Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Again, until the Caps prove last year wasn't an outlier, it is, mathematically speaking. Now, I probably just guaranteed them another Cup (jinx lol) but I said the same thing about Crosby and the Penguins in 2009. 1 isn't enough for a generational player to be crowned on.

Unless it's Bobby Hull playing in a 6 team league, eh?

What a joke.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Unless it's Bobby Hull playing in a 6 team league, eh?

What a joke.

Bobby Hull was superior by every metric you can find. He also went to 4 SCF's.

One would think Ovechkin contributing to 3 crucial game winning goals against your Penguins would have learned you something.

Cool. One series out of 4. Who won the previous 3?

You are really poor at math.
You were just plain wrong. Malkin assists or scores the goal on 30% + of Crosby's points in some seasons. You said there is no way that's true. It was proven to be true, with links.

But you proudly stand behind your wrongness. Good to know.

No. You just think you can pass off points that are largely from the PP, as evidence that Sid plays with Malkin a lot. He doesn't. As if Crosby hasn't repeatedly produced without Malkin (who's missed a shitload of time) or inferior wingers throughout his entire career. Or more at ES with said inferior line mates.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No, he's not.

But more specifically I'm not talking about 8 as a stand alone player. My point is broader and more complex. Players like Ovechkin, as the focal point of a team offensively, drag a team down more than elevate them. You and others seem to think that the blanket statement "more shots are better" is a science. It's not.

This sounds like a strawman to me. Noone is arguing OV as the best goalscorer based on the number of shots he he taken. That he is able to get the most pucks on net while maintaining a solid shooting % should put this to bed. That some of his misses result in lost possession is the price of doing business as a goalscorer. This would be akin to critquing Crosby for the times his passes result in a turnover.

The starting point in this discussion is "more goals are better". You have introduced an element that questions OV's goalscoring abilities if he did not take so many shots on net. This seems to be based on the premise that the Caps randomly choose OV to be the designated goalscorer rather than OV having generational goalscoring skills. This would be akin to saying centres get more assists only because they handle the puck more than wingers.

As for your playoff argument, secondary scoring clearly was the biggest reason for them not advancing. And no, last year is not a statistical anomaly for the Caps or OV until proven otherwise. They get full credit for winning.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

I thought Cup wins is the most important metric? Hull only has one. Aren't they tied?

Claiming that getting to the SCF in a six team league is superior to getting to the 2nd round in a 30 team league has as much relevance as saying winning a 1st round series in a 30 team league is equal to a SCF appearance in the O6.

It is worth noting that the Caps got stopped three times by the eventual Cup winners.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No, he's not.

But more specifically I'm not talking about 8 as a stand alone player. My point is broader and more complex. Players like Ovechkin, as the focal point of a team offensively, drag a team down more than elevate them. You and others seem to think that the blanket statement "more shots are better" is a science. It's not.

Now, to be fair, I don't have a perfect formula for countering that argument but at least I'm willing to compile numbers and investigate.

Thank God the voters didn't give McDavid the Hart last year. I don't care what anyone says. There is no way you can be the most valuable player in the league when the playoffs roll around and you're playing golf. What do you say? Hey, we're the best non playoff team? Without me, we'd have the worst record? But there are many people who just equate scoring the most points being the most valuable. It's rubbish.

Ovechkin has long been overhyped when it comes to value.

Is it any wonder why he has all those goal scoring titles but only 1 Art Ross despite only once missing more than a few games (which were partly missed due to being suspended)? Been at or below a point per game player 4 times in his career. Plays little to no defense for the bulk of his career.

Bobby Hull (4.96) actually had more shots per game than Ovechkin (4.85) but then again, Hull had challengers like Gordie Howe (4.13), Bobby Orr (4.65) and Phil Esposito (4.03) chasing him.

Ovechkin's comp in terms of shot volume are Ilya Kovalchuk (3.58), Rick Nash (3.42), Evgeni Malkin (3.38) and Zach Parise (3.35).

So not only are the gaps much smaller, the level of comp is far greater in the case of Hull.

And as it stands, the Caps have been past the 2nd round once. Once in 13 seasons.

Teams that have done that more than one time since 2006?

2006: Canes, Sabres, Ducks, Oilers,
2007: Sens, Sabres, Ducks, Wings
2008: Pens, Flyers, Wings, Stars
2009: Pens, Canes, Wings, Hawks,
2010: Flyers, Habs, Hawks, Sharks,
2011: Bruins, Lightning, Nucks, Sharks,
2012: Devils, Rangers, Kings, Coyotes,
2013: Bruins, Pens, Hawks, Kings
2014: Rangers, Habs, Kings, Hawks,
2015: Lightning, Rangers, Hawks, Ducks,
2016: Pens, Lightning, Sharks, Blues
2017: Pens, Sens, Preds, Ducks,
2018: Caps, Lightning, Knights, Jets

Pens = 5
Hawks = 5
Lightning = 4
Ducks = 4
Sharks = 3
Wings = 3
Kings = 3
Rangers = 3
Bruins = 2
Habs = 2
Sabres = 2
Sens = 2
Canes = 2
Flyers = 2

14 teams. Nearly half the league.

Again, until the Caps prove last year wasn't an outlier, it is, mathematically speaking. Now, I probably just guaranteed them another Cup (jinx lol) but I said the same thing about Crosby and the Penguins in 2009. 1 isn't enough for a generational player to be crowned on.

Most shots per game since 2006 on a per game basis are OV, Kovy, Evander Kane, Tyler Seguin, Rick Nash, Malkin, MacKinnon, Parise, Hall and Jeff Carter.

Kovy, Kane, Nash, Mackinnon, Parise and Hall have 0 Cups. Seguin got 1 as a rookie in Boston, Malkin has 3, Carter has 2.

Once again - you're so full of shit it's hilarious.

Let's change the dates. 1982-1988. Guess who led the leagues in shots? Gretzky
Guess who led the league in shots per game? Gretzky
Guess who had the most shots in a season 4x in that 7 year stretch? Gretzky

I think that worked out ok for him.

I maintain my stipulation that there's been no Nuclear Bomb since Ovechkin entered the league and that he must be good for world peace.

Just because 2 things happen at the same time - it doesn't mean they're directly linked by cause/effect.

Ovechkin shoots a lot. That's a good thing
Ovechkin scores a lot of goals. That's also a good thing.
Ovechkin only made it past round 2 once. That's a bad thing (everyone knows this btw - you didn't need to go count all the teams that did or didn't make it past round 2 - literally everyone here knows he only did it once).

There's no direct connection between those facts. And if there is now you sure as hell haven't done a good job in establishing it, outside of just mentioning the 2. ie - Ovi for world Peace sounds just as good.

Cool. One series out of 4. Who won the previous 3?

You are really poor at math.

No. You just think you can pass off points that are largely from the PP, as evidence that Sid plays with Malkin a lot. He doesn't. As if Crosby hasn't repeatedly produced without Malkin (who's missed a ****load of time) or inferior wingers throughout his entire career. Or more at ES with said inferior line mates.

You: "you need more than 1 cup to be a generational player"
Him "yeah but Bobby Hull"
You "Oh wait forget what i said. Instead i'll change to "yeah Bobby Hull is better at everything"

You "There's no way Malkin contributes to over 30% of Crosby's goals in a season"
Him "Yeah there is, it's happened"
You "Nope I guarantee it's impossible. Not at all. Nope"
Him "Here's the data and proof. Admit you were wrong?"
You "Let's change the subject yet again...."

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Just because 2 things happen at the same time - it doesn't mean they're directly linked by cause/effect.

Undeniably true.
Ovechkin shoots a lot. That's a good thing
Ovechkin scores a lot of goals. That's also a good thing.
Ovechkin only made it past round 2 once. That's a bad thing

Also true.
There's no direct connection between those facts.

Now that is debatable. I agree with you the label "shoot only" is an exaggeration that is shortchanging Ovechkin. But the notion that a multi-dimensional elite forward, someone with a more balanced set of offensive tools, is harder to stop in the playoffs (where the opponent gets to focus on you and get familiar with you) than a more specialized elite forward, that notion seems far more reasonable than those deliberately absurd examples of pseudo causation you have brought up to make your point about correlation vs causation.

Reactions: bobholly39

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Now that is debatable. I agree with you the label "shoot only" is an exaggeration that is shortchanging Ovechkin. But the notion that a multi-dimensional elite forward, someone with a more balanced set of offensive tools, is harder to stop in the playoffs (where the opponent gets to focus on you and get familiar with you) than a more specialized elite forward, that notion seems far more reasonable than those deliberately absurd examples of pseudo causation you have brought up to make your point about correlation vs causation.

That's fine to say, but it has nothing to do with Alex Ovechkin - who is a very good playmaker, skates well, and is extremely physical.

This notion that Alex Ovechkin is not a balanced player is pure nonsense. You don't win 3 Harts, lead the NHL in PPG 3 times, or get 530 assists by being one dimensional. It cannot be done.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That's fine to say, but it has nothing to do with Alex Ovechkin - who is a very good playmaker, skates well, and is extremely physical.

This notion that Alex Ovechkin is not a balanced player is pure nonsense. You don't win 3 Harts, lead the NHL in PPG 3 times, or get 530 assists by being one dimensional. It cannot be done.

I mean Washington's playoff failures probably has *some* to do with Ovechkin. He is their best player/leader/captain. You can't just blanketly absolve him of all failures.

And I agree with the idea that a more well balanced offense could be argued as more useful than a a more one dimensional type of offense come playoff time (though this is hardly an absolute statement as there are always exceptions - but seems reasonable enough).

I also think Alex Ovechkin for a lot of his career has been much of a one dimensional player. You're still being too defensive about it - why is that such a bad thing? He scores goals, lots of them. He led the league in PPG 3x because at his peak his offense was a lot more well balanced. A lot of the stuff since 2010 points towards a more one-dimensional type of player (not every season, but a lot of them). Again - why are you so defensive about it?

Brett Hull has 650 career assists and is thought of as 1 dimensional. Career assist numbers doesn't mean anything lol

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah, Ovie was a full offensive force in his hay day (05-10).

After that the stats really show it that he has been more one-dimensional player, but who could really expect him to dominate like he did in the 05-10?
10-11 79 35+53=85
11-12 78 38+27=65
12-13 48 32+24=56
13-14 78 51+28=79
14-15 81 53+28=81
15-16 79 50+21=71
16-17 82 33+36=69
17-18 82 49+38=87
18-19 39 30+16=46

One-dimensional or not, I'm just in awe of the stats here, especially the last few seasons where just bounced back after subpar 16-17 season.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I thought Cup wins is the most important metric? Hull only has one. Aren't they tied?

Claiming that getting to the SCF in a six team league is superior to getting to the 2nd round in a 30 team league has as much relevance as saying winning a 1st round series in a 30 team league is equal to a SCF appearance in the O6.

It is worth noting that the Caps got stopped three times by the eventual Cup winners.

Cup counting is worthless.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Very good playmaker who has never once finished top 5 in the league in that category. I don't know if you know what very good means.

Mmmmkay.

Are we going to start asserting that he's an above average defensive player as well?

Or are we going to gloss over how ignoring defensive responsibility makes it easier to score points? Just as it is easier to score goals when you're outshooting everyone in the league by a mile. But of course, that concept is nonsense.

The difference between you and me is I can point to Sid's faults over the years.

Early on he was a whiner (subsided rather quickly though)

Took to many retaliatory penalties early in his career. Think along the lines of a Stan Mikita. Much better these days though.

Had a few subpar playoffs, namely the series against Boston in 2013.

Gets away with a few things most others don't, but then again superstars get this treatment often. In all sports. I remember watching Jordan repeatedly travel and throw people to the ground to get open. No calls.

But with you, which is ironic considerating your incessant complaining about how Sid gets all these passes, it seems to be Ovechkin is the reason for successes any time the Caps do well (which isn't often) and he's blameless when they got continually bounced by inferior teams for more than a decade.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
But getting to the 3rd round is?

For someone who take a lot of time to write out their posts, you seem to be missing the obvious double standards in them.

You're missing the point.

I'm talking about consistency. Team consistency as it relates to teams that have a star player ripping shots with reckless abandon, seemingly always going home before less talented teams.

And then calling out people who make blanket statements such as shots are always a great thing.

Life, sports, and analytics are not black and white sir.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

The numbers show that OV's playoff #'s vs. his peers which includes both multi-dimensional elite forwards and specialized elite forwards (or maybe just one in Kane) put him in the Top 10 as a playoff performer. I don't see a big reason to point to him for the Caps lack of success as clearly other Caps fell far shorter of expectations come playoff time, notably 2nd line and secondary scorers whose one or two goals could have been the difference in a couple of years for the Caps.

His playoff resume is weak vs. other Top 20 - 25 players mainly given his relative lack of deep multiple Cup runs, not because his per game playoff performances were that much weaker.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You're missing the point.

I'm talking about consistency. Team consistency as it relates to teams that have a star player ripping shots with reckless abandon, seemingly always going home before less talented teams.

And then calling out people who make blanket statements such as shots are always a great thing.

Life, sports, and analytics are not black and white sir.

Are still talking about Ovechkin or this about Hull? I am just wondering if you are holding Hull to the same standard and questioning his title as GOAT goalscorer?

Both players lead the league in shots by a ton, both had shooting %s that indicated that they weren't "ripping shots with reckless abandon", both have one Cup each while going home,or without the Cup, before less talented teams many other times. Hull arguably had better support, or at least the more talented teammate.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Here is where Ovechkin ranked in assists in his prime (2005-06 to 2009-10): 7, 11, 22, 31, 42.

Factor in that his shoot first style certainly generated an above average amount of rebound assists and the numbers hardly support your statement about his playmaking.

Now I wouldn't refer to Ovechkin as one dimensional. That again would be an exaggeration. But even in his prime, he was a relatively specialized player and not particularly balanced offensively. And to call him a very good playmaker in an all-time sense is simply wrong.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Each of these quotes are problematic.

ImporterExporter said:
if Crosby was as shot crazed as 8 he'd be every bit the all time goal scorer 8 is. So once again, you are made to look like a fool...

ImporterExporter said:
Players like Ovechkin, as the focal point of a team offensively, drag a team down more than elevate them.

Ovechkin has almost always played on very, very strong rosters

the Caps have been the President trophy winning team 3 times. Over a 100 points numerous other times.

This is a team game.

How much success have the Caps had since 8 came into the league with him being the sole focal point offensively?

So basically the assertion is that team success in the regular season is exclusively due to "strong rosters" and NOT Ovechkin, whereas team failures in the postseason are due to Ovechkin's playing style, nevermind that secondary scoring from these allegedly strong rosters was extremely weak when Ovechkin wasn't on the ice.

The truth is the Capitals never had a decent blue line until Orpik and Niskanen came along in 2014-2015. They never had a decent 2C until Kuznetsov blossomed in 2015-2016. They had a revolving door at goalie until Holtby solidified it in 12-13.

The Capitals were not a great franchise to come to. They had no history of success. In Ovechkin's career, there have been 3 seasons where the Capitals had a balanced roster (this will be the 4th).

-Crosby from 07-08 onward is 3rd in goals per game. 1st in assists.

-Stamkos is 2nd in goals per game. 33rd in assists.

-Ovechkin is 1st in goals per game. 30th in assists.

-Just food for thought when people talk about balance or the notion that Ovechkin is clearly the greatest goal scorer of the generation or more importantly all time....without applying context. You won't do it? I will.

Crosby is second in assists since the lockout, Thornton has 45 more assists (6% more), and Crosby is 1.0% ahead of 3rd place Henrik Sedin. Crosby is 4th in goals per game among players with more than 400 games played, and second in goals (Ovechkin has 48% more).

Ovechkin is 12th in assists since the lockout, and first in goals - 48% ahead of second place.

Ovechkin doesn't contribute in a defensive manner

This has never been true.

despite Ovechkin being a shoot first and often shoot only player during his career

Ovechkin has never been a "shoot only" player. This was just debunked. Firmly.

Bobby Hull was superior by every metric you can find.

The talent pool was half or a third the size it is now. Maybe less. Standing out in 1963 =/= standing out in 2010. Any time they are close in ranking, the tie goes to Ovechkin. Anything else would not be equitable to modern players.

Ovechkin has 3 Harts. Hull has 2. Advantage Ovechkin.

Ovechkin has 48% more goals than second place during his first 13 seasons. Bobby Hull had 24% more goals than second place during his first 13 seasons (older Gordie Howe) and 31% more than Frank Mahovlich (30% over Mahovlich after 15 NHL seasons). Huge Advantage Ovechkin.

Ovechkin has 7 Rockets. Hull has 7 Rockets. Advantage Ovechkin.

Ovechkin is tied for 4th in playoff PPG (over 50 GP). Hull is .01 above 4th. Advantage Ovechkin.

Ovechkin leads NHL playoffs in G/GP by .03. Hull leads by .06. (min 50 GP). But then again the next players after Ovechkin are Zetterberg and Kucherov - 2 players from countries that were non-factors in Hull's era. After them Ovechkin has a .06 lead just like Hull did. Advantage Ovechkin. Maybe draw I dunno.

Ovechkin is first in regular season G/GP with .61. Second place is .53 (Stamkos in 70% as many games). Ovechkin had a .08 lead.
Hull is first in regular season G/GP with .58. Second place is .56 (Esposito in 60% of games played). Hull had a .02 lead. Advantage Ovechkin.

The spread after that isn't much different either. Ovechkin has a .13 lead on 4th and from there it's a pack of players (.09 on Kovalchuk - who again, Hull would have never have competed with in the NHL). Hull has a .13 on 3rd - and that's where the pack of players begins. Advantage Ovechkin.

Ovechkin lead the NHL in points through his first 13 seasons. Hull was second to age 29-40 Gordie Howe. Ovechkin was 114 points ahead of third place. Hull was 107 points ahead of third place. Advantage Ovechkin.

Hull was third in PPG through '71-72 with 4th, 5th and 6th right behind him (min 400 GP). Ovechkin is in third in PPG with nobody right behind him. Advantage Ovechkin.

These are just some metrics. Certainly there are some metrics where Hull comes out ahead relative to his exponentially smaller talent pool. But my point is this: To say "Bobby Hull was superior by every metric you can find" is blatantly false.

And I'm not even going into the massive flaws of VsX.

Main comp [for Bobby Hull] for Hart voting included Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau, Stan Mikita, and Bobby Orr.

Gordie Howe was 31 the first time Hull was a factor in Hart voting. Bobby Hull was 31 when Orr won his first.

Their careers coincide to the extent that McDavid's and Ovechkin's do. I don't consider McDavid and Ovechkin to be from the same generation.

Ovechkin has competed with a much larger talent pool - including 100% career overlap with Crosby.

Hull faced stiffer comp for major awards

If you assume the 5th or 6th best player from the 50s and 60s is superior to the best player from the 2000s and 2010s, then maybe. I find it extremely unlikely that the Canada with a population of 16M puts out more hockey talent than the Canada with a 32M population + Russia + the USA + all the European countries combined. The project is fatally flawed in this regard.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Now I wouldn't refer to Ovechkin as one dimensional. That again would be an exaggeration. But even in his prime, he was a relatively specialized player and not particularly balanced offensively. And to call him a very good playmaker in an all-time sense is simply wrong.

Firmly disagree.

Alex Ovechkin is 12th in assists since the lockout. Ovechkin is a very good playmaker in whatever sense you want. He makes passes like these pretty frequently:

He's been asked to shoot first by every coach he's ever had. Being the trigger man is going to lower assist totals just as being the set-up man could lower goal totals. Despite this, he still has a career assists per game roughly the same as John Tavares.

There aren't that many assists coming off rebounds. The vast majority are passing plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The numbers show that OV's playoff #'s vs. his peers which includes both multi-dimensional elite forwards and specialized elite forwards (or maybe just one in Kane) put him in the Top 10 as a playoff performer.

Paint me sceptical. What Mike Farkas has said stands to reason: In the third round of the POs you usually face opponents that are more difficult to score on than in the first round. Therefore the comparison is distorted in disfavour of players whose teams had multiple deep PO runs.

An examples:

Sidney Crosby has 185 points in 160 playoff games. 90 of those points (48.6 %) were scored in his 59 first round games, that is: in just 36.8 % of his overall playoff games. In the remaining 101 playoff games (second to fourth round) = 63.2 % of all games, Crosby scored 95 points, that is: 51.4 % of his overall PO production.

In all likeliness, more deeper playoff runs for Ovechkin mean that his GP count (at 121 now) goes up faster than his points count (at 117 now) and thus, his rank among contemporary playoff scorers takes a dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->