Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Top 10 Flyers who were traded away and never reacquired, but should have been:

1. Mike Ricci
2. Peter Zezel
3. Justin Williams
4. Scott Mellanby

Safe to say these are four of the worst days in my ~45 years as a Flyers fan. I was less emotional with Williams, but passionately hated it - the other three made me completely and utterly miserable.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Ricci and Zezel were quintessential heart-and-soul Flyers. If you made an amalgamation of the top Flyers No. 2 centers, they'd look like them.

Still, hard to believe you weren't excited about the acquisition of Lindros. I was pretty excited about getting Bullard, devastated about losing Zezel. But Bullard was a chump.

Mellanby, I was prepared well in advance for him to get traded, it just seemed he was never going to live up to expectations here.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Prospal was reacquired for the stretch run in 2008. Shouldn’t have been traded in the first place.

Considering Clarke reacquired numerous ex-Flyers in the 90’s, I think it’s safe to assume Clarke attempted to get Mellanby back.
if i remember correctly, mellanby was not happy here and that was the reason he got traded. or it may have been murry craven. not sure, but think it was mellanby.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ricci and Zezel were quintessential heart-and-soul Flyers. If you made an amalgamation of the top Flyers No. 2 centers, they'd look like them.

Still, hard to believe you weren't excited about the acquisition of Lindros. I was pretty excited about getting Bullard, devastated about losing Zezel. But Bullard was a chump.

Mellanby, I was prepared well in advance for him to get traded, it just seemed he was never going to live up to expectations here.

I mean, I was excited about Lindros in the sense that we were getting the next big thing, but Ricci meant the world to me, so it was brutal. It also felt like we were taking a shortcut, when all I wanted was for us to build through the draft and have another 1987 homegrown team. I'm not saying that's sensible, it was just the way I felt. I was proud when Lindros destroyed somebody, but I never warmed to him.

Mellanby, I can't even with that one. Him wanting to go or not, I just couldn't stand the idea of him not being a Flyer for life. I'm still not over that one, and never will be. Zezel is very possibly my favorite ever, so there's no excuse for that ****ing stupidity.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Top 10 Flyers who were traded away and never reacquired, but should have been:

1. Mike Ricci
2. Peter Zezel
3. Justin Williams
4. Scott Mellanby
5. Gord Murphy
6. Vinny Prospal
7. Al MacAdam
8. Ron Sutter
9. Rod Brind'Amour
10. Shayne Gostisbehere
chris simon
Zubrus
kurri
mel bridgemen
ben wilson
brian benning
sharp
langkow
francis lessard
podein

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
if i remember correctly, mellanby was not happy here and that was the reason he got traded. or it may have been murry craven. not sure, but think it was mellanby.

Craven was unhappy. Upset that he wasn't offered a multi-year deal and raise like Pelle Eklund signed before the 1991-92 season, Craven asked to be traded. From Full Spectrum, which just arrived today.

Holmgren felt the time had come for a talk with an unproductive Craven. The veteran winger, campaigning publicly for a trade, left his meeting with the coach before the November 5 game in St. Louis thinking the air had been cleared. On the contrary, Holmgren felt Craven's attitude was polluting the Flyers' fresh start. Scratched from the lineup, Craven returned to the hotel before the end of Philadelphia's 4-3 victory.

"I think I'm saying not just to Murray Craven but to everybody else, 'You play to the standards the coaches set," said Holmgren. "He admits he sulks when he's not on the power play. He's not mentally prepared to help the Flyers at this time."

"They usually want everybody to toe the line here," Craven said. "When you don't do it exactly how they want it, you're dealt with the way I've been dealt with. I saw it with Brad McCrimmon and Brian Propp and Dave Poulin and Ron Sutter. I see no light at the end of the tunnel. The only light I see is a move."

As for Mellanby, Jay Greenberg just wrote, "Mellanby recognized it was best he move on." Sounds to me like Holmgren and Farwell didn't like Mellanby for whatever reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I mean, I was excited about Lindros in the sense that we were getting the next big thing, but Ricci meant the world to me, so it was brutal. It also felt like we were taking a shortcut, when all I wanted was for us to build through the draft and have another 1987 homegrown team. I'm not saying that's sensible, it was just the way I felt. I was proud when Lindros destroyed somebody, but I never warmed to him.

Mellanby, I can't even with that one. Him wanting to go or not, I just couldn't stand the idea of him not being a Flyer for life. I'm still not over that one, and never will be. Zezel is very possibly my favorite ever, so there's no excuse for that ****ing stupidity.

It was still feasible in the early 90's to build through the draft and to make a few good trades. Would you have trusted Russ Farwell to oversee it?

I think being traded from the Flyers adversely affected Zezel's career. He loved being a Flyer and was never the same player after he left..

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It was still feasible in the early 90's to build through the draft and to make a few good trades. Would you have trusted Russ Farwell to oversee it?

I think being traded from the Flyers adversely affected Zezel's career. He loved being a Flyer and was never the same player after he left..

Of course not - that's why I said it's not that it was sensible. It was just an emotional reaction to change that I didn't like. I also didn't like the fact that from that point until around 2015 we were left chasing our tails in the same manner. It kept us competitive and gave us chances, but I would have liked us, at some point, to build through the draft. And when we finally decided to do that, we did it halfway. I wasn't so prescient to realize it and rail against it at the time - I was happy to be patient with Hexy. But he turned against inflammatory foods, and we handed over the keys to a dunce. But really, it seems like the death of Snider left us in a Dave Scott-shaped lurch, and that's the biggest problem now.

I'm rambling and half asleep, but those are my thoughts.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Of course not - that's why I said it's not that it was sensible. It was just an emotional reaction to change that I didn't like. I also didn't like the fact that from that point until around 2015 we were left chasing our tails in the same manner. It kept us competitive and gave us chances, but I would have liked us, at some point, to build through the draft. And when we finally decided to do that, we did it halfway. I wasn't so prescient to realize it and rail against it at the time - I was happy to be patient with Hexy. But he turned against inflammatory foods, and we handed over the keys to a dunce. But really, it seems like the death of Snider left us in a Dave Scott-shaped lurch, and that's the biggest problem now.

I'm rambling and half asleep, but those are my thoughts.

It would have been interesting to see what Farwell might have done if the Lindros deal wasnt made. He was after all, smart enough to draft Forsberg and he turned an aging Ron Sutter into Brind’amour. Having Forsberg, Brind’amour and Ricci up the middle to build upon would be a pretty good start for any team. He also drafted both Renberg and Therrien so maybe building via the draft with Farwell might have worked out.

re Hextall: His utter refusal to part ways with Haknob was what soured me on him. Hell, that tool should never have been hired in the first place. Hiring Fletcher though, ugh. He’s the poster boy for vanilla mediocrity. I have zero confidence that Chuckles can build a Cup contender.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
It would have been interesting to see what Farwell might have done if the Lindros deal wasnt made. He was after all, smart enough to draft Forsberg and he turned an aging Ron Sutter into Brind’amour. Having Forsberg, Brind’amour and Ricci up the middle to build upon would be a pretty good start for any team. He also drafted both Renberg and Therrien so maybe building via the draft with Farwell might have worked out.

re Hextall: His utter refusal to part ways with Haknob was what soured me on him. Hell, that tool should never have been hired in the first place. Hiring Fletcher though, ugh. He’s the poster boy for vanilla mediocrity. I have zero confidence that Chuckles can build a Cup contender.
farwell gets a bad rap. team success didnt come to him thugh is moves were good most of the time.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
As per MSE's fine suggestion, here is a look at the best Flyers who had 2 (or in the case of one guy), more stints with the Flyers. I came up with 14 guys, and yeah, I'm probably missing a player or 2, and I grouped them into 3 categories: guys who were clearly better the first time around, guys who were clearly better the 2nd time around and guys who were pretty good each time they wore the orange and black. The first category had the most players, and the 2nd category the fewest.

So, lets start with the guys who were better the first time in Philly:
Rick Macleish
712 of the Hawk's 741 games and 775 of 797 points all came in his first stint. Plus all his great work in the playoffs were during the first time around as well. Enough said

Simon Gagne
Gagne was ok during his last, short stint with the team, but he was far from the player he was the first time around.

Mikael Renberg
Renberg was utterly dominant during much of his first stint with team until suffering a serious core injury in 96. After that, he was never the same.

RJ Umberger
Umberger was a solid middle six forward the first time he was in Philly. The less said about his 2nd stint, the better.

Chris Therien
Bundy was a top pairing guy during much of his first run with the Flyers. He was a fading journeyman during his short second.

Brian Boucher
Boosh wasn't really bad during his second run in Philly and no one will ever forget the shootout vs the Rags in 2010. However his best season was his first when he finished in the top 10 for both the Calder and Vezina trophies and had a fantastic run during the 2000 playoffs.

Ray Emery
Razor was a top notch starter for the Flyers until getting injured during his first run with the team. During his 2nd, he was a so-so backup that had been robbed of his mobility by injuries. RIP Ray.

Karl Dykhuis
Dykhuis was often prone to mistakes, but all in all, he was solid during his first stint in Philly and he played perhaps the best hockey of his career during the 95 playoffs. He was no more than a 6/7 guy the 2nd time around.

And, next, the one guy who was clearly better the 2nd time around

Bernie Parent
Bernie was good the first time he was in Philly. On a team that badly struggled to score, he gave them a chance to win most nights and was already considered one of the better goalies in the NHL when he was traded to Toronto in 1971. During his 2nd stint, especially the first 2 seasons, he was simply the best goalie in the NHL. 2 Vezinas , 2 Smythes and 2 Cups pretty much says it all and he really should have won the Hart Trophy in 74 as well.

Finally, guys who were solid if not very good contributors, both times around.

Kjell Samuelsson
Sammy, after a short adjustment period, stepped up and played very well for the Flyers during his first stint in Philly. From 1988 until his trade to Pittsburgh in 92, he played with Mark Howe on the Flyers top pair. While he might not have been quite as good the 2nd time around, he was still a solid top 4 guy and he formed a very effective pairing with Chris Therien during the 95-96 season. He was also a mainstay on the PK both times around.

Mark Recchi
Recchi was pure offensive machine during his first run in the orange and black, amassing 105 goals and 262 points in only 200 games. During his 2nd stint, he "only" scored 127 goals and 365 points in 402 games, but he was a better all around player and a team leader during his later days with the club.

Rick Tocchet
Tocchet almost made the first list as his numbers are much better during his first time in Philly. However, he was a mature team leader the 2nd time he was here and he was an instrumental part of the 2000 team's deep playoff run when he scored 5 goals and 11 points in 18 games. He also still scored 44 points in 90 regular seasons games while playing mainly on the 3rd line and getting limited pp time.

Craig Berube
The Chief was pretty much the same player during both his stints with the team. A hard working, tough as nails 4th liner who was responsible defensively and worked his tail off. He was perhaps a bit better offensively the first time around, but OTOH, he was more of a team leader and heart and soul guy the 2nd.

Dave Brown
Looking at pure on ice performance, Brownie was clearly better the first time around, at least offensively. When it came to fisticuffs, he was downright scary both times! During his 2nd stint however, he was a more mature player and team leader, who took fewer bad penalties and was a good mentor to a young kid named Eric Lindros.

And there you have it. As always, let me know what ya thing and please feel free to share any lists of your own!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
And now, the top 10 nicknames, well at least my 10 favorite, in Flyers history! The majority come from the Bullies era which isn't surprising as the game was just more colorful then.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Bob "The Count" Dailey
Dailey's nickname in Vancouver was Moose, but as you will see later, there can only be one Moose when it comes to the Flyers. The name came about when Dailey had his sportcoat draped over his shoulder and a teammate thought he looked just like the Count from Sesame Street

Jerome "Moses" Mrazek
Moses wasn't with the Flyers long, but it's still a cool nickname

Barry "Ashcan" Ashbee
Great nickname, great player. Rest in peace, Ashcan.

Eric "Big E" Lindros
Pretty much says it all.

10. Rick "Hawk" Macleish
The name was in reference to Rick's hawklike nose, yeah hockey players are children. He was also known by his teammates as "Cutie"

9. Pelle "Gump" Lindbergh
I believe this name was bestowed on him by Flyers trainer, Sudsy (also a pretty cool nickname) Settlemeyer. Sudsy thought that Lindbergh, with his build and mask, looked just like old time goalie, Gump Worsely.

8. Bill "Arnie" Barber
Barber was a great player, but not the most attractive man. Arnie was short for Arnold the Pig from the old tv show, Green Acres.

7. Don "Big Bird" Saleski
With his huge curly fro, long neck and 6'3 height, teammates felt Saleski was the spitting image of Sesame Streets Big Bird. Did I mention that hockey players are like children?

6. Larry "The Rock" Zeidel
One of the most colorful and hard nosed players from the teams earliest era, "The Rock" was an appropriate name for the hard nosed Zeidel. You owe his family some royalties, Duane Johnson!

5. Ken "The Rat" Linseman
Perhaps the most accurate nickname in Flyers history. The man lived his gimmick as he was a nasty, dirty little bastard on the ice who should thank God every day that Paul Holmgren was his linemate.

4. Bob "Hound Dog" Kelly
Sometimes shortened to just "The Hound", it was a good fit for this ball of energy. On a team full of colorful players, the Hound stood out. No one should ever forget him telling PA governor Milton Schapp to get the f*** out of his seat in the locker room following the Flyers 2nd Cup win. Kelly is an all time character in the history of the Flyers.

3. Joe "Thundermouth" Watson
Joe was the loudest player on the Broad Street Bullies. Players used to joke that Joe talked so loud on the ice, that they could hear him in his hometown of Smithers, British Columbia!

2. Dave "The Hammer" Schultz
Another nickname that fit like a glove, Schultz earned his nickname by fighting pretty much everyone he could get his hands on. If Bobby Clarke and Bernie Parent were the heart and soul of the Broad Street Bullies, Schultz was it's spine.

1. Andre "Moose" Dupont
The Moose is number one on my list and he just may be the most colorful player in the history of the franchise which is saying a lot. He also has the best quote in team history per Gene Hart. After a particularly violent win over the Vancouver Canucks, the Moose was asked for his thoughts about the game. He said, 'We score 10 goal, we beat up dere chickenshit forwards, and now da Moose drink beer" It just doesn't get any better than that kids!

And there it is, my 10 fave nicknames in Flyers history. Please feel free to comment and/or list your own.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I blame the Philly media for not bestowing cool nicknames on people like Dave Brown, Tocchet, Hextall, Howe.
We used to call Tocchet Blockhead and Hextall Psycho, but by we I mean me, my friends and a few other season ticket holders in sections J and K.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
And now, the top 10 nicknames, well at least my 10 favorite, in Flyers history! The majority come from the Bullies era which isn't surprising as the game was just more colorful then.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Bob "The Count" Dailey
Dailey's nickname in Vancouver was Moose, but as you will see later, there can only be one Moose when it comes to the Flyers. The name came about when Dailey had his sportcoat draped over his shoulder and a teammate thought he looked just like the Count from Sesame Street

Jerome "Moses" Mrazek
Moses wasn't with the Flyers long, but it's still a cool nickname

Barry "Ashcan" Ashbee
Great nickname, great player. Rest in peace, Ashcan.

Eric "Big E" Lindros
Pretty much says it all.

10. Rick "Hawk" Macleish
The name was in reference to Rick's hawklike nose, yeah hockey players are children. He was also known by his teammates as "Cutie"

9. Pelle "Gump" Lindbergh
I believe this name was bestowed on him by Flyers trainer, Sudsy (also a pretty cool nickname) Settlemeyer. Sudsy thought that Lindbergh, with his build and mask, looked just like old time goalie, Gump Worsely.

8. Bill "Arnie" Barber
Barber was a great player, but not the most attractive man. Arnie was short for Arnold the Pig from the old tv show, Green Acres.

7. Don "Big Bird" Saleski
With his huge curly fro, long neck and 6'3 height, teammates felt Saleski was the spitting image of Sesame Streets Big Bird. Did I mention that hockey players are like children?

6. Larry "The Rock" Zeidel
One of the most colorful and hard nosed players from the teams earliest era, "The Rock" was an appropriate name for the hard nosed Zeidel. You owe his family some royalties, Duane Johnson!

5. Ken "The Rat" Linseman
Perhaps the most accurate nickname in Flyers history. The man lived his gimmick as he was a nasty, dirty little bastard on the ice who should thank God every day that Paul Holmgren was his linemate.

4. Bob "Hound Dog" Kelly
Sometimes shortened to just "The Hound", it was a good fit for this ball of energy. On a team full of colorful players, the Hound stood out. No one should ever forget him telling PA governor Milton Schapp to get the **** out of his seat in the locker room following the Flyers 2nd Cup win. Kelly is an all time character in the history of the Flyers.

3. Joe "Thundermouth" Watson
Joe was the loudest player on the Broad Street Bullies. Players used to joke that Joe talked so loud on the ice, that they could hear him in his hometown of Smithers, British Columbia!

2. Dave "The Hammer" Schultz
Another nickname that fit like a glove, Schultz earned his nickname by fighting pretty much everyone he could get his hands on. If Bobby Clarke and Bernie Parent were the heart and soul of the Broad Street Bullies, Schultz was it's spine.

1. Andre "Moose" Dupont
The Moose is number one on my list and he just may be the most colorful player in the history of the franchise which is saying a lot. He also has the best quote in team history per Gene Hart. After a particularly violent win over the Vancouver Canucks, the Moose was asked for his thoughts about the game. He said, 'We score 10 goal, we beat up dere chicken**** forwards, and now da Moose drink beer" It just doesn't get any better than that kids!

And there it is, my 10 fave nicknames in Flyers history. Please feel free to comment and/or list your own.

Good job.

Among others to consider:
Don "Smokey" McLeod
Reggie "The Rifle" Leach
Chris "Bundy" Therien
Freddy "The Fog" Shero
Ed "Boxcar" Hospodar​

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL