Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Outside a few games he's off to a tremendous start this year. Missed 3 games recently with some sort of upper body issue (non concussion) but 22 in 17, a +9 and great possession numbers and good faceoff statistics. Only 6 points have come on the PP. Just has to stay healthy the rest of the way but Sid's still got plenty left in the tank.

I do think the bulk of any remaining big positives will come in the postseason. That's where he's going to really move up IMO.
Fair - and that's what separated him from a guy like Beliveau, for instance. I mean, another Ross or Hart wouldn't *hurt*, but I don't think he's got a great chance at that anymore with all of the young talent in the league.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It's a minor factor IMO. He needs more "prime" seasons I think - which for the record I think he still has the gas left in his tank to do.

Well prime is subjective which is why you have it in quotes I guess. What if his next 4 - 5 seasons are similar to this past season? 89 points in 82 games? Not really a factor in the Hart Trophy voting and did not make the 1st or 2nd all star team. Will seasons like that be enough to push him up the list? Will that be viewed as elite? In the end, I guess it won't matter...the people voting here today will not be the same ones voting the top-100 a few years from now. Plus, once a player's career is nearly over or over we will have step back and reflect on his achievements. From that perspective, I feel comfortable saying Sid will have moved up several spots here. He is already better then Morenz at 31.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Fair - and that's what separated him from a guy like Beliveau, for instance. I mean, another Ross or Hart wouldn't *hurt*, but I don't think he's got a great chance at that anymore with all of the young talent in the league.

I think if Sid wanted to go full tilt and win a scoring race he could probably do it still. But watching him play the past few years is very clear he understands the grind and takes his breathers now and then as many greats did when they hit the wrong side of 30. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'd love for him to grab one more Hart and Ross to make up for the pair he lost in his prime but it's probably asking for too much now, especially with guys like McDavid roaming around. Those types of awards are generally a young mans game. But if he were able to get a 4th/5th Cup and add say a 3rd Smythe then you'd have to really start seriously considering him for a spot as high as 5th.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Here's my hope:

Next round will be eligible a Soviet and a pre-NHLer.

*crossed fingers*
Next players on my list are:
a pre-NHLer
two Soviets
a goaltender
that guy that people can't resist comparing to Potvin, even though he hasn't been nominated yet.

[They're all north of Esposito on my list- to say nothing of Mikita...]

A little worried that our Jones for expansion-era Centers will rear up again, though.

Reactions: VanIslander

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
If we're making predictions for the next 5, I'm going:

Hall
Sawchuk
Clarke
Makarov
maybe Fetisov... could see it being a lot of players honestly. The Soviet dman would be the next highest players on my initial list though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think if Sid wanted to go full tilt and win a scoring race he could probably do it still. But watching him play the past few years is very clear he understands the grind and takes his breathers now and then as many greats did when they hit the wrong side of 30. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'd love for him to grab one more Hart and Ross to make up for the pair he lost in his prime but it's probably asking for too much now, especially with guys like McDavid roaming around. Those types of awards are generally a young mans game. But if he were able to get a 4th/5th Cup and add say a 3rd Smythe then you'd have to really start seriously considering him for a spot as high as 5th.

If he gets a 3rd Smythe and a 4th or 5th SC as captain with some regular seasons like this year he can break into the top 4.

He will at least have an argument for it with the guy who voted Gretzky 7th in the first round right?

I'm guessing that same person had Jean Beliveau 3rd and Crosby is tracking to have a better career right now.

Reactions: Sentinel

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Not being cryptic: I want Fetisov.
I have him ahead of five players we're currently talking about.
If we're making predictions for the next 5, I'm going:
Hall
Sawchuk
Clarke
Makarov
maybe Fetisov... could see it being a lot of players honestly.
The nomination of Clarke would liberate Stan Mikita from the burden of continually receiving last-place consideration from me.

For the purpose of generating interesting conversation, I'd be fine with- Taylor, Hall, Makarov, Fetisov... and either Robinson or Bill Cook. Bird's probably more worthy- but Cook would generate the better dialog.

The "nightmare scenario" would be something like Clarke, Trottier, Brodeur, Bossy, and Sawchuk. Well, wouldn't be so horrible to talk about those Islanders-- but the other three- at this stage of the project... :woof:.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My 5 best non available players are Brodeur, Makarov, Hall, Clarke and Robinson. In that order.

Off that group, I strongly suspect the middle 3 will make it.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
We're entering a territory where a lot of Centers may start being popular, which- to me-- is a thing quite distinct from "looking good." Taylor? Yeah. Trottier? I guess I could take him, but I'd need a "chaser." Anybody else? Please no.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I absolutely hate when people say things like this.

Why? Just because you think they're close as overall players doesn't mean there still can't be 8-10 guys between them hypothetically. Ton of players in hockey history.
I'm struggling with this between Sid and Ovi at the moment. It "feels" wrong to have a big gap between them on the list, but when I objectively compare Ovechkin to the names available for voting this round, He will fall somewhere in the middle third of the vote, which would put 7 or 8 names between them.

Reactions: VanIslander

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm struggling with this between Sid and Ovi at the moment. It "feels" wrong to have a big gap between them on the list, but when I objectively compare Ovechkin to the names available for voting this round, He will fall somewhere in the middle third of the vote, which would put 7 or 8 names between them.

If anything, a 7-8 names gap between them, AT THIS POINT IN THEIR CAREERS, feels very appropriate. considering they're not the only "close call contemporaries with one being slightly better than the other" in the history of the game.

And very few people feel like Ovechkin should be right besides Jagr, so I don't know why it should've shaped out this way. In fact, the person who expressed the strongest opinion about it is a non-voter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad