Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

I'll do a Top Ten OT Goals in Playoffs...

A very tough list and too many that were not even mentioned including 1978 (Colorado) and 1980 (Edmonton) in the first games of those mini-series. We also forgot about Karl Dykhuis in the opener of 1995. Voracek Game 1 2012 vs. Pittsburgh, the Knuble goal in 2008 vs. Washington.)

I gave more credence to series won and with that passed on certain goals (Gagne, Game 6 vs. Tampa Bay in 2004 or Game 4 vs. Washington in 1988 as examples).

1. Bobby Clarke -- Game 2, 1974 at Boston
In a league of its own.

2. Reggie Leach -- Game 4, 1977 at Toronto
Perhaps the ballsiest game in Flyers' history. Emblematic of more than a game, of an era!

3. Mark Howe -- Game 1, 1985 vs. NY Rangers
Killed demons from the prior three years. A collective gasp from all of us. We were proud once again.

4. Joffrey Lupul -- Game 7, 2008 at Washington
Game 7 road wins are too rare to forget. And on the power play, even more so.
Flyers @ Capitals 4/22/08 Game 7
5. Keith Primeau -- Game 4, 2000 at Pittsburgh
6. Jeremy Roenick -- Game 6, 2004 at Toronto
That entire sequence with Sami Kapanen. A Hollywood script couldn't envision this.
5/4/04: Roenick's OT Goal in Game 6
jeremy_roenick4.jpeg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg
7. Ilkka Sinisalo -- Game 1, 1987 vs. Montreal
The most tantalizing goal in Flyers' history.
1987 playoffs - Flyers' Sinisalo scores OT winner vs Montreal
8. Simon Gagne -- Game 4, 2010 vs. Boston
9. Gary Dornhoefer -- Game 5, 1973 vs. Minnesota
A statue was made of this goal. It was that big.
635935736773567702-AP-101028123400.jpg
10. Mark Recchi -- Game 4, 2003 at Toronto
This choice could have gone elsewhere but for now it will stay at #10.
Mark Recchi 3OT Goal 2003 Playoffs

Last edited:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
This thread once again reminded me that I need to dig through all the legal (and less legal) internet ways to watch 70s/80s games. Many remarkable moments I wish to see have been mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: BiggE

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

How is your blood pressure?

The 10 most infuriating goals whether self-inflicted, via the assistance of outside forces, voodoo or any other contributing factor. My list is in flux but this is a start...

RankWhoWhenOpponentReason
1Leon StickleGame 6 1980NY IslandersHe apologized for lacking proper vision and terrible judgment and oh helping to cost a team and a city a championship.
2Bobby NystromGame 6 1980NY IslandersThe culmination for arguably the most spurious Cup Finals in NHL history.
3Patrick KaneGame 6 2010ChicagoLose the draft lottery. Lose the series. Flyers' luck on full display.
4Dennis PotvinGame 1 1980NY IslandersCalling a penalty in OT in an era when that was unthinkable. Set the stage for the most infuriating series in team history. And the goal came with one second left on the minor
5Dale HunterGame 7 1988WashingtonUp 3-0 in Game 7, once up 3-1 in games, lose in OT in what was the last game of the Mike Keenan Era.
6Claude LemiuexGame 5 1995New JerseyAmong the most deficient goals ever allowed.
7Chris CheliosGame 6 1989MontrealHe almost killed Propp in Game 1 on a play not penalized and then scores the most important goal of this series. The reason why Hextall nearly decapitated him in retaliation. In the logic of one NHL executive: It should have been a penalty, it wasn't called, can't suspend someone for a non-penalty.
8Glenn AndersonGame 7 1987EdmontonThis would have been the biggest victory parade in the city's history. Unless experienced, the popularity of this team was beyond compare. The championship parade would have dwarfed anything seen previously.
9Ruslan FedotenkoGame 6 2009PittsburghBegan the 3-goal comeback just seconds after the Carcillo-Talbot fight.
10Joey KocurGame 1 1997DetroitA rusty Kjell Samuelsson's (second game in about five months) blind pass led to a momentum-swinging goal. Other goals (Steve Yzerman Game 1, Kirk Maltby Game 2) could have been included as well.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

The 10 most infuriating goals whether self-inflicted, via the assistance of outside forces, voodoo or any other contributing factor. My list is in flux but this is a start...

1Leon StickleGame 6 1980NY IslandersHe apologized for lacking proper vision and terrible judgment and oh helping to cost a team and a city a championship.
2Bobby NystromGame 6 1980NY IslandersThe culmination for arguably the most spurious Cup Finals in NHL history.
3Patrick KaneGame 6 2010ChicagoLose the draft lottery. Lose the series. Flyers' luck on full display.
4Dennis PotvinGame 1 1980NY IslandersCalling a penalty in OT in an era when that was unthinkable. Set the stage for the most infuriating series in team history. And the goal came with one second left on the minor
5Dale HunterGame 7 1988WashingtonUp 3-0 in Game 7, once up 3-1 in games, lose in OT in what was the last game of the Mike Keenan Era.
6Claude LemiuexGame 5 1995New JerseyAmong the most deficient goals ever allowed.
7Chris CheliosGame 6 1989MontrealHe almost killed Propp in Game 1 on a play not penalized and then scored the most important goal of this series. The reason why Hextall nearly decapitated him in retaliation. In the logic of one NHL official: It should have been a penalty, it wasn't called, can't suspend someone for a non-penalty.
8Glenn AndersonGame 7 1987EdmontonThis would have been the biggest victory parade in the city's history. Unless experienced, the popularity of this team was beyond compare. The championship parade would have dwarfed anything seen previously.
9Ruslan FedotenkoGame 6 2009PittsburghBegan the 3-goal comeback just seconds after the Carcillo-Talbot fight.
10Joey KocurGame 1 1997DetroitA rusty Kjell Samuelsson's (second game in about five months) blind pass led to a momentum-swinging goal.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Damn man, I can’t handle this first thing in the morning, lol! One more that should be on the list: the one Parent “lost in the sun” that cost them a playoff berth in the last game of the 69-70 season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
@BiggE

7Chris CheliosGame 6 1989MontrealHe almost killed Propp in Game 1 on a play not penalized and then scores the most important goal of this series. The reason why Hextall nearly decapitated him in retaliation. In the logic of one NHL official: It should have been a penalty, it wasn't called, can't suspend someone for a non-penalty.
10Joey KocurGame 1 1997DetroitA rusty Kjell Samuelsson's (second game in about five months) blind pass led to a momentum-swinging goal.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I would also add Potvin's high stick goal in that infamous game 6 of 1980. You know if a Flyer scored with a high stick in that series, it would immediately be waved off.

The Claude Lemieux goal still stings. I still maintain had Hextall made that save, the Flyers win in OT and win the series a few nights later. That 1995 Flyers had the best chance of winning the Cup during the Lindros era. They were young, hungry, healthy and had chemistry, ingredients lacking in later years.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I would also add Potvin's high stick goal in that infamous game 6 of 1980. You know if a Flyer scored with a high stick in that series, it would immediately be waved off.

The Claude Lemieux goal still stings. I still maintain had Hextall made that save, the Flyers win in OT and win the series a few nights later. That 1995 Flyers had the best chance of winning the Cup during the Lindros era. They were young, hungry, healthy and had chemistry, ingredients lacking in later years.

No, they still don't beat the Red Wings.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Damn man, I can’t handle this first thing in the morning, lol! One more that should be on the list: the one Parent “lost in the sun” that cost them a playoff berth in the last game of the 69-70 season.

True but this one was more glaring among all regular season goals which also cost a playoff spot on the final day...

A 30-foot goal by Gerry Meehan with just four seconds left gave the Sabres their victory over Philadelphia and knocked the Flyers out of the playoffs. The Flyers and Pittsburgh finished with identical 26-38-14 records, but the Penguins gained the playoff spot since they won their season series with Philadelphia.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
No, they still don't beat the Red Wings.
Would have been an interesting series if the Flyers played the Wings in '95. The Wings won in '97 and '98 after learning valuable lessons in crushing losses to the Devils in '95 and Avs in '96.

They weren't ready to win in '95, but neither were the Flyers.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
True but this one was more glaring among all regular season goals which also cost a playoff spot on the final day...

A 30-foot goal by Gerry Meehan with just four seconds left gave the Sabres their victory over Philadelphia and knocked the Flyers out of the playoffs. The Flyers and Pittsburgh finished with identical 26-38-14 records, but the Penguins gained the playoff spot since they won their season series with Philadelphia.

You enjoy torturing me, don’t ya?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
You enjoy torturing me, don’t ya?

That was Fred Shero's first season. The team was still in its embryonic stages. A playoff spot would have pitted them against Chicago who was the #1 defensive team in the League. They went to the Finals the year prior and year after and swept Pittsburgh this series. Considering where the franchises were in 1972, it wasn't a critical goal in terms of the future success, just that it occurred with four seconds to play. If anything it signaled the end to the first five years. Things got better the next season.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Paul Coffey getting treated like a little bitch was terrible.

With the possible exception of Rod Brind'Amour, I am not sure any Flyer played anything close to even mediocre in that series. Maybe I blanked out others but it was a collapse. Losing Petr Svoboda in the first game didn't help matters but the D was dreadful. The forwards were nearly invisible. The goaltending stink, stank, stunk. Coaching was in panic mode, too.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
With the possible exception of Rod Brind'Amour, I am not sure any Flyer played anything close to even mediocre in that series. Maybe I blanked out others but it was a collapse. Losing Petr Svoboda in the first game didn't help matters but the D was dreadful. The forwards were nearly invisible. The goaltending stink, stank, stunk. Coaching was in panic mode, too.

I agree. I got into a discussion about best Flyers postseasons in an Appleyard thread and he talked about Lindros' 1997. I am basically a Lindros apologist, and as good as he was the rest of that postseason, he flat-out disappeared in the Finals.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I agree. I got into a discussion about best Flyers postseasons in an Appleyard thread and he talked about Lindros' 1997. I am basically a Lindros apologist, and as good as he was the rest of that postseason, he flat-out disappeared in the Finals.

It is saying something though that after Brind'Amour he might have been the best Flyer in those finals.

On ice for EVERY Flyers goal for. (if scorers had got it right I believe he would have had 4pts in 4gp... did not get an assist on a Brindy or LeClair goal if I remember correctly when touch-passed it earlier in sequence.)

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The best postseason runs by Flyers I ever saw would have to include:

Both Parent & Macleish in both Cup runs.

Reggie Leach in 76

Ron Hextall in 87

Danny Briere in 2010

Those are easily the top 7 for me. After that it gets harder to choose.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE

Reggie Leach in 76

Ron Hextall in 87

Danny Briere in 2010

Primeau had a pretty good go that one year.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Reggie Leach in 76

Ron Hextall in 87

Danny Briere in 2010

Consider 1989 and Tim Kerr. Unstoppable until getting his thumb broken by Jim Johnson of Pittsburgh. He averaged nearly 2 PPG until getting slashed. Propp was awesome, too. Both healthy, Flyers likely beat Montreal that postseason and make the Finals or at least a much better opportunity

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Consider 1989 and Tim Kerr. Unstoppable until getting his thumb broken by Jim Johnson of Pittsburgh. He averaged nearly 2 PPG until getting slashed. Propp was awesome, too. Both healthy, Flyers likely beat Montreal that postseason and make the Finals or at least a much better opportunity
No doubt they would be in the running, but I can’t rank them higher than any of my original top 7.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That Carcillo-Talbot fight drove me insane when it happened. Talbot was looking for a spark and Carcillo gave it to him. FOR NO DAMNED REASON. Pick your spots dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad