Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
More so in filling out the top 10 list.
Yup for sure. It would probably be between those 2, Primeau in 2004, and Barber in 1980 for the final 3 spots.

Another fun one would be ranking the greatest Flyer performances in a single series. There are so many to choose from! Just quickly from the top of my head

73-Dornhoefer vs Minnesota
74- Parent vs Boston
76- Leach vs Boston
77- the whole LCB line vs the Leafs
87-Hextall vs Montreal
89-Kerr & Propp in each of the 1st two rounds
95-Lindros vs the Rags
97-Lindros in each of the first 3 rounds
00-Boucher vs Pittsburgh
04-Esche vs the Devils
04- Roenick vs the Leafs
04- Primeau vs everyone
06- Forsberg vs Buffalo
08- Umberger vs Washington
10- Briere vs everyone
10-Leighton vs Montreal
12- Giroux vs Pittsburgh

Reactions: orangey

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yup for sure. It would probably be between those 2, Primeau in 2004, and Barber in 1980 for the final 3 spots.

Another fun one would be ranking the greatest Flyer performances in a single series. There are so many to choose from! Just quickly from the top of my head

73-Dornhoefer vs Minnesota
74- Parent vs Boston
76- Leach vs Boston
77- the whole LCB line vs the Leafs
87-Hextall vs Montreal
89-Kerr & Propp in each of the 1st two rounds
95-Lindros vs the Rags
97-Lindros in each of the first 3 rounds
00-Boucher vs Pittsburgh
04-Esche vs the Devils
04- Roenick vs the Leafs
04- Primeau vs everyone
06- Forsberg vs Buffalo
08- Umberger vs Washington
10- Briere vs everyone
10-Leighton vs Montreal
12- Giroux vs Pittsburgh

I am pretty sure we could do a Top Ten against Toronto alone.

I will give this more thought but upon first glance...
RED AND BOLD You have omitted one very critical series and that is :)
Bill Barber against Minnesota in 1980. I will put it among the best defensive series by any forward and the fact that he scored nine goals -- including an NHL record three shorties -- is exemplary. That one game where he scored a SHG, PPG and EvenSG... wow the Met Center was raucous. Flyers up 4-0, North Stars score three and on the PP with what four minutes to play and here came Barber yet again.

1985 NYR: Tim Kerr. This was one of the few times I will use the reference men against boys.

1987 Montreal: Pelle Eklund was a superstar!

1987 NYI: Mark Howe and Brad McCrimmon

Bob Dailey in 1977 especially against Toronto. It wasn't too far thereafter when he was compared to both Denis Potvin and Larry Robinson by outsiders. He deserves at least an HM.

2008 Washington: Danny Briere.

1974 NYR: The entire second line of Lonsberry-MacLeish-Dorhoefer. If it wasn't for their contributions, they don't win that series.

Bobby Clarke needs to be referenced at least once and I nominate 1974 vs. Boston.

For sleepers:
  • Joe Paterson against Quebec in 1985.
  • Ken Wregget against Pittsburgh in 1989. The pressure than man must have been under and to perform the way he did. Maybe it was better he didn't have time to think about it.
  • Dave Poulin against NYI in 1987. One game played, two points. The one game was Game 7. The Flyers' version of Willis Reed.
For fillers:
  • Rick MacLeish in 1975 against NYI.
  • Reggie Leach against Toronto (well every opponent -- Conn Smythe despite being swept in the Finals) in 1976.
  • Pete Peeters 1980 NYR. He was nearly invincible.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I am pretty sure we could do a Top Ten against Toronto alone.

I will give this more thought but upon first glance...
RED AND BOLD You have omitted one very critical series and that is :)
Bill Barber against Minnesota in 1980. I will put it among the best defensive series by any forward and the fact that he scored nine goals -- including an NHL record three shorties -- is exemplary. That one game where he scored a SHG, PPG and EvenSG... wow the Met Center was raucous. Flyers up 4-0, North Stars score three and on the PP with what four minutes to play and here came Barber yet again.

