NHL Entry Draft: Top 14 Mock

Discussion in 'Mock Drafts' started by Peter Sidorkiewicz, May 9, 2011.

1. Peter Sidorkiewicz

Peter Sidorkiewicz Devils Army

In past years, I usually have a go at predicting the top 30 but this years draft is really hard and after the top 15 it is a crapshoot. I do like to comment on my picks so I decided to stick to the lottery teams. Here we go:

1. Edmonton - Adam Larsson D

After stocking up on offensive talent in the past 3 drafts, it is time for Edmonton to start building a top defense. Larsson has been a consistent no. 1 choice for the past few years, although Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would also be a good choice.

2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog W

With Colorado impressive depth at center, they are in a position to bypass RNH and take the best winger available in Landeskog. I think he is an excellent prospect and is ready to go straight to NHL as a possible top 6 replacement for the recently departed Chris Stewart.

3. Florida - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins C

RNH could of easily gone no. 1, Florida can't believe their that he is available. Despite his slight statue, I think he make the NHL as the teams 2nd line center behind Stephen Weiss.

4. New Jersey - Sean Courtier C

Although New Jersey could use a top d prospect that can quarterback a power play, Courtier is too big and talented to pass on. Given his impressive size, he is another player that can play NHL next season. NJ's 2nd line center spot is open after the departure of Jason Arnott.

5. New York Islanders - Ryan Strome C

Strome or Huberdeau? Islanders can't go wrong either way but I think they take the natural center, as they have good depth at wing. They could give consideration to Doug Hamilton but I think he is in an a tier below the top 6.

6. Ottawa - Joanthan Huberdeau W/C

Huberdeau is an easy choice for Ottawa. He can play wing and center but I think his future will be a wing, possible next to Spezza as early as next season.

7. Atlanta - Sven Bartschi W

Atlanta needs a goal scoring winger. They will consider Joel Armia but the talented Swiss has risen fast up the rankings with his impressive rookie season and playoffs at Portland, posting better numbers that what his fellow countryman Nino Neiderreiter did last season.

8. Columbus - Ryan Murphy D

Columbus needs to add to their defensive depth and the need a powerplay quarterback. Murphy is a perfect fit.

9. Boston - Doug Hamilton D

Boston will consider Armia as a future right wing replacement for Michael Ryder and Mark Recchi but Hamilton's two way play and upside is too good to pass up.

10. Minnesota - Joel Armia W

Minnesota selects Armia and looks to form a fearsome finnish duo with last years 1st round pick Mikael Granlund.

11. Colorado - Duncan Siemens D

After drafting a forward with their first pick, Colorado looks to defense with this pick. I think Siemens is the best defenseman available.

12. Carolina - Mika Zibanejad C

Carolina seems to like prospects that have risen fast in the rankings in their draft year. They struck gold with Jeff Skinner last season and Zibanejad could be a similar success story this year.

13. Calgary - Brandon Saad W

This is when the draft gets really hard to predict. I think Calgary goes for the best forward but the best forward available is very subjective at this stage of the draft. Saad has been a consistent top 10 selection in the past couple of years when predicting this draft. I like Seth Ambroz too but it seems he has fallen a little in his draft year.

14. Dallas - Nathan Beaulieu D

Although Dallas addressed their defensive needs by acquring Gogloski, I think that they should further strengthen this area. Beaulieu is the best defenseman available at this pick and is ranked at no. 5 in North Americian skaters by ISS.

2. New York RKY

New York RKY Let's Go Rangers!

Home Page:
    I personally believe that EDM will take RNH first overall.

3. Gibby

Gibby Registered User

I like RNH at 3 too and for the same reasons, but my mock is a disaster lol

4. SensAreReligion

SensAreReligion RCN

jeeze thats tough to see RNH go to 3rd :shakehead (cant seeing it happening) 1st pick.... RNH is the BPA hands down

5. NaturalIce

NaturalIce Registered User

Enjoyed the read, I will echo what everyone else has to say. Edmonton will kick themselves if they dont draft RNH. I dont see Saad going that high, his stock has really dropped.

Other than that, good job!

6. TheNudge

TheNudge Registered User

I actually see it could happen but I think Edm will take RNH but if Edmonton take Larsson 1st overall then colorado will take Landskog meaning florida get a steal with RNH. I simply don't see Landskog get pass up by Colorado since they need a leader and a winger. What I could see is Larsson droping at 4th overall to NJ.

7. OilersPride04

OilersPride04 Registered User

this could happen in the draft if edmotnon takes larsson first But number 5 and number 9 are off IMO

8. TheNudge

TheNudge Registered User

same here, I feel that Hamilton will be in the top 7 for sure and Huberdeau should and will be a top 5. He could even get into the top 3 since Florida is looking for a Center and he's simply a beast.

9. Huffer

Huffer Registered User

Evan, as an Atlanta fan do you think that they should take Bartschi @ 7?

With Murphy and Hamilton still on the board, do you think they could trade down?

10. As an Islander fan, I want Bartschi at 5.

Evan, after reading your mock, now I know why you're mad at me:laugh:

11. SaintMorose

SaintMorose Registered User

ewww Saad gonna be pretty pissed at Feaster if that's who he targets

12. Huffer

Huffer Registered User

Really? I only ask because I have never seen him that high.

The question is though, if he is your guy, wouldn't it be best to trade down and acquire another asset?

13. Definitely! If there's a willng partner, I would trade down, but not lower than 7. I've seen the guy play about a dozen times, and the guy impresses the hell out of me. I even thoought he was better than Nino at this past WJC, and Nino was take 5th in "deeper draft" - but I take drafts and their depth with a grain of salt.

The other side is, if there are no willing trade partners, would I take him 5th? Based on what I know (which is far from everything and probably even far from a lot), yes.

I hate making comparissons, so I will say that I like his wheels, hands, and shooting ability. He's also got some gusto to his game. I love the guy, and it would break my heart if he went to someone like... The Rangers :cry:

14. Peter Sidorkiewicz

After watching the memorial cup playoffs, I think Huberdeau has shot up further. I will be posting a new mock draft soon and have done a re ranking. Hamilton has also risen

15. Peter Sidorkiewicz

Bauer Warrior, thanks for you comments maybe I was a bit too strong replying in your mock. I didn't mean to get that mad but I don't see Atlanta picking any defenseman unless Adam Larsson miraculously falls to them.