Sportsnet Top 100 NHL Players of 2018–19 - 6 Bruins make the list

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NHL-100-by-team.jpg

Welcome to Sportsnet’s top 100 NHL players of the 2018–19 season.

We didn’t arrive at this list overnight. In fact, we started work as soon as Alex Ovechkin and Co. lifted the Stanley Cup in June. First, we asked 16 of our NHL insiders to rank the top 100 players in the league at this exact moment, and then we combined their individual lists to create a definitive master ranking.

The exact formula for what makes an NHLer great — or, more importantly, greater than another — is subjective, and everyone’s top-100 list looks different. But let’s make one key criteria clear: This list is about the 2018–19 season — not last season or the next five years. It’s about who’s the best right now.

Top 100 NHL Players of 2018–19: The Full List - Sportsnet.ca

96. Charlie McAvoy, D, Boston Bruins

92. Zdeno Chara, D, Boston Bruins

80. Tuukka Rask, G, Boston Bruins

36. David Pastrnak, RW, Boston Bruins

18. Patrice Bergeron, C, Boston Bruins

17. Brad Marchand, LW, Boston Bruins

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Everyone's list will obviously be different but Mathews ahead of Bergeron and Marchand? I just don't see it. He's not nearly the all-around player those two are. Its not even close as of today.

Tavares as well. He was invisible against the Bruins when he had to go up against Bergeron. Real good player but Bergy and Marchand are much much more complete players.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I think Bergeron's probably a bit too low and Marchand's definitely too low.

Marchand missed 14 games and still finished 13th in scoring. He tied with Kucherov for 4th in points per game. The season prior he finished 6th in scoring (and points per game). He can go toe to toe offensively with almost anybody in the game and he's one of the best defensive wingers around.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
These lists are always tough to put together. Usually after the first 25-50, it starts to get really difficult to differentiate players. Therefore, I just like to look at the top 25 to see if it makes sense. I'd say two names popped out to me. MacKinnon at #5 and Scheifele at #13.

MacKinnon is a great player and had an MVP-type season last year, but if the point of the list is projecting 2018-19, I think that's a bit high for a player who had a career high by 34 points last year. Let's see him consistently be a PPG player before we put him in the top 5.

Scheifele is another guy who seems high. He's always seemed a bit overrated to me, but I don't get a chance to watch him much, so maybe I'm just missing it. Could just be the he doesn't play as well against the Bruins, so I have a more negative few of him.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
People are always going to have issues with lists like these (myself included), but on what planet is William Karlsson a better player than guys like Monahan, Couture, Draisaitl, etc.

He had one good season I would be surprised to see him repeat. If he does it again, sure put him in there, but not over guys that do it year in and year out.

Reactions: Estlin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As someone who grew up during their hay-day in the mid-90s early 2000s, when every time a star player was rumored to be available it seemed he was headed to the Red Wings, it seems unfathomable to me that here in 2018 the Red Wings are in the shape they are in.
They had a great draft and are deep

All three of these positions
Goal
Defense
Forward

The Wings top prospect at the position is named Filip

To me the Red Wings in picks
6 Zadina
30 Veleno
33 Berggren
36 McIssac

Nailed 4 first rounders

2017 was real good

Detroit will be back before you know it

The Grand Rapids AHL team will have atleast 3 future nhl D on it including Filip Hronek & Dennis Cholowski

Cry not for Detroit

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
People are always going to have issues with lists like these (myself included), but on what planet is William Karlsson a better player than guys like Monahan, Couture, Draisaitl, etc.

He had one good season I would be surprised to see him repeat. If he does it again, sure put him in there, but not over guys that do it year in and year out.

I mean how much do you want to hold his short prior career to Vegas against him. He had 43 goals and is only 49th. None of those guys will ever sniff a total like that. He'll probably be off this list if he doesn't hit 40. This list isn't for their careers.

Hard to believe a GM who traded #11 and #24 for scrubs nowhere near this list still has a job, lol.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I mean how much do you want to hold his short prior career to Vegas against him. He had 43 goals and is only 49th. None of those guys will ever sniff a total like that. He'll probably be off this list if he doesn't hit 40. This list isn't for their careers.

Hard to believe a GM who traded #11 and #24 for scrubs nowhere near this list still has a job, lol.

I have zero to hold against Karlsson. I like him as a player, but I don't think he's a Top 50 player in the NHL based on one season.

He played 162 games for Columbus the previous two seasons and he had 15 goals and 45 pts on 204 shots (7.3% shooting percentage) averaging about 14 min per game (with very little PP time).

Last year, he played 82 games for Vegas and scored 43 goals and 78 pts on 184 shots (23.4% shooting percentage) averaging almost 19 min per game (2:24 of this was on the PP).

He was tied with Alexander Kerfoot of COL, who also shot 23.4%. The highest shooting % in the league for players with more than 25 games played. Karlsson experienced a more than 16% jump in his shooting % and I just don't think that number is sustainable. If he shot 13.6% last year, which is pretty good, he would have scored 25 goals.

I think going forward, he will be closer to 25 goals than 43 every year.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

Goal
Defense
Forward

6 Zadina
30 Veleno
33 Berggren
36 McIssac

Nailed 4 first rounders

2017 was real good

The Grand Rapids AHL team will have atleast 3 future nhl D on it including Filip Hronek & Dennis Cholowski

Cry not for Detroit

Veleno blows chunks they nailed Zadina.

They also drafted

Goal
Defense
Forward

6 Zadina
30 Veleno
33 Berggren
36 McIssac

Nailed 4 first rounders

2017 was real good

Cry not for Detroit

Veleno blows ...

They picked Rasmussen in the top 10 last year ?!?

They have Joe Hicketts ranked in their top 10 for prospects ?!?

I’ll admit I don’t know a lot about the other guys but those 3 alone is you’re ranking and depending on them will keep you in Edmonton range for futility.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Veleno blows chunks they nailed Zadina.

They also drafted

Veleno blows ...

They picked Rasmussen in the top 10 last year ?!?

They have Joe Hicketts ranked in their top 10 for prospects ?!?

I’ll admit I don’t know a lot about the other guys but those 3 alone is you’re ranking and depending on them will keep you in Edmonton range for futility.
I don’t have Hicketts in top 15

Veleno that bad?

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I don’t have Hicketts in top 15

Veleno that bad?

Veleno is a Angelo Esposito Patrick O Sullivan John McFarland Tyler Benson etc type of guy ...

He fell because everybody else is passing/catching him. It never works out well for them. Dan Cleary is the only 1 I can think of?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Veleno is a Angelo Esposito Patrick O Sullivan John McFarland Tyler Benson etc type of guy ...

He fell because everybody else is passing/catching him. It never works out well for them. Dan Cleary is the only 1 I can think of?
Yah I heard that but others like him

Will be interesting to see if he plays vs Bruins here in 3 weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad