Player Discussion Top 15 Canucks

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
With the trade deadline coming up there’s a lot of speculation on who’s going and who’s staying, we have a lot of decent players that are hard to differentiate on who’s better, how would you rank the top 15 Canucks by their play this season.

1. Demko
  2. Miller
  3. Hughes
  4. Garland
  5. Pettersson
  6. Horvat
  7. Boeser
  8. OEL
  9. Pearson
  10. Myers
  11. Podkolzin
  12. Hoglander
  13. Motte
  14. Schenn
  15. Poolman
  16. Hamonic
  17. Highmore
  18. Lammikko
  19. Dickenson
  20. Burroughs
  21. Hunt
  22. Rathbone
  23. Halak
  24. Chaisson
  25. Dries
  26. Dowling
  27. Brisebois
  28. Juulsen
  29. Bowey
  30. Bailey

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Poll it OP! One position a day!

1 Demko
2 Hughes
3 Miller
4 Pettersson
5 Garland
6 Myers
7 Brock Boeser
8 Pearson
9 Horvat
10 OEL
11 Podkolzin
12 Lammikko
13 Schenn
14 Motte
15 Hoglander
16 HighMore
17 Burroughs
18 Hamonic
19 Dickinson
20 Hunt
21 PoolMan
22 Halak
23 Chaisson
24 Juulsen

Thats as far as I could go

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Poll it OP! One position a day!

1 Demko
2 Hughes
3 Miller
4 Pettersson
5 Garland
6 Myers
7 Brock Boeser
8 Pearson
9 Horvat
10 OEL
11 Podkolzin
12 Lammikko
13 Schenn
14 Motte
15 Hoglander
16 HighMore

Lol don’t know how to, not tech savvy. You should do it if you’d like to, would be fun!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is purely on play - not factoring in expectations, contracts or anything else. Just if an alien flew down and watched our team and knew nothing other than what they have watched:

Tier 1
1. Demko
2. Miller
3. Hughes

Tier 2
4. Horvat
5. Pettersson
6. Garland
7. Myers
8. OEL
9. Motte

Tier 3
10. Schenn
11. Boeser
12. Pearson
13. Lammikko
14. Podkolzin
15. Burroughs

Last edited:

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
01.) Hughes
02.) Demko
03.) Miller
04.) Garland
05.) OEL
06.) Horvat
07.) Pettersson
08.) Myers
09.) Pearson
10.) Boeser
11.) Motte
12.) Highmore
13.) Podkolzin
14.) Schenn
15.) Hoglander

- Both Hughes and Demko have been unreal and you could easily swap them and I wouldn't argue.
- After Miller there is a massive drop.
- It's taking the entire season into consideration, which is why players like Pettersson are low despite playing really well lately.
- If it was relative to role, players like Motte, Schenn, Highmore, etc would be higher and players like Horvat and Boeser would be lower.
- Myers has had plenty of chaos giraffe moments, but his season overall has been surprisingly good.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Hughes
Demko
Miller

Garland
Pettersson
OEL

Horvat
Boeser
Myers
Motte
Podz
Pearson

Schenn
Hoglander
Highmore

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
1. Demko

2. Hughes
3. Miller

4. OEL
5. Motte
6. Garland
7. Pettersson
8. Myers
9. Horvat
10. Hoglander
11. Boeser
12. Podkolzin

13. Highmore
14. Burroughs
15. Lammikko

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm going to rank guys based on their play relative to my own expectations.

Way above expectations: Demko, Hughes, Miller
All having far and away their best seasons of their careers.

Noticeably above expectations: Motte, Schenn
Schenn didn't look as good for TB, but he has looked like a really good bottom pair level guy here. Motte, obviously, best season of his career. Has really grown past the pure speed/forecheck guy he was before - actual player you can be ok with further up the lineup now.

Slightly above expectations: Myers, Lammikko, Highmore, Pearson, Burroughs
Some level of credit to Myers for holding his head above water at ES after being f***ing terrible there the previous two years. I thought he would be really bad with OEL - but it has done ok defensively. Still absolutely nothing offensively and is a problem contract.
Lammikko has been good recently. Maybe like 25% better than what I expected if he can finish the season in the low 20's pace over 82 games type mark. Highmore seems to be following that Motte path, although a few years behind and not a great PKer yet. Pearson looked like he was on a linear path downwards but has performed at the level of his contract and on pace for roughly 40 points. Was worried we were going to see him regress to like the 25 point mark this year. Burroughs, pretty fun guy to root for.

In line with rough expectations: OEL, Podkolzin, Horvat, Chiasson, Poolman, Garland
OEL - I thought he would be better defensively than he showed in AZ, and I knew for certain his offense was going to dry up as well but just not to this degree. Kind of expected an average middle pair defenseman level performance and that's what we've seen.
Podz - I usually expect nothing more than average 3rd line type production from fourth liners and that's what he's given us.
Horvat - Had ups and downs this season. People forget early in the year he was on the fringes of discussions with the olympic team. Bad as hell recently, but overall season has kind of gone the way you would reasonably expect - especially considering the miscast role he plays in.
Chiasson - just expected nothing, he has, in fact, given nothing.
Poolman - same as chiasson
Garland - has produced basically exactly what you'd expect given his inconsistent linemates and limited PP time.

Below expected: Hoglander, Hunt
Hoglander - fallen off under BB, but can't be too harsh on a guy going through a sophomore slump and getting a coaching change in the hardest season for a player
Hunt - couldn't remember shit about this player so just went off what Drance sold us on his podcasts and am disappointed because he's clearly ass

Far below expected: Pettersson, Dickinson
Pettersson - again, better recently. but the bar needs to be high. should be a guy with 20-30 more points than what he has. Only reason he's not in the next tier down is because I have some leeway for the first 15-20 games because he showed up late due to the contract situation.
Dickinson - I expected like some sort of average 3rd liner but this guy is ASS man HOLY

Brandon Prust tier: Halak, Boeser, Hamonic
Halak - Stop a beach ball
Boeser - Sloth, was good last year but literally awful this year
Hamonic - Was expecting an ok #5 D but we've gotten a dude who has spent half the season defending the vaccine rather than anything on the ice

Reactions: bh53 and kanucks25

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm going to rank guys based on their play relative to my own expectations.

Way above expectations: Demko, Hughes, Miller
All having far and away their best seasons of their careers.

Noticeably above expectations: Motte, Schenn
Schenn didn't look as good for TB, but he has looked like a really good bottom pair level guy here. Motte, obviously, best season of his career. Has really grown past the pure speed/forecheck guy he was before - actual player you can be ok with further up the lineup now.

Slightly above expectations: Myers, Lammikko, Highmore, Pearson, Burroughs
Some level of credit to Myers for holding his head above water at ES after being f***ing terrible there the previous two years. I thought he would be really bad with OEL - but it has done ok defensively. Still absolutely nothing offensively and is a problem contract.
Lammikko has been good recently. Maybe like 25% better than what I expected if he can finish the season in the low 20's pace over 82 games type mark. Highmore seems to be following that Motte path, although a few years behind and not a great PKer yet. Pearson looked like he was on a linear path downwards but has performed at the level of his contract and on pace for roughly 40 points. Was worried we were going to see him regress to like the 25 point mark this year. Burroughs, pretty fun guy to root for.

In line with rough expectations: OEL, Podkolzin, Horvat, Chiasson, Poolman, Garland
OEL - I thought he would be better defensively than he showed in AZ, and I knew for certain his offense was going to dry up as well but just not to this degree. Kind of expected an average middle pair defenseman level performance and that's what we've seen.
Podz - I usually expect nothing more than average 3rd line type production from fourth liners and that's what he's given us.
Horvat - Had ups and downs this season. People forget early in the year he was on the fringes of discussions with the olympic team. Bad as hell recently, but overall season has kind of gone the way you would reasonably expect - especially considering the miscast role he plays in.
Chiasson - just expected nothing, he has, in fact, given nothing.
Poolman - same as chiasson
Garland - has produced basically exactly what you'd expect given his inconsistent linemates and limited PP time.

Below expected: Hoglander, Hunt
Hoglander - fallen off under BB, but can't be too harsh on a guy going through a sophomore slump and getting a coaching change in the hardest season for a player
Hunt - couldn't remember shit about this player so just went off what Drance sold us on his podcasts and am disappointed because he's clearly ass

Far below expected: Pettersson, Dickinson
Pettersson - again, better recently. but the bar needs to be high. should be a guy with 20-30 more points than what he has. Only reason he's not in the next tier down is because I have some leeway for the first 15-20 games because he showed up late due to the contract situation.
Dickinson - I expected like some sort of average 3rd liner but this guy is ASS man HOLY

Brandon Prust tier: Halak, Boeser, Hamonic
Halak - Stop a beach ball
Boeser - Sloth, was good last year but literally awful this year
Hamonic - Was expecting an ok #5 D but we've gotten a dude who has spent half the season defending the vaccine rather than anything on the ice

Agree with pretty much all of this except I don't think Boeser should be at the very bottom.

He looks like ass most of the time but he's still on pace for 50 points in a year where his main center has been just as lousy.

Also not really a disagreement but just a comment: I agree with where OEL is placed, just didn't expect him to be better defensively than offensively lol.

Reactions: bh53 and Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Agree with pretty much all of this except I don't think Boeser should be at the very bottom.

He looks like ass most of the time but he's still on pace for 50 points in a year where his main center has been just as lousy.

Also not really a disagreement but just a comment: I agree with where OEL is placed, just didn't expect him to be better defensively than offensively lol.
Just realized I had a typo on that Podkolzin portion. I meant to say I usually expect 3rd line production from rookies unless they’re McDavid types.

Agree re OEL - it’s been a minor inverse of what I was expecting but the total sum of what he gives is still the same as my overall expectation.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
1. Demko
2. Miller
3. Hughes
4. Garland
5. OEL
6. Pettersson
7. Myers
8. Horvat
9. Motte
10. Pearson
11. Boeser
12. Lammikko
13. Podkolzin
14. Hoglander
15. Schenn

Ready to catch hands for the #10 and 11 slots, but Pearson hasn't been spoonfed #1 PP time and similar numbers. Needless to say, I've been very disappointed with Boeser this year.

Reactions: sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad