Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Voting Results (Part 1)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Pretty displeased with Ovechkin and Lafleur being this high actually...neither were in my top 5...I also value wings much less than most probably...predictably incomplete wings...there's no less impactful player...
I might be the same - outside of Howe and Hull I've yet to have a winger in my top 5.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
After Robinson (and Fetisov), I won't be in any hurry to get any other defenseman in, as long as a ton of those centers will still be eligible.

Thinking about Steve Yzerman vs. Chris Chelios, first gut feeling based on memories was that Yzerman was a better, more important player.Gut feelings aren't the most accurate way to compare players but they also matter to some extent.Then I see that there's arguably 9-10 centers that could get in before Yzerman, and the next level of defensemen just look weak compared to this tier of centers.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Even as a non-participant, I'm looking forward to a Fetisov vs Makarov discussion in the next round(hopefully). Can't decide between them myself.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll say this though : this is our first round in a while in which we didn't see extreme results (read, NRs) affecting the final order. Fetisov got a NR (but was otherwise somewhat nowhere close), Mikita and Lafleur got no NR (and a few low votes) but no clear outlier, and Ovechkin's NR had absolutely no effect on anything.

... Though Sawchuk was something of a NR magnet.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I'll say this though : this is our first round in a while in which we didn't extreme results (read, NRs) affecting the final order. Fetisov got a NR (but was otherwise somewhat nowhere close), Mikita and Lafleur got no NR (and a few low votes) but no clear outlier, and Ovechkin's NR had absolutely no effect on anything.

I'm half expecting Sawchuk to end up NR-magneting again. He just seems really out of place in this vote.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Pretty displeased with Ovechkin and Lafleur being this high actually...neither were in my top 5...I also value wings much less than most probably...predictably incomplete wings...there's no less impactful player...

MargeCarMeme.png

alex-ovechkin-stanley-cup-nhl-awards.jpg

462ff92ec991e480bc993f5b4925adf8.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_11-41-32.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_11-41-32.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Killion

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'll say this though : this is our first round in a while in which we didn't extreme results (read, NRs) affecting the final order. Fetisov got a NR (but was otherwise somewhat nowhere close), Mikita and Lafleur got no NR (and a few low votes) but no clear outlier, and Ovechkin's NR had absolutely no effect on anything.

I feel this was really only relevant in the first 2-3 rounds...i've not felt there's been an absolute shoe-in since then, and we probably won't have any moving forward with how close this is.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If anything, the fact that Lafleur and Ovechkin are exceptions to the claim that "you can't win in (post-expansion) hockey when your best player is a winger" should be a point in their favor.

And yes, Ovechkin was still the 2018 Capital's best player, even if his center arguably played better over 4 rounds.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Hmmm... chalk through four, then Mikita went around Esposito for 5th. Suppose that's not surprising. What IS surprising is that Mikita was on all ballots (even mine), but Glenn Hall was de-listed by four. Perforce, that means there are four people out there who esteem Brodeur and Sawchuk as superior. Ah, well- I guess if you're one of the people who de-listed Plante last round, then there's probably not a whole lot in Glenn Hall's résumé that's going to impress you.

Not that I thought Esposito deserved advancement... but he took a bigger bath that I anticipated.

Somebody had Fetisov unlisted.:eek:
Somebody had Ovechkin unlisted.:help:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I feel this was really only relevant in the first 2-3 rounds...i've not felt there's been an absolute shoe-in since then, and we probably won't have any moving forward with how close this is.

It's not about shoo-ins. It's about looking at the table and asking WTH has just happened and realizing the result can only be explained by an extreme vote. (like, if Nighbor would have been NR'ed instead of being ranked 6th by 2 persons, Messier would've finished first).

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It's not about shoo-ins. It's about looking at the table and asking WTH has just happened and realizing the result can only be explained by an extreme vote. (like, if Nighbor would have been NR'ed instead of being ranked 6th by 2 persons, Messier would've finished first).
I mean, it's hindsight, but I kind of wish we did the whole "eliminate highest and lowest vote" thing for each player to control for outliers. I guess with the voting records we could see if that would change any results, but in a project like this that's prone to some emotional more than rational choices (and I'm not innocent of this - no hockey fan is), controlling for outliers seems like a sound practice.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hmmm... chalk through four, then Mikita went around Esposito for 5th. Suppose that's not surprising. What IS surprising is that Mikita was on all ballots (even mine), but Glenn Hall was de-listed by four. Perforce, that means there are four people out there who esteem Brodeur and Sawchuk as superior. Ah, well- I guess if you're one of the people who de-listed Plante last round, then there's probably not a whole lot in Glenn Hall's résumé that's going to impress you.

Not that I thought Esposito deserved advancement... but he took a bigger bath that I anticipated.

Somebody had Fetisov unlisted.:eek:
Somebody had Ovechkin unlisted.:help:

I know you really didn't like Mikita as a player (and I'm not throwing any accusation of bias or hater or anything...), but he really, really was a very obvious candidate to make it.

...And I actually thought Hall was getting voted in due to how uncontroversial I perceived him to be. I'm one of the highest on Hall, and he'll probably end up being close to Mikita, which would be perfectly fine with me.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

No I understand what you mean - but what I was saying is that i don't expect there to be any WTH possible votes moving forward. In rounds 1-3 - there were enough top players that seeing a cpl of guys with bottom votes (ex Gretzky at 7) seemed really iffy.

I'm not bothered with Ovi's last place vote this round, and i wouldn't have been bothered with Nighbor either. I felt like this last round too. The separation between players moving forward will be very small.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I know you really didn't like Mikita as a player (and I'm not throwing any accusation of bias or hater or anything...), but he really, really was a very obvious candidate to make it.

...And I actually thought Hall was getting voted in due to how uncontroversial I perceived him to be.
I don't recall anyone really enthusiastic about Hall, though. Brodeur had a lot more discussion/support in the thread.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
I hope Clarke rebounds next vote when more focus will be on him. He's a better overall player than Esposito...and that's not just me liking guys that can play defense, Clarke had better hands in open space and was better in transition than Esposito too...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sakic is probably coming up, but I'm sure Yzerman will be a round later... Maybe two. We haven't exactly reached consensus on them, but we're damn close. Finally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad