Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Could be one and the same in some cases. I’ll play with this one tomorrow.

Both Claude Lemieux and Ulf Samuelsson had better be on this list.

Some players fit one category but not the other while some opponents fit on both lists. Noel Picard is probably more villain than nemesis while Martin Brodeur is more nemesis than villain.

Igor Ulanov is likely one to the villain list

If I had to pick a #1 nemesis, and "all" were options, it could very well be Scotty Bowman. What did we say, @BiggE, the Flyers were 0-6 against his teams in the playoffs? (2-StL, 2-Mtl, Chic, Detr?)

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
In the spirit of MSE’s idea, here are my most hated teams in Flyers history. Later on I’ll post lists of individual villains /nemeses

Dishonorable mentions:
The 88-89 Penguins
Mid 90s to 2006 Sabres
Early 2000s Ottawa Senators

10. Montreal in the mid to late 70s
It was a mix of jealousy and hatred, but we despised those Habs teams mainly because we could never beat em!

9. Today’s Washington Capitals
Tom f’n Wilson pretty much says it all.

8. mid to late 80s Capitals
Any team that employed Dale Hunter and Kevin Hatcher is automatically on this list

7. NYI late 70s thru mid 80s
Garry Howatt and the like we’re thoroughly despised in Philly. f***ers stole the 1980 Cup from us too!!

6. Boston, mid to late 70s
One of the Flyers earliest rivals, the battles between our clubs were epic and the hate ran deep.

5. St Louis 67-72
The Flyers first true rivalry. With players like Steve Durbano, Noel Picard and the Plager bros, the Blues were public enemy #1 in the earliest days of the Flyers franchise

4. NJ Devils since the mid 90s
Brodeur, Stevens and Claude f***ing Lemieux, need I go on?

3. Toronto 75-77
The hatred between these 2 teams was off the chart! It was war when these teams met during this era and with the NHL’s blatant favoritism of the Leafs and visceral hatred of the Flyers it was always us against the world when played in Toronto.

2. Pittsburgh since 2005
Crybaby Crosby and his band of cheap shot whiners are thoroughly and rightfully despised in Philly. Matt Cooke and James Neal both fill me with murderous intent!

1. The New York F’n Rangers
From Brad Park to Tomas Sandstrom to Jeff Beukeboom to Sean Avery, this is the franchise we all love to hate. They can all rot in hell! Jay Snider said it best: “you want to beat any team to show that you are superior, but you want to beat the Rangers just to shut them up” Never forget, fans of this franchise were the ones who held up a sign saying: Buy a Porsche Hextall!! f*** them all!!

And there ya go! As always please feel free to comment and post a list of your own. Oh, and wash your damn hands!!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I don't know what the numbers will show but the Flyers had tremendous success against Patrick Roy (Montreal days) and seemed to do better against Billy Smith than Glenn Resch. Jacques Plante had the Flyers' number in the early days with the expansion Blues. The established Bruins under Gerry Cheevers had strong numbers. But I also seem to recall Mike Vernon being a thorn in the side. Just random goalies over the years to consider.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Flyers at 50: The birth of the Broad Street Bullies

“We beat Boston and they didn’t cry,” Nolet said. “They played tough and we played tough. That was hockey then. Montreal had big guys who fought. John Ferguson — I fought him and got killed. ...

“I never understood why [Montreal] cried how the Flyers won their two Cups with tough teams. That’s how hockey was back then. It was the '70s.”
Simon Nolet
================================
6. Boston, mid to late 70s
One of the Flyers earliest rivals, the battles between our clubs were epic and the hate ran deep.

About that rivalry, the players generally respected each other and in many instances were friends away from the ice. Many of the early Flyers' players made their way through Oklahoma where the Bruins had their farm club. That was likely the genesis.

All one had to do was see Bobby Clarke and Bobby Orr at the outdoor game in Boston. That was mutual respect and admiration. Of course, they were teammates on Team Canada and in 1972 established permanent bonds.

Orr was best man at Joe Watson's wedding. After the 1974 Finals, Watson wanted to share champagne with Orr who declined by saying that celebration should be for the winning team.

Then again there was the Wayne Cashman-Paul Holmgren fight near the dressing rooms which led to a gate being installed to separate teams. So many battles and fights.

------------------------------------------
Montreal:
1. Perezhogin - Primeau

2. Chelios - Propp

3. Bureau - Svoboda

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Here are the candidates for the villains list:

Noel Picard
Steve Durbano
The Plager Bros.
Stan Jonathon
Dave “Tiger” Williams
Terry O’Reilly
Tomas Sandstrom
Dale Hunter
Billy Smith
Kevin Hatcher
Garry Howatt
Robbie Brown
Claude Lemieux
Chris Chelios
Ulf Samuelsson
Marc Bureau
Darius Kasparitis
Matthew Barnaby
Scott Stevens
Rob Ray
Darcy Tucker
Tie Domi
Martin Havlat
Igor Ulyanov
Matt Cooke
James Neal
Brad Marchand
Tom Wilson

Now I just gotta narrow it down to 10!

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here are my finalists for the villains list (give or take a player due to the "Bros.") based on the list above:

Noel Picard
Steve Durbano
The Plager Bros.
Stan Jonathon
Dave “Tiger” Williams
Terry O’Reilly
Tomas Sandstrom
Dale Hunter

Billy Smith
Kevin Hatcher
Garry Howatt
Robbie Brown
Claude Lemieux
Chris Chelios
Ulf Samuelsson

Marc Bureau
Darius Kasparitis
Matthew Barnaby
Scott Stevens
Rob Ray
Darcy Tucker
Tie Domi
Martin Havlat
Igor Ulanov
Matt Cooke
James Neal
Brad Marchand
Tom Wilson

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Here are my finalists for the villains list (give or take a player due to the "Bros.") based on the list above:

Noel Picard
Steve Durbano
The Plager Bros.
Stan Jonathon
Dave “Tiger” Williams
Terry O’Reilly
Tomas Sandstrom
Dale Hunter

Billy Smith
Kevin Hatcher
Garry Howatt
Robbie Brown
Claude Lemieux
Chris Chelios
Ulf Samuelsson

Marc Bureau
Darius Kasparitis
Matthew Barnaby
Scott Stevens
Rob Ray
Darcy Tucker
Tie Domi
Martin Havlat
Igor Ulyanov
Matt Cooke
James Neal
Brad Marchand
Tom Wilson
All 9 are excellent choices. I have a few more who made the final cut as well, will post soon. Also, I made the executive decision to count the Plagers as one.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
And hear we go, the top 10 villains in Flyers history!!

dishonorable mentions
Tom Wilson
James Neal
Darius Kasparitus
Igor Ulyanov
Matthew Barnaby
Steve Durbano
Matt Cooke

10. Marc Bureau
This P.O.S. basically tried to kill Petr Svoboda. I threw up the day the Flyers acquired him.

9. The Plager Brothers
Barclay and Bob Plager were 2 vicious, nasty bastards who suited up for the Blues back in the early days of the expansion era. Both loved throwing cheapshots too.

8. Ulf Samuelsson
This piece of garbage was one of the dirtiest players to ever lace up skates. If you don’t believe me, just ask Cam Neely. Another guy the Flyers should have never acquired!

7. Scott Stevens
This head hunting piece of garbage ended Eric Lindros’ career and any chance the Flyers had of winning the Cup in 2000. f*** him!

6. Darcy Tucker
A cheap shot throwing coward, this weasel infuriated players and fans alike. Watching the Flyers bump his team out of the playoffs in back to back years was awesome!

5. Noel Picard
This hulking St Louis Dman terrorized the Flyers corps of small, finesse forwards in the late 60s. He would just grab a guy and start beating on him. He, along with the Plagers, are why the Broad Street Bullies were built.

4. Chris Chelios
This chickenshit f***wad first tries to kill Brian Propp with a flying elbow and then he turtles when Hextall goes after him at the end of the series. Chelios had a reputation for hitting high, late and often from behind so no one should have been that surprised. I hope he rots in hell!

3. Claude Lemieux
One look at his slimy mug made one want to punch him. Another nasty puke who rarely dropped the gloves, his childish antics and dirty play infuriated every team in the league. Hell, he even annoyed his own teammates at times!

2. Dale Hunter
God do I hate him. Nasty, dirty and another face that was badly in need of punching. He is definitely in the conversation for dirtiest player of all time and he was one of the most hated players in NHL history.

1. Tomas F’n Sandstrom
At least Hunter would occasionally drop the gloves unlike this cowardly f***wad. Sandstrom loved to hit and slash from behind then skate behind the officials. Dave Brown should be in the Flyers Hall of Fame just for crosschecking this puke in the face!! I wouldn’t piss on Sandstrom if he was on fire. Of all the Rangers I have ever hated, and that’s a damn long list, he’s the one I hate the most!

And there you have it, you know the drill!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Here’s a new one, 10 players I would have loved to see in a Flyers uniform. Note: all 10 were once Flyers property or rumored to be coming to Philly in a trade or via FA.

1. Peter Stasmy: we almost had him (and his brothers too). Having a #1 center like Stasmy probably puts one of those 80s teams over the top.

2. Ray Bourque: seeing one of the top 10 Dmen of all time in black and orange would have been amazing

3. Cam Neely: the trade was almost a done deal, oh well

4. Curtis Joseph: the goalie Clarke needed to sign in 98

5. Shea Weber: maybe not for 14 years at nearly 8 million per, but still, he would have been a huge add

6. Ian Turnbull: would have been a good, needed pickup for our D back then

7. Jari Kurri: had him for a moment, would have been interesting

8. Al MacAdam: a good, solid LW that, as a prospect, was included in the Reggie Leach deal

9. Dustin Byfuglien: well, it was rumored so many times, might of well have happened! Plus, he’d just make the team more fun

10. Mike Richter: probably wasn’t going to leave NY, but seeing the kid from Flourtown in orange and black in 98 would have been pretty cool.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

I noticed a certain d-man was omitted from the list. Think '89 playoffs. :sarcasm:

Also, if the Kings didn't match the Charlie Buddy offer sheet if he would have steadied the defense and to what degree back in '91.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

I noticed a certain d-man was omitted from the list. Think '89 playoffs. :sarcasm:

Also, if the Kings didn't match the Charlie Buddy offer sheet if he would have steadied the defense and to what degree back in '91.

Huddy certainly would have helped. The one that really could have changed everything was Stasmy. Imagine him centering Propp and Kerr in the mid 80s, it would have been one of the best lines in the NHL

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I have to ask. Why "Stasmy"? Three times you typed that.

Also, Kurri was a paper deal. He wasn't returning to North America unless he played with Gretzky. The Flyers had him on paper only.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I have to ask. Why "Stasmy"? Three times you typed that.

Also, Kurri was a paper deal. He wasn't returning to North America unless he played with Gretzky. The Flyers had him on paper only.
Stasmy, lol. Curse of the small screen/poor eyesight. Sucks getting old. Odds are I misspelled it the first time and my phone then autocorrected the others

STASNY DAMMIT!!!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Stasmy, lol. Curse of the small screen/poor eyesight. Sucks getting old. Odds are I misspelled it the first time and my phone then autocorrected the others

STASNY DAMMIT!!!

I copied to get the full effect: Anton Šťastný

Back to the original comment: No Chelios? I am good with that.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
He would have been #1
I was trying to gauge the criteria used.

The situation with Neely was complicated. Compensation required in a Bos-Van deal. Clarke tried to convince Vancouver to take Brian Propp in a trade for Neely and send Propp as compensation to the Bruins for Van signing Barry Pederson. Neely said after he retired he would have been honored in a way to play for the Flyers if this had happened.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I was trying to gauge the criteria used.

The situation with Neely was complicated. Compensation required in a Bos-Van deal. Clarke tried to convince Vancouver to take Brian Propp in a trade for Neely and send Propp as compensation to the Bruins for Van signing Barry Pederson. Neely said after he retired he would have been honored in a way to play for the Flyers if this had happened.
At least in the end, they swapped Rich Sutter for Daigneault which paid big dividends in the 87 finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad