Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Re: 1. Ross Lonsberry, game 2 vs NYR, 1974 Semifinals
Interesting choice. As time advances, the importance of the 1974 Series against the Rangers probably gets lost in the generations. The O6 vs. Next 6 was akin to the big brother-little brother, student-teacher or whatever other comparison. It is why the Game 7 win vs. NYR should always rank high on lists of important victories and I have no problem escalating it above the win vs. the Soviets even though many think otherwise due to the significance for the League. Sure, but the Game 7 win in 1974 was important to the Flyers. And the Flyers come first.

I never forgot this quote from Brad Park after Game 7. From Full Spectrum:

"After the fifth game, I was so fed up with the bleep they (the Flyers) were pulling, I wanted to give it right back", he told the media. "But I decided that if I had to maim somebody to win the Stanley Cup, then it wasn't worth it. I look around this locker room and I'm prouder to lose with these guys (the Rangers) than I would be winning with another club."

Park's quote tells me all I need to know on why he never won a Cup in his career. As for the Soviet game, Clarence Campbell and the NHL hated the fact that the Flyers were the only team to beat them. Fred Shero never gets credit for devising a blueprint on how to beat the Soviets by playing the trap that limited the Soviets shots and playing them physical.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE Congratulations on your new book! Thank you for your tremendous contributions in this thread. With the ways things have gone south for the Flyers over the last eight years, it's fun to read about this franchise's great history.

I don't know if you've done this, but how about a top 10 list of Flyer announcers and color commentators?
Thanks buddy!!

That’s a good list idea and one not in the book. Look for it here in the near future.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
You know something, I have a huge problem with this organization concerning the period from ~2013-Present. We have all these players breaking team records, and while it's not their fault, the Flyers haven't done jack shit in all that time. They haven't BEEN jack shit in all that time. Again, this is a management issue 100%, and a rebuild was more than necessary. They've botched it. For me personally, it affects the way I feel about players like Giroux and Jake - when I get to BiggE's opinions about them I just kind of shrug my shoulders - they've been here, they've fought and been excellent ... but we just aren't the Flyers I know, and haven't been for ages.

I come here not to whine - there's plenty of space for that in every other thread. It just makes me realize how much the Flyers from days of yore who ran the gauntlet of serious playoff runs and serious opposition mean to me and to us. While I couldn't care less where the current players are ranked, I will go to the mat for anybody from 1987 (except Kerry Huffman). The present iteration of this team needs to sit down, stop f***ing yapping and spouting dopey platitudes like "BE A F***ING FLYER!" and actually BE f***ing Flyers. That, or get the f*** out. You all know how I feel and which way I think it should go.

tl;dr - know your history.

The 1987 team was the most unselfish club I have followed in any sport. Every player understood their role, from the stars like Howe and Propp to the grinders like Lindsey Carson and Derrick Smith. Whatever personal achievements were put to the side for the sake of winning. Never any talk back then about being a Flyer, they went out and played like Flyers every game. Heart, passion, relentless effort, hatred of losing, and never quitting no matter the obstacles were once hallmarks of being a Flyer. Those intangibles have been lacking since 2013, with very few players on the 2021 Flyers possessing them.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The 1987 team was the most unselfish club I have followed in any sport. Every player understood their role, from the stars like Howe and Propp to the grinders like Lindsey Carson and Derrick Smith. Whatever personal achievements were put to the side for the sake of winning. Never any talk back then about being a Flyer, they went out and played like Flyers every game. Heart, passion, relentless effort, hatred of losing, and never quitting no matter the obstacles were once hallmarks of being a Flyer. Those intangibles have been lacking since 2013, with very few players on the 2021 Flyers possessing them.

Bingo x Infinity.

Reactions: BiggE

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

I just read where Miroslav Frycer passed away at the age of 61. One memorable Flyers' goal of the late 1980s was by Murray Craven in Detroit with 13 seconds to play. Steve Yzerman tied the game with two late goals. Impending doom but Craven's goal came on a breakaway and about a second or two later Frycer slashed Craven in the eye which caused internal bleeding and was cause for concern around that time. IIRC, Craven was hospitalized twice. Craven was ever the gentleman saying he wanted to believe there was no attempt to injure despite a penalty that stated "intent to injure" and an eventual 10 game suspension (large at that time) to the Red Wings' player.

Miroslav Frycer’s wild life included a defection and seven seasons in Toronto | The Star

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

I just read where Miroslav Frycer passed away at the age of 61. One memorable Flyers' goal of the late 1980s was by Murray Craven in Detroit with 13 seconds to play. Steve Yzerman tied the game with two late goals. Impending doom but Craven's goal came on a breakaway and about a second or two later Frycer slashed Craven in the eye which caused internal bleeding and was cause for concern around that time. IIRC, Craven was hospitalized twice. Craven was ever the gentleman saying he wanted to believe there was no attempt to injure despite a penalty that stated "intent to injure" and an eventual 10 game suspension (large at that time) to the Red Wings' player.

Miroslav Frycer’s wild life included a defection and seven seasons in Toronto | The Star
I remember that game well. One of the scariest stick incidents I ever saw.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Maybe Lou Nolan and even Joe Kadlec will get their due. It still boggles the mind why it took so long for Jimmy Watson to make the Hall of Fame. That was an oversight almost as bad as Fred Shero not making the Hockey Hall of Fame for an inordinate amount of time.

It won't sell tickets but behind-the-scenes employees and someone as legendary as Nolan should be forever appreciated.

Brad McCrimmon?
Kimmo Timonen?
Mike Keenan?

Flyers plan to add to team’s Hall of Fame for first time in five years

For the first time since Jimmy Watson was inducted five years ago, the Flyers will welcome a new member into the Flyers Hall of Fame.

The organization announced Monday that it will start trying to identify an inductee for the 2021-22 season, and it will be using a new selection process to do so.

A nomination committee and a voting committee will work together to determine the finalist. In an effort to gain a variety of perspectives, the members of each committee will include current members of the Flyers Hall of Fame, former Flyers, the Flyers’ front office, broadcasters, and members of the Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association.

The induction class will not be limited to one person. Instead, the number will be determined by the finalist votes. Once the inductee, or inductees, are selected, the Flyers will choose a home game for an induction ceremony.​

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Maybe Lou Nolan and even Joe Kadlec will get their due. It still boggles the mind why it took so long for Jimmy Watson to make the Hall of Fame. That was an oversight almost as bad as Fred Shero not making the Hockey Hall of Fame for an inordinate amount of time.

It won't sell tickets but behind-the-scenes employees and someone as legendary as Nolan should be forever appreciated.

Brad McCrimmon?
Kimmo Timonen?
Mike Keenan?

Flyers plan to add to team’s Hall of Fame for first time in five years

For the first time since Jimmy Watson was inducted five years ago, the Flyers will welcome a new member into the Flyers Hall of Fame.

The organization announced Monday that it will start trying to identify an inductee for the 2021-22 season, and it will be using a new selection process to do so.

A nomination committee and a voting committee will work together to determine the finalist. In an effort to gain a variety of perspectives, the members of each committee will include current members of the Flyers Hall of Fame, former Flyers, the Flyers’ front office, broadcasters, and members of the Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association.

The induction class will not be limited to one person. Instead, the number will be determined by the finalist votes. Once the inductee, or inductees, are selected, the Flyers will choose a home game for an induction ceremony.​
Nolan and Kadlec are long overdue. Keenan and McCrimmon deserve it as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->