1985 NYR: Tim Kerr. This was one of the few times I will use the reference men against boys.

1987 Montreal: Pelle Eklund was a superstar!

1987 NYI: Mark Howe and Brad McCrimmon

Bob Dailey in 1977 especially against Toronto. It wasn't too far thereafter when he was compared to both Denis Potvin and Larry Robinson by outsiders. He deserves at least an HM.

2008 Washington: Danny Briere.

1974 NYR: The entire second line of Lonsberry-MacLeish-Dorhoefer. If it wasn't for their contributions, they don't win that series.

Bobby Clarke needs to be referenced at least once and I nominate 1974 vs. Boston.

For sleepers:
  • Joe Paterson against Quebec in 1985.
  • Ken Wregget against Pittsburgh in 1989. The pressure than man must have been under and to perform the way he did. Maybe it was better he didn't have time to think about it.
  • Dave Poulin against NYI in 1987. One game played, two points. The one game was Game 7. The Flyers' version of Willis Reed.
For fillers:
  • Rick MacLeish in 1975 against NYI.
  • Reggie Leach against Toronto (well every opponent -- Conn Smythe despite being swept in the Finals) in 1976.
  • Pete Peeters 1980 NYR. He was nearly invincible.
All good ones, and Barber vs Minny in 80 for sure! It’s a tough list to narrow to 10, but if I had to single out one, well, what Leach did to Boston in 76 was just unreal. He was flat out unstoppable, especially in game 5!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ MacLeish's reaction to his failed chance to make it 2-0 late in the game was quicker than instantaneous. He knew right away.

--------------

This was a tough series. A physical series. Do you remember this smash?

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Just because it’s been a while, here is one man’s top 10 list of Flyers who deserved to win a Cup while playing in Philly:

Honorable Mentions:
Paul Holmgren
Brad Marsh
Brad McCrimmon
Rick Tocchet
Ilkka Sinisalo
Pelle Lindbergh
Shjon Podein
John Leclair
Sami Kapanen
Keith Primeau
Jeremy Roenick
Scott Hartnell

10. Rod Brind’amour
Well, at least he got one in Carolina. Brindy was a heart and soul player and one of the few Flyers who showed up in the 97 finals.

9. Simon Gagne
One of the best and most underrated players in team history. His return from injury was crucial in the 2010 comeback against Boston.

8. Danny Briere
You couldn’t ask for any more than what Briere gave you in the postseason, he deserved to carry the Cup in 2010

7. Brian Propp
One of the best LWs of his era and an all around good guy. 5 trips to the finals without a ring has to hurt

6. Tim Kerr
The big guy couldn’t catch a break when it came to postseason injuries. A healthy Kerr in the 87 finals could have been the difference maker.

5. Kimmo Timonen
I hate the Hawks, but I was so happy for Kimmo that he got his name on the Cup. It should have been with the Flyers though.

4. Eric Desjardins
Talented and classy, I would have loved to see him take that first lap with the Cup in 2000.

3. Ron Hextall
Hexy came oh so close to winning it all for us in 87 that it was just absolutely crushing when game 7 ended. I would argue that only Reggie Leach in 76 had a better playoff run in a losing effort than Hextall did that Spring.

2. Mark Howe
Two felonies were committed by the Hockey Gods against the supremely talented Howe. First, he never won a Norris trophy, and second, he never played on a Cup winner. The best Dman in franchise history by a mile, he at least got to experience winning a pro championship in the WHA, but it’s just not the same.

1. Dave Poulin
The 2nd best captain in team history and one of the classiest players to ever wear a Flyers sweater, Poulin played through injuries that would have sidelined mere mortals pretty much every spring. His return to the lineup in game 7 vs the Isles in 87 gave the Spectrum crowd and his teammates pure chills of exhilaration. Poulin was a total warrior and he deserved to skate with Lord Stanley’s Cup as much as anyone in Flyer’s history.

And there you have it. As always, please share your thoughts and comments!

Last edited:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Just because it’s been a while, here is one man’s top 10 list of Flyers who deserved to win a Cup while playing in Philly:

Honorable Mentions:
Paul Holmgren
Brad Marsh
Brad McCrimmon
Rick Tocchet
Ilkka Sinisalo
Pelle Lindbergh
Shjon Podein
John Leclair
Sami Kapanen
Jeremy Roenick
Scott Hartnell

10. Rod Brind’amour
Well, at least he got one in Carolina. Brindy was a heart and soul player and one of the few Flyers who showed up in the 97 finals.

9. Simon Gagne
One of the best and most underrated players in team history. His return from injury was crucial in the 2010 comeback against Boston.

8. Danny Briere
You couldn’t ask for any more than what Briere gave you in the postseason, he deserved to carry the Cup in 2010

7. Brian Propp
One of the best LWs of his era and an all around good guy. 5 trips to the finals without a ring has to hurt

6. Tim Kerr
The big guy couldn’t catch a break when it came to postseason injuries. A healthy Kerr in the 87 finals could have been the difference maker.

5. Kimmo Timonen
I hate the Hawks, but I was so happy for Kimmo that he got his name on the Cup. It should have been with the Flyers though.

4. Eric Desjardins
Talented and classy, I would have loved to see him take that first lap with the Cup in 2000.

3. Ron Hextall
Hexy came oh so close to winning it all for us in 87 that it was just absolutely crushing when game 7 ended. I would argue that only Reggie Leach in 76 had a better playoff run in a losing effort than Hextall did that Spring.

2. Mark Howe
Two felonies were committed by the Hockey Gods against the supremely talented Howe. First, he never won a Norris trophy, and second, he never played on a Cup winner. The best Dman in franchise history by a mile, he at least got to experience winning a pro championship in the WHA, but it’s just not the same.

1. Dave Poulin
The 2nd best center in team history and one of the classiest players to ever wear a Flyers sweater, Poulin played through injuries that would have sidelined mere mortals pretty much every spring. His return to the lineup in game 7 vs the Isles in 87 gave the Spectrum crowd and his teammates pure chills of exhilaration. Poulin was a total warrior and he deserved to skate with Lord Stanley’s Cup as much as anyone in Flyer’s history.

Great list. I wish I was around for the teams of the 80s. Brind’Amour is my favorite player ever and thankfully he got one elsewhere.

Desjardins is still ridiculously underrated. What a phenomenal puck moving defenseman that poured his heart and soul into this franchise. Loved his OT winner in 95 against the Rangers.

Gagne was hit or miss in the postseason but scoring the winning goals in Game 4 and 7 against Boston in 2010, as well as the OT winner in Game 6 against Tampa in 04, endeared him to me forever.

Playoff Briere. Enough said.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Honorable Mentions:
Paul Holmgren
Brad Marsh
Brad McCrimmon
Rick Tocchet
Ilkka Sinisalo
Pelle Lindbergh
Shjon Podein
John Leclair
Sami Kapanen
Keith Primeau
Jeremy Roenick
Scott Hartnell

10. Rod Brind’amour

9. Simon Gagne

8. Danny Briere

7. Brian Propp

6. Tim Kerr

5. Kimmo Timonen

4. Eric Desjardins

3. Ron Hextall

2. Mark Howe

1. Dave Poulin
The 2nd best center in team history and one of the classiest players to ever wear a Flyers sweater, Poulin played through injuries that would have sidelined mere mortals pretty much every spring. His return to the lineup in game 7 vs the Isles in 87 gave the Spectrum crowd and his teammates pure chills of exhilaration. Poulin was a total warrior and he deserved to skate with Lord Stanley’s Cup as much as anyone in Flyer’s history.

My top 21 would include everyone on the roster in 1987, then Pelle Lindberg. I'm a real softie.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

I suppose "deserved" is open to interpretation but Eric Lindros could be discussed. Polarizing issues, some home grown, others external, but if anything he helped revitalize a dormant team.

And though the list is players only, add Pat Quinn. Mike Keenan got his Cup later but otherwise I would include him. Quinn should have won a Cup.

Finally, Poulin is the second best captain in team history but second best center?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

I suppose "deserved" is open to interpretation but Eric Lindros could be discussed. Polarizing issues, some home grown, others external, but if anything he helped revitalize a dormant team.

And though the list is players only, add Pat Quinn. Mike Keenan got his Cup later but otherwise I would include him. Quinn should have won a Cup.

Finally, Poulin is the second best captain in team history but second best center?
Lol, that’s a typo, I meant Captain. I didn’t include Lindros because I thought he came up pretty small in the 97 finals, and did little of note in postseasons beyond 97 too.

Quinn absolutely deserved a ring in 1980, and Leon Stickle’s corpse can f*** off!

DJ Mix

Jun 3, 2010
Newark, Delaware
^ MacLeish's reaction to his failed chance to make it 2-0 late was quicker than instantaneous.

--------------

This was a tough series. A physical series. Do you remember this smash?

Wow watching this and at least 4 of those FLYERS are no longer with us.

RIP Pelle Lindbergh, Ilkka Sinisalo, Brad McCrimmon, and Peter Zezel. I didn’t expect to be sad watching this awesome hit!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wow watching this and at least 4 of those FLYERS are no longer with us.

RIP Pelle Lindbergh, Ilkka Sinisalo, Brad McCrimmon, and Peter Zezel. I didn’t expect to be sad watching this awesome hit!
A reality check for sure.

Miro Dvorak was in that era, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Lol, that’s a typo, I meant Captain. I didn’t include Lindros because I thought he came up pretty small in the 97 finals, and did little of note in postseasons beyond 97 too.

Quinn absolutely deserved a ring in 1980, and Leon Stickle’s corpse can f*** off!
Euphemistically I assume, as Stickle is still among us. It was more than that one hideous mistake as we know. But that could be the worst call or no call in NHL history.

Dear God. Imagine if the Flyers and Islanders meet in these playoffs? We will have to see clips of the 1980 Finals shown endlessly as the 40-year anniversary.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Euphemistically, I assume as Stickle is still among us. It was more than that one hideous mistake as we know. But that could be the worst call or no call in NHL history.

Dear God. Imagine if the Flyers and Islanders meet in these playoffs? We will have to see clips of the 1980 Finals shown endlessly as the 40-year anniversary.
I try to pretend that series never it happened, it’s that infuriating.

Also the last time anyone made a call as bad as Stickle was when Neville Chamberlain declared “Peace in our time” in 1938.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

Have you done a Top 10 mid-season acquisitions?

Trades that helped for that year and the playoffs only.

Mike Bullard would make the list.
Lol, every time I think of Bullard I think of Holmgren grabbing him by the throat prior to a playoff game. It would be an interesting list to contemplate.

2 names that come to mind are Malakhov and Markov in 2004. As depleted as our D was that Spring, I can’t even imagine how bad it would have been without those 2.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Lol, every time I think of Bullard I think of Holmgren grabbing him by the throat prior to a playoff game. It would be an interesting list to contemplate.

2 names that come to mind are Malakhov and Markov in 2004. As depleted as our D was that Spring, I can’t even imagine how bad it would have been without those 2.

For sure, two of the best. One that could be overlooked but shouldn't because of intangibles and that is Sean Burke in 2004.

Desjardins + LeClair would be at or near the top of the list.

Leino of course.

Karl Dykhuis? Paul Coffey?

Coming up with 10 may be tough.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
For sure, two of the best. One that could be overlooked but shouldn't because of intangibles and that is Sean Burke in 2004.

Desjardins + LeClair would be at or near the top of the list.

Karl Dykhuis? Paul Coffey?

Coming up with 10 may be tough.
I thought you were only talking about rentals. If you are including anyone acquired mid season, then Rico and Leclair would have to be pretty close to the top.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->