Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by x-bob, Nov 10, 2005.
Who are they?
Be more specific. What teams? What ages? What experience levels?
Need more detail to answer properly, and even then it is a matter of opinion.
You WILL GET Phaneuf-worshipping/bashing in this thread in high amounts...
Top 15 defencemen who were considered prospects even before the season started.
OK, I will have to give this some thought then...
3. Not even close too the top 2.
First of all, Joni isn't a prospect. But if he were, he'd be 1 by a large margin at this time.
Sadly Kronwall is still a prospect so he's up there somewhere. Top 5 maybe. Damn those fluke injuries.
in no particular order:
phaneuf, barker, coburn, suter, seabrook, tyutin, whitney, kronwall...and others
ballard may not have been there, but damn he looks good now. ditto for andrew alberts from boston.
According to HF:
Any guesses on 13-15? That's as far as one can pull off their Top 50 list. I'd throw Matt Greene in there (7.0B - same as Belle) for the Oilers as potentially being in 13-15.
Also Ryan Whitney (don't know how he wasn't in there).
Coburn is at least 5 places too high.
Maybe? That's a judgement call.. I didn't make that list, I just extracted the D-men from the hockeys future top 50 prospects list and that's what I got. I'm not sure about Babchuk either.. Haven't heard much about him.
1) Dion Phaneuf
2) Cam Barker
3) Ryan Suter
4) Jack Johnson
5) Niklas Kronwall
6) Fedor Tyutin
7) Braydon Coburn
8) Brent Seabrook
9) Andrej Meszaros
10) Anton Babchuk
11) Shawn Belle
12) Shea Weber
13) Ryan Whitney
14) Luc Bourdon
15) Carlo Coliaccavo
switch out coliaccavo with Eminger and I think it's a solid list
i think the only guy ahead of jack johnson is dion phaneuf, those 2 are easily the top spots. then barker or suter, the top four should be set in stone.
Where's Erikanka BerubÃ© ? I think is way better than guys like Babchuk or Weber, maybe top 5.
if not for Kronwalls injury i'd slate him close to Pitkanen type ability. he's that good. now.... i really dont know 2 years in a row now he's suffered 2 long/hard injuries.
I don't give too much credit to HF when it comes to rankings...
Dion is the undisputed number one. Coburn, Belle, Kronwall, and Tyutin do not belong/should be lower on that list, IMO. Belle is arguably not even the best in Dallas. There is a huge dropoff after the first three.
2. Johnson- Very underrated
3. Suter- Doesn't have that explosive potential, but is a VERY safe prospect
4. Barker- Vastly overratted...gets this position based on prior achievements
5. Meszaros-A stud!
6. Kronwall- Is injury-prone, despite all his positives.
7. Tyutin- Based on the hype. He has so much talent; why does he not use it? He isn't a punisher and isn't a dazzling offensive star. Still, hes pretty good.
8. Ryan Whitney-Stellar in the AHL. Amazing offensively. Will outshine all Defensemen on this list offensively.
9. Babchuk- He still is not very solid defensively...screams out Jeff Jillson
10.Coburn-Overrated; could be the next Carlo Colc.
11.Aj Thelen- Sick defenseman. An absolute stud.
12.Weber-Meh. not much to say. Very good all-around, but he can't touch others potential-wise IMO.
13. Ladislav Smid- I have never seen play in the Czech league, but he has gotten very good reviews.
14. Grebeshkov-What a player! Tremendous work ethic. I think he will have a home in the NHL. He hits well for his size, and can quarterback a powerplay.
15.Bourdon-Has everyone forgotten about this stud?
16. Brian Lee-not sold on him, but has great potential. And, hes in Ottawa's system.
17. Carle-homer pick, but one of the best defenseman in college hockey should get something.
18. Seabrook-Underrated defenseman doing well on a bad team
20. Ehrhoff-Has potential, but has not done a thing to live up to it. On potential alone, he's top 15.
very impressed with meszaros. i hear thelen isnt playing that great though, may not even make the uswjc team for the 2nd year in a row, i hope im wrong though. being in philly i dont see any whl games.
Can't help but notice a stong correlation between praise and current/former college hockey players.
Seabrook should certainly be higher on this list, especially after his start this season. Babchuk s/b lower.
I'd easily rate Smid over Thelen, but otherwise, very solid list.
He was like 51 or 52 on the just missed list, IIRC.
My criteria is Calder-eligible at the start of the season.
3. R. Suter
10. R. Whitney
13. M. Staal
15. M. Stuart
HM: Colaiacovo, Smid, S. Belle, M. Green and B. Lee
*Babchuk. Always been overrated. Will be a No. 3, hard-shooting defenceman at best. Those Aaron Ward downside comments become more and more realistic each day.
*Thelen. Had the fantastic freshman year. Hasn't done much since. Failed to score a goal in his sophomore year. Hasn't set world on fire offensively in PA, either.
I'll take Smid, Grebeshkov, Bourdon and Whitney over Belle
Separate names with a comma.