Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
H

Horrid trades in no particular order

McCrimmon for draft picks because Clarke was to stubborn to pay The Beast what he was worth

Zezel for Bullard

Poulin for Linseman YUCK

Sharp for Ellison though mostly in hindsight

Handzus for Calder

A boatload for the rental of Oates

A 2nd round pick for Kubina

JVR for L Schenn

How about a certain trade on draft day 2008 involving Steve Eminger?

Bullard for Zezel worked out in the Flyers' favor short term. He was on fire that one season and the Flyers went 13-2-1 (IIRC) in his first 16 games... he had something like 21 points. He was a leading contributor on a slumping team that needed a major boost that was three games away from the NHL Finals.

And then Holmgren nearly decapitated him.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This isn't Top Ten but a little history as we commemorate the remarkable 1980 Gold Medal win by the U.S. in the Olympics. The Flyers were the only U.S. based NHL team in existence in 1980 to never have one of the Gold Medal winners play with their franchise. The other NHL teams in existence in 1980 to never have one of those players on its roster were all Canadian based: Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec and Edmonton.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
This isn't Top Ten but a little history as we commemorate the remarkable 1980 Gold Medal win by the US in the Olympics. The Flyers were the only U.S. based NHL team in existence in 1980 to never have one of the Gold medal winners play with their franchise. The other NHL teams in existence in 1980 to never have one of those players on its roster were all Canadian based: Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec and Edmonton.
Yup
I remember being so frustrated that we didn’t have the rights to any of those guys, especially after watching Kenny Morrow skate with the Cup.

That Swedish goalie worked out pretty well though.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yup
I remember being so frustrated that we didn’t have the rights to any of those guys, especially after watching Kenny Morrow skate with the Cup.

That Swedish goalie worked out pretty well though.

At the time, there were broadcast windows to show the Olympic events. Prior to cable/satellite and certainly the internet. I forget the specifics but as an example ABC showed prime time coverage from 8-10 pm ET and that was it (though my memory of that is foggy).

Anyway, I was into the hockey Olympics that year and before the crush. I remember a snippet from The Hockey News regarding this goalie from Sweden and how much I wanted him to succeed on the big stage. Remember, in 1980, Sweden may have been on a different planet in terms of exposure prior to current technology and to actually see this person whom I read in small doses in hockey publications was something extravagant. I rooted for him but also cheered when Bill Baker scored on that magnificent goalie. A tie was "like kissing your sister" as the oft-used phrase of the time but that moment was something splendid.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
At the time, there were broadcast windows to show the Olympic events. Prior to cable/satellite and certainly the internet. I forget the specifics but as an example ABC showed prime time coverage from 8-10 pm ET and that was it (though my memory of that is foggy).

Anyway, I was into the hockey Olympics that year and before the crush. I remember a snippet from The Hockey News regarding this goalie from Sweden and how much I wanted him to succeed on the big stage. Remember, in 1980, Sweden may have been on a different planet in terms of exposure prior to current technology and to actually see this person whom I read in small doses in hockey publications was something extravagant. I rooted for him but also cheered when Bill Baker scored on that magnificent goalie. A tie was "like kissing your sister" as the oft-used phrase of the time but that moment was something splendid.
Yes, that moment was amazing. Lose that opening game and they probably have no shot at a medal, especially gold.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

I have another suggestion for you. Top ten quotes of all-time.

Moose about the Canucks "chicken..."
Fred Shero's "Win today and walk..."
Some others are obvious, if you accept the task.
@BiggE

I have another suggestion for you. Top ten quotes of all-time.

Moose about the Canucks "chicken..."
Fred Shero's "Win today and walk..."
Some others are obvious, if you accept the task.
Gonna take some research, but sure, why not.

Bernie’s classic “some fun, eh?” and Lavi’s “just get one” will almost certainly be on the list too.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
What people sometimes overlook or perhaps don't realize even today is there was a scenario in which if the US lost to Finland in the finale, the Americans wouldn't medal at all.
Yup, it was weird system and not a true playoff that year. However, I think the worst they could finish, IIRC, was bronze. The medal was based on total points earned among the final four teams. Going into the last 2 games, the USSR had 2, the Swedes 3, the Finns 0 and the US 3. So Finish win coupled with a Sweden/USSR tie would have left it as:
Gold: Sweden 4
Silver: Russia 3 (tie breaker was goal differential)
Bronze: US 3
4th: Finland 2

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Yup, it was weird system and not a true playoff that year. However, I think the worst they could finish, IIRC, was bronze. The medal was based on total points earned among the final four teams. Going into the last 2 games, the USSR had 2, the Swedes 3, the Finns 0 and the US 3. So Finish win coupled with a Sweden/USSR tie would have left it as:
It was a miracle to me the States beat CCCP in those Olympics!
Bunch of college kids beating probably one of the best Russian teams ever assembled!:sarcasm:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

There was a complicated scenario for the US not to medal:

Miracle on Ice - Wikipedia

The United States did not win the gold medal by defeating the USSR. In 1980, the medal round was a round-robin, not a single elimination format as it is today. Under Olympic rules at the time, the group game with Sweden was counted along with the medal round games versus the Soviet Union and Finland, so it was mathematically possible for the United States to finish anywhere from first to fourth.
Needing to win to secure the gold medal, Team USA came back from a 2–1 third-period deficit to defeat Finland 4–2.

This link describes it much better;

Had 1980 U.S. hockey team lost to Finland, Soviets would have won gold

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
There was a complicated scenario for the US not to medal:

Miracle on Ice - Wikipedia

The United States did not win the gold medal by defeating the USSR. In 1980, the medal round was a round-robin, not a single elimination format as it is today. Under Olympic rules at the time, the group game with Sweden was counted along with the medal round games versus the Soviet Union and Finland, so it was mathematically possible for the United States to finish anywhere from first to fourth.
Needing to win to secure the gold medal, Team USA came back from a 2–1 third-period deficit to defeat Finland 4–2.

This link describes it much better;

Had 1980 U.S. hockey team lost to Finland, Soviets would have won gold
Yup, you are correct. I thought Sweden beat Finland, I forgot it was a tie.

Brooks summed it up perfectly after the 2nd period when he said’ “lose this game, you’ll take it to your f***ing grave”!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Before I work on the 10 greatest quotes in Flyers history, here are 3 other great hockey quotes:

“Lose this game, you’ll take it to your f***ing grave”
Herb Brooks after the 2nd period vs Finland in 1980

“if we can’t beat em on the ice, we’ll beat em in the alley”
Conn Smythe, owner and GM of the Maple Leafs

“Have another doughnut, you fat pig”
Sabres coach Jim Schoenfeld to referee Don Koharski

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
And after watching the USA-USSR game, the Flyers had a little match against the Canucks which I think ended around 1:00 a.m. ET that same evening/overnight. Amongst the best days of hockey...ever!

Toe Blake! Eddie Shore!

One of my favorite stories re: a brawl is when the Flyers were playing the Blackhawks in the 1970s and Clarke was wrapped up with Stan Mikita. By the time they were separated, they were telling each other what they were getting their kids for Christmas.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
H

Horrid trades in no particular order

McCrimmon for draft picks because Clarke was to stubborn to pay The Beast what he was worth

Zezel for Bullard

Poulin for Linseman YUCK

Sharp for Ellison though mostly in hindsight

Handzus for Calder

A boatload for the rental of Oates

A 2nd round pick for Kubina

JVR for L Schenn

How about a certain trade on draft day 2008 involving Steve Eminger?

Bullard for Zezel worked out in the Flyers' favor short term. He was on fire that one season and the Flyers went 13-2-1 (IIRC) in his first 16 games... he had something like 21 points. He was a leading contributor on a slumping team that needed a major boost that was three games away from the NHL Finals.

And then Holmgren nearly decapitated him.

Players acquired for draft picks, especially first rounders, typically annoy me.

Eminger for a 1st (John Carlson)... blech.

Falloon for a 1st (Danny Briere) and 4th.

The Bobrovsky trade to Columbus.

Versteeg for a 1st (luckily no one of note) and 3rd.

The Oates acquisition.

Upshall and a 2nd for Carcillo.

Ellison for Sharp.

There's an argument that the Lindros trade is one of the worst in franchise history.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Some questions about Doug Favell. Was Favell ever considered better than Parent when they were the goaltending tandem during the expansion years? Had Toronto accepted a prospect as future considerations instead of Favell, would Favell had made a difference in the 1976 SCF with Bernie out? Greenberg wrote that Favell was streaky and maybe Favell could have stolen some games if he was hot. Nothing against the good job Wayne Stephenson did in Parent’s absence, but I don’t see Keith Allen acquiring Stephenson if Favell was still around.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Some questions about Doug Favell. Was Favell ever considered better than Parent when they were the goaltending tandem during the expansion years? Had Toronto accepted a prospect as future considerations instead of Favell, would Favell had made a difference in the 1976 SCF with Bernie out? Greenberg wrote that Favell was streaky and maybe Favell could have stolen some games if he was hot. Nothing against the good job Wayne Stephenson did in Parent’s absence, but I don’t see Keith Allen acquiring Stephenson if Favell was still around.
I think, from everything I read, the Flyers liked Parents consistency a bit more than they liked Favell. Favell could absolutely steal games though when he was hot, so who knows what could have happened in 76. However the chance of Favell staying hot for 3 rounds would have been a big long shot so who knows if the Flyers even get to the finals in 76 with Favvy.

Toronto was pretty insistent on Favell being part of the deal for Bernie’s rights in 73 as they were pretty thin in goal at that point.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Flyers didn't lose in 1976 due to Wayne Stephenson. He wasn't Bernie Parent but no one else was either. As we are apt to say, a healthy Parent and Rick MacLeish and the 1976 result isn't a sweep. It is anyone's guess at that point. But the removal of Ken Dryden and a similar Montreal center to MacLeish and the Canadiens likely don't even make it to the Finals.

Parent's career changed when he was in Toronto. He was a self-described "OK goalie" in Philadelphia. At times, Favell was the #1 of the 1-1A tandem. But when Parent hooked up with idol Jacques Plante with the Leafs, his personality adapted and his play strengthened. Remember, Boston separated from Parent because he was considered out-of-shape, pudgy. Plante taught Parent techniques of goaltending. Parent stated in so many words that no other mentor could have penetrated him. Then came the move to the WHA and after a contract dispute, he returned to the NHL but though under contract to the Leafs wanted to return to Philadelphia. He did. The Leafs had a couple of months to decide on one of two proposals (I don't know the specifics of the two), by this time the Flyers had acquired Parent's rights and he had rejoined the team. The Leafs opted for the one with Favell.

Favell had his moments. His play for the Colorado Rockies in the 1978 opening series against the Flyers was exceptional and nearly produced one of the biggest upsets in the best-of-three series. The Flyers held an 89-35 shots advantage in two close games (one went to OT). But would Favell have given the Flyers a better chance to win in 1976 than Stephenson? Not likely, not without MacLeish.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
And here we go, my top 10 favorite Flyers quotes of all time!

10. “His chin ran into my elbow and down he went” - Ed Van Impe referring to his hit on Valeri Kharlamov in the 76 game vs the Soviets

9. “Suck it, Phaneuf!” - a Scott Hartnell classic

8. “Arrive at the net with the puck and in ill humor” - Fred Shero
You could do a top 10 list of just Freddie’s best quotes!

7. “You want to beat any club to show that you’re superior; you want to beat the Rangers just to shut them up”
-Jay Snider

6. “They always try to play with our minds. But that won’t work with our club.,We’ve got 20 guys without brains” - Bobby Clarke

5. “Some fun, eh?” - Bernie Parent to Joe Watson after a nerve wracking sequence in the Flyers zone during the 74 finals.

4. “Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire” Another Shero classic

3. “Just get one” - Peter Laviolette during his 1st period TO while trailing Boston 3-0 in game 7 in the 2010 playoffs

2. “We score 10 goal, we beat up dere chickenshit forward and now da Moose drink beer” - Andre “Moose” Dupont after a violent 1973 blowout win over Vancouver

And at #1.....

1. “Win together today!!! and we walk together forever” - Fred Shero’s classic quote written on the locker room blackboard prior to game 6 of the 74 Stanley Cup final.

And there you have it. As always please share your comments and your favorite Flyer quotes!

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And here we go, my top 10 favorite Flyers quotes of all time!

10. “His chin ran into my elbow and down he went” - Ed Van Impe referring to his hit on Valeri Kharlamov in the 76 game vs the Soviets

9. “Suck it, Phaneuf!” - a Scott Hartnell classic

8. “Arrive at the net with the puck and in ill humor” - Fred Shero
You could do a top 10 list of just Freddie’s best quotes!

7. “You want to beat any club to show that you’re superior; you want to beat the Rangers just to shut them up”
-Jay Snider

6. “They always try to play with our minds. But that won’t work with our club.,We’ve got 20 guys without brains” - Bobby Clarke

5. “Some fun, eh?” - Bernie Parent to Joe Watson after a nerve wracking sequence in the Flyers zone during the 74 finals.

4. “Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire” Another Shero classic

3. “Just get one” - Peter Laviolette during his 1st period TO while trailing Boston 3-0 in game 7 in the 2010 playoffs

2. “We score 10 goal, we beat up dere chickenshit forward and now da Moose drink beer” - Andre “Moose” Dupont after a violent 1973 blowout win over Vancouver

And at #1.....

1. “Win together today!!! and we walk together forever” - Fred Shero’s classic quote written on the locker room blackboard prior to game 6 of the 74 Stanley Cup final.

And there you have it. As always please share your comments and your favorite Flyer quotes!

We take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor. - Bobby clarke. Should be number 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad