Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
...because?

How about
1. Better skater: Orr
2. Better shooter: Orr
3. Better passer: tie
4. Better vision: Gretzky
5. Better defensively: c'mon, we're joking, right?
6. Tougher: Orr

People forget that although Orr was the poster boy for rushing defensemen, he wasn't some kind of "rover". He was so fast that he could get back and defend after rushing the puck by himself. He was dominant in every area of the ice.

...and people always forget context. HE WAS A DEFENSEMAN. As good as Gretzky's numbers were, he was a centre. It is simply mind-boggling to think a d-man could win the Art Ross, not once, but twice!
So first - realize we're ranking between #1 and #2 (most likely) here, so no one is knocking Orr here.

Second - as far as who has the better hockey skills (skating, shooting, passing, etc.) - those are completely irrelevant to me in this project. I don't care what tools you bring to the ice, I care what you do with them.

Wayne dominated the league to a degree that has not been witnessed before or since. He shattered offensive records. He won Art Ross by 70-80 points. He lapped the field.

His playoff record is stellar.

His international resume is sterling.

He has the peak numbers.

He has a long prime.

He had a long career of consistent great play (I mean he was third in scoring as a 37-year old and physically just not the same player)

He wasn't super tough (in that he didn't drop the gloves) - okay, fine. I'd rather have him on the ice than in the penalty box.

I think if Orr plays until he's 35, maybe we're having a real discussion for #1 (or maybe his 26-35 years are so good that we're not). But we have to base it on what they actually did, not what they might have done. Orr's 9 year career (outside of the partial seasons) is strong enough to put him comfortably in the top 4, but for me, not close enough to knock Gretzky off of his perch at #1.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Orr was still more overpowering than Gretzky for the simple reason that Orr did everything at a legendary level. If Orr was a centre, Wayne may still have the higher numbers, but not by as much as you'd think. It may have been Orr's numbers he'd have threatened, certainly not Espo's.

However, if Wayne was a defenseman he'd be a train wreck... perhaps he'd be on a Phil Housley level at best. Orr was the best offensive AND best defensive defenseman. He could skate better than anybody, shoot better (or nearly better), pass better, plus he hit, fought, blocked