Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 2

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Richard - Most of his dominance came in a league that was roughly AHL-quality. Lots of all-stars, but outside of Howe there wasn't much in the way of competition for those all-stars.
tenor.gif

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes we should. Neither Roy nor Hasek are worthy of top 5 All Time goalie status let alone top 5 overall.

Both required managed RS starts and took longer than most to claim #1 status with an NHL team.

Patrick Roy had more PO minutes than any of this goalie teammate had RS minutes in 1986...

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
(Apropos Harvey)- Superb in transition. Nailed it.
Thought I'd leave this here, as long as we're talking about Defensemen- I noticed that after Eddie Shore passed the age of 30, his PiMs did go down, which (to me) suggests something of a "wise-up" factor. Still- you can't take away all those penalties before that time from our reckoning. I don't think I'm saying anything TOO controversial by arguing "not just yet" for Shore.

I see that when the Pooh-Bahs got together with the Hall of Fame to pass out "Retro-Smythes," Harvey was shut out. Generally, I think that "Retro-Smythes" are less reliable than real Smythes. [In a lot of cases, that's saying something.] I think they may have miscued on one or more of these.

Harvey must have had something to do with the end of all-you-can-eat power plays, right?! And yet, I see seasons before and after that time when Doug Harvey goes triple-digits into PiMs, himself. I have some speculative hypotheses about that- but I'll stand by for further edification.

Very, very rare is the multiple-Cup winner franchise that doesn't have an upper-level, HoF-caliber, Norris tier shutdown Defenseman. And when teams do, they're frequently the most important player in the "must win" games.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Funny, but to be fair the point of the post was to purposely play devil's advocate.
Nah clearly this guy is just trying to decrease the greatness of the Rocket and doesn't understand obviously why he is one of the greatest player in the history not only because he was a Québécois.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Buffalo won nine playoff series in 8 playoff years with Hasek (victories under three different coaches: Muckler, Nolan, Ruff) and when he left the Sabres, the highly successful team and coach Ruff missed the playoffs for three years and everyone knew it was because of Hasek.

Quebec moving to Colorado brought changes, like adding Claude Lemieux and Patrick Roy to a team already heralded as a contender that underperformed expectations (the cup favorite when in Quebec before the lockout). Roy rather than Fiset in net was huge, but not as pivotal as Hasek's role in Buffalo.

While true, they also lost 8 series.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nah this guy is just trying to decrease the greatness of the Rocket and doesn't understand obviously why he is one of the greatest player in the history not only because he was a Québécois.

... That was the whole point of this post.
About your meme :
- Would've been a great use
- If Mr. Savage would've been dead serious instead of purposefully looking to point out flaws
- We try to stick to words around here.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Anyway - I have to submit my list today since I'm probably out of town the next couple of days. Any last major points we haven't covered?

ContrarianGoaltender

Feb 28, 2007
tcghockey.com
@BM67 Can we get Hasek head to head vs. Brodeur please? I want to know if I should be holding off voting for any goalies until Brodeur comes around...

Why, is Jacques Plante not eligible for this list or something?

on the other hand, nobody is talking about career games played here. Save percentage, as valuable and helpful as it may be, is still a rate statistic. And being able to maintain a rate statistic over a larger sample is more impressive. That's why something like gsaa can be helpful, because it takes into consideration save percentage and how long they did it for. Hasek should be looked at more critically due to his relatively low season by season games played totals.

Games Played 1994-2002:
1. Brodeur, 588
2. Roy, 548
3. Joseph, 533
4. Hasek, 528
5. Belfour, 515

I mean, if your standard is everything below Martin Brodeur is relatively low, then fine. But are you sure you are applying the same standard to all goalies and you aren't over-correcting for Hasek's allegedly low games played numbers? Patrick Roy was 3rd in GP from 1988-1992 during his statistical peak at a time when there weren't any Martin Brodeurs in the league, I don't really see why Hasek finishing fourth over a nine season stretch is any less remarkable.

Hasek's career games played numbers are low because he has 53 GP before his age 29 season, not because he played a low number of games when he was a starting goalie.

Yes we should. Neither Roy nor Hasek are worthy of top 5 All Time goalie status let alone top 5 overall.

Both required managed RS starts and took longer than most to claim #1 status with an NHL team.

I'm not sure at all that Roy required managed RS starts, but he did mostly have managed starts throughout his career with the exception of 1992-1995 and 1998 (65 GP in an Olympic year). Roy finished in the top 6 in minutes played only three times in his career, once during a lockout-shortened season and once when had 54 GP.

Dominik Hasek, notably, did not have managed starts at all during his prime, which makes sense because his teams needed all the help they could get. He did miss time due to injury, but nobody plans injuries. When Hasek was available to play, he played in 89% of his team's games from when he took over the starting job in 1994 to his first retirement in 2002. For the sake of comparison, in Martin Brodeur's best nine season stretch he played in 90% of his team's games. If you take the best nine seasons from Patrick Roy's entire career, he played in 79% of his team's games. I think it was absolutely smart of Roy's teams to manage his starts, keeping him healthy and rested for the playoffs, but not every goalie had that luxury.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
When two goalies are as close as Dom and Roy, I believe this is the way to go. In World Cup of Soccer it's a tiebreaker.
Pretty sure you're alone on ranking this as an important metric (or even one worth quantifying at all). Goalies don't play each other. It's an asinine way to rank a position who spend the entire game 180 feet apart.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
A valid point has been raised about Moore and Geoffrion without Harvey and Maurice Richard. Might as well throw in Jean Beliveau.

Dickie Moore suffered an off-season knee injury at Dickie Moore Rentals.

Bernie Geoffrion, had 15 points in the first 10 games of the 1961-62 season playing on a line with Backstrom and Marshall. Beliveau was injured. Maurice Richard and Harvey were gone.

Rest of his career with the Canadiens was down hill. Minor injuries, disputes with officials including a suspension.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Pretty sure you're alone on ranking this as an important metric (or even one worth quantifying at all). Goalies don't play each other. It's an asinine way to rank a position who spend the entire game 180 feet apart.
"Wins" is an accepted metric for goalies, even though they play with twenty other people. This one is no less useless.

At any rate, I made my point, I like this metric, it means more to me than a bunch of games against meaningless opponents in RS (although, truth be told, in Buffalo's case, every game mattered), and I fully intend to stick with it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Anyway - I have to submit my list today since I'm probably out of town the next couple of days. Any last major points we haven't covered?

I meant to ask this last round but i figure this gives me the opening.

@quoipourquoi any issue with people who vote early - but then change their minds while voting is still open and decide to send in an updated list?

Roy and Hasek also probably played about half as many back to back games as Brodeur...and Brodeur was successful at them. Something most current goalies cannot achieve...

Whether it's true or not - can you argue the worth/value of this?

In any given season were Hasek or Roy's team on the cusp of making/missing the playoffs - where you feel them not being able to play back to back games cost their teams? Or is there a trend of them playing back to back games and doing very bad at them - enough so to hold it against them vs other goalies?

Because if i'm a coach - and if my team is safely pacing for playoffs - i don't play my goalie in back to back games either, so that they can stay fresh for playoffs. So long as they have enough career longevity and longevity within seasons (they do - its not like they're playing only 40 games) i don't think it's a big point. At least for me

Reactions: overg

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
"Wins" is an accepted metric for goalies, even though they play with twenty other people. This one is no less useless.

At any rate, I made my point, I like this metric, it means more to me than a bunch of games against meaningless opponents in RS (although, truth be told, in Buffalo's case, every game mattered), and I fully intend to stick with it.
Has a single person brought forward "wins" as a way to rank goaltenders in this? It's widely regarded as a shitty stat for goalies that few people take seriously.

You have somehow found a worse metric than wins, so congrats?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
When two goalies are as close as Dom and Roy, I believe this is the way to go.

Of course you can believe what you want to believe, but you should also back it up with an argument. Why does Hašek's head-to-head record vs Roy indicate who the better goaltender is, but Hašek's head-to-head record vs Hedberg does not indicate who the better goaltender is?

In World Cup of Soccer it's a tiebreaker.

Between goaltenders? :huh:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Of course you can believe what you want to believe, but you should also back it up with an argument. Why does Hašek's head-to-head record vs Roy indicate who the better goaltender is, but Hašek's head-to-head record vs Hedberg does not indicate who the better goaltender is?

Between goaltenders? :huh:
Especially when Hasek has *really good arguments that are more substantive*. But really this is just another way to pump a RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad