Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not saying that Red Kelly didn't help, he did, but there was a ton of reasons why those Leafs won 3 straight in the 60's.

That didnt just all boil down to Red....... Correct....Yet to hear some talk... Got MORONS on my team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That's a great quote but Johnny Bower and the stacked Leaf lineup sure helped as well.

Jean and the Habs started to slip the 2 previous playoffs, losing both times to the Black Hawks, before the Leafs first SC in the 60's.

I'm not saying that Red Kelly didn't help, he did, but there was a ton of reasons why those Leafs won 3 straight in the 60's.

No doubt. Other contributors to that dynasty will make this list as well.

But it speaks very highly to Kelly's all-around skill set that Imlach identified him, a defenseman, to be his ace-in-the-hole center in an effort to counter the great Jean Beliveau. And four Cups with Kelly at center suggest that Imlach had a supreme eye for talent.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yeah, I caved it to the popular opinion. Hasek is my #5 and Roy #7.
I had Hasek at 7th and Roy at 8th in the 2nd round of voting. They both moved up (Roy a lot more) from my initially submitted 120-name list because there were some great detailed discussions of goaltending.

Reactions: Sentinel

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So I looked at my old list, I made a conscious effort to not look at what I thought going into the exercise and let the arguments presented sway me without a firm ranking.

Of the first 29 - I have 27 in various different places with the two others currently up for vote which makes me happy that my initial list while a little scattered featured the right players.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I have no problem with OV's ranking. What would it have been w/o a SC win?

As far as I'm concerned, and if we take for granted he played the exact same way in the 2018 playoffs (which is something of flimsy proposition, I know), the same.

Reactions: seventieslord

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, and if we take for granted he played the exact same way in the 2018 playoffs (which is something of flimsy proposition, I know), the same.
Eh - if he's stuck in the second round again, no matter how he played he would have suffered. I'm not thrilled with his ranking, but it's fine. I think he's probably the worst playoff performer we've put in so far (but admittedly that's without deep checking so there may be one or two that have a worse resume), and by far the worst international resume.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Eh - if he's stuck in the second round again, no matter how he played he would have suffered. I'm not thrilled with his ranking, but it's fine. I think he's probably the worst playoff performer we've put in so far (but admittedly that's without deep checking so there may be one or two that have a worse resume), and by far the worst international resume.

I was impling that he'd play the same amount of games, too.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I have no problem with OV's ranking. What would it have been w/o a SC win?

First - thank you for changing the subject.

For me personally i don't think the no SC would change his ranking too horribly much. I already weight him as a mostly decent playoff performer - who simply hadn't managed to achieve a lot of team success yet. But I expect a few people here would have been a real stickler for him not making it past round 2, and it likely knocks him down a bit. Behind Lafleur, at least.

To me I think where the real money is for Ovi is in getting a 2nd smythe/cup. Before the 1 he was by far the weakest playoff performer. Now? He's still near the bottom, comparable to Jagr and a few others. But you give him a 2nd smythe/cup? All of a sudden his playoffs start to look quite strong - and he can move up the ranks significantly.

I mean Messier is ranked right above Ovi. Ovechkin has been a higher profile player than Messier almost his whole career. But Messier is killer in the playoffs. If Ovechkin raises his stock further in playoffs, i think he'll continue to climb the ranks in coming years.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I would like to see the comments be more directly related to this project.

Clarke fell from 21 to 29 and there's no guarantee Robinson makes 30-34. Is this committee more offense minded than past ones? (I realize was Clarke was great offensively also.)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Clarke fell from 21 to 29 and there's no guarantee Robinson makes 30-34. Is this committee more offense minded than past ones? (I realize was Clarke was great offensively also.)

Not sure how much you've been following but it absolutely is. There are folks that are very, very enamored with raw offensive stats involved. Jagr rose, I think, 9 spots from the 2009 list despite not doing a damn thing of note since 2009. Paul Coffey is up for discussion now with a chance to go in the 35-40 range, which would be a bigger jump from his 46th spot a decade ago.

Some people just aren't willing to admit that not playing defense inherently makes scoring points easier.

But to each their own I guess.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Not sure how much you've been following but it absolutely is. There are folks that are very, very enamored with raw offensive stats involved. Jagr rose, I think, 9 spots from the 2009 list despite not doing a damn thing of note since 2009. Paul Coffey is up for discussion now with a chance to go in the 35-40 range, which would be a bigger jump from his 46th spot a decade ago.
Some people just aren't willing to admit that not playing defense inherently makes scoring points easier. But to each their own I guess.
Thanks for replying and agreed with your defense comments. The Bulls won 6 rings not from Jordan and Pippen's offense, but from them being 2 of the best defensive players of all time. I may not post again, but I'll probably be watching and enjoying.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Well...
Ovechkin, Crosby and Frank Nighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad