Top 15 mock draft

spfan

May 4, 2009
1. NYR - LW Alexis Lafreniere

Obvious pick.

2. LA - C Quinton Byfield

They're not in that huge of a need of a center with Kopitar having many years left and Vilardi looks to be a top center still. As well as a few other solid prospects, but they gotta go with the 2nd best player and that's Byfield. Stutzle is close, but Byfield's size and skill is too much to pass on.

3. Ottawa - C Tim Stutzle

They have some decent center prospects, but not sure if they're going to pan out as 1c's. So Stutzle would be a huge piece for their future.

4. Detroit - D Jamie Drysdale

This is where the draft really opens up and there's quite a few ways they could go. They did reach for Seider last year, but their defense is still in rough shape. So adding a high end d-man would be huge for the team. They're more set with their forwards.

5. Ottawa - RW Lucas Raymond

Ottawa are back on the clock and there's a couple of choices, but after adding a top end center, they go with arguably the best player and a top end winger. Raymond's draft stock did drop a little from the start of the year or maybe more so others were just raising theirs, but Raymond still has all the tools to be an elite 1st line winger.

6. Anaheim - LW Cole Perfetti

They're not hurting too bad in any position, but they go with arguably the BPA here. I've seen some say he'd be a center, but I think he definitely is better off at wing. Ducks just grabbed Zegras last year, so hopefully he can be their top center and he and Perfetti would be big parts of their future. Perfetti has the offensive skills, but only thing really lacking is his skating, considering his smaller size.

7. NJ - RW Alexander Holtz

They have 2 top end centers and they just traded away Hall, so they could really use some wingers for their young centers. And a real shoot first winger as well. I think their defense isn't in terrible shape and I would see Sanderson as a reach here.

8. Buffalo - C Marco Rossi

They've really turned their defense around and they're set there. They've built a good group of prospects and young players already on their team. So there isn't a huge need at any position really. Mittelstadt hasn't turned out great so far, who was supposed to be their 2C. They just picked Cozens though and he looks good, but maybe he'd be better as a RW. Then you can have Rossi, a more pass first player to play alongside Cozens on that 2nd line in the future and Eichel would have more support.

9. Minnesota - C Anton Lundell

This works out well for them, as they're pretty desperate for a top end Center. And 1 Finnish Center can learn from another(Koivu).

10. Winnipeg - D Jake Sanderson

This works out well for them as well. They have an abundance of forwards, but with Myers leaving, Trouba being traded and Byfuglien's Jets days seem to be over as well, this left their defense pretty depleted.

11. Nashville - RW Jack Quinn

They don't have any glaring needs, but they've always kind of lacked real top end offensive talent. They've gotten more as of late with the likes of Johansen, Duchene, Forsberg and Arvidsson, so adding 1 of the best goal scorers should help even more.

12. Florida - C Dylan Holloway

They are in more need of defense, but I think it'd be a bit of a reach for one at this spot. With trading away Trocheck, it left a bit of a hole at Center. They've some solid prosects there, but 1 more couldn't hurt.

13. Carolina - G Yaroslav Askarov

Another really good fit here. Carolina has a strong D-core and a solid group of forwards. They've had success even without a top end goalie, but this could really push them over the edge.

14. Edmonton Oilers - RW Seth Jarvis

They fell pretty short in the qualifiers/playoffs and it shows that Edmonton still doesn't have the depth. They've built a pretty solid d-core with picks over the years. They do have Yamamoto who's done well, but not a lot of help besides him after McDavid and Draisaitl. Jarvis would be good depth and someone that could play with any of those Centers too.

15. Pittsburgh Penguins - RW Dawson Mercer

Time is starting to run out and it's really a battle of the salary cap, but they can grab a solid winger here, who could inject new youth in the team and could eventually be a winger for Crosby or Malkin as well.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
for the Devils I think they have a chance at
Drysdale
Sanderson
Rossi
Holtz

I think Drysdale could drop to 7th simply because Detroit is such a mystery that could go so many different directions and the Ducks haven't picked a player smaller then 6 feet in the first round since 2011 with Kyle Palmieri and before that its some guy in the 90s. If they continue with that rule they won't choose perfetti or Drysdale even though he's 5'11. Their pick would be Holtz or Sanderson.

Id be fine with any of those four picked though.

Lundell and Holoway are so close that I can see either being taken at Minnesota's spot

Askarov is such a wild card but I could see both Nashville and Carolina taking a look at him

I hope you extend your draft to the 20th pick because the Devils are projected to have the 18th and 20th picks and I would like to see who you think would be best.

Reactions: zman77

spfan

May 4, 2009
for the Devils I think they have a chance at
Drysdale
Sanderson
Rossi
Holtz

I think Drysdale could drop to 7th simply because Detroit is such a mystery that could go so many different directions and the Ducks haven't picked a player smaller then 6 feet in the first round since 2011 with Kyle Palmieri and before that its some guy in the 90s. If they continue with that rule they won't choose perfetti or Drysdale even though he's 5'11. Their pick would be Holtz or Sanderson.

Id be fine with any of those four picked though.

Lundell and Holoway are so close that I can see either being taken at Minnesota's spot

Askarov is such a wild card but I could see both Nashville and Carolina taking a look at him

I hope you extend your draft to the 20th pick because the Devils are projected to have the 18th and 20th picks and I would like to see who you think would be best.

I know a lot have Sanderson pegged to NJ, but I just don't see that high enough of upside to go quite that high. NJ's not desperate for d-men either.

Yeah, Detroit could go a few ways.

Anaheim, they could go a few ways as well, but even though Zegras was 6'0", he's not seen as a big player at all. So I think Perfetti being 5'10" 180lbs isn't much different.

We can see trends of certain teams, but change happens over time too. And can sometimes just be circumstantial or just a coincidence.

I think Lundell and Holloway have a pretty big gap between them. I'd say after the top 9, maybe 10 or 11, then there's a drop in talent.

Yeah, I was considering Nashville for Askarov too, but they're also a bit more in win now mode than Carolina. Saros is also pretty solid. I'm not really big on taking goalies early cause it's such a gamble, but in Carolina's case, there's not much of a need elsewhere and the goalie situation is so meh, that they can afford to take a swing.

I won't be doing another until all the picks are determined. As you never know where the 2 teams finish that NJ owns the picks from, so it's pretty up in the air. As it stands now, for 18th and 20th....Possibly even Askarov if he lasted until then, which is reasonably possible. They'd probably be looking at wingers like Gunler or Amirov, then 1 d-man in Schneider or Guhle. And possibly Mercer or Jarvis if they lasted that long.

Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad