criticisms he received 2 years ago...I expect a big year from him, ppg type year as a junior.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Sikura has the higher floor than Mitchell, but Mitchell has a way higher ceiling in my opinion. Went with Sikura, as I've seen many decent defensemen prospects start out looking great and end up looking bad. But I'd love to be proven wrong

Reactions: Rolo

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just realized Jake Ryczek isn't on this list. Probably the most forgotten about prospect in the system.
agreed. he is an interesting player, but I have yet to fully understand the Q as so many of these kids who go there from the US tear it up only to become very little at the NHL level...I really have never gotten a grasp of that league.

but as Fiddy would say, another smurf to keep an eye on!

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I'd add From to the list even though I'll probably be the only one that votes for him haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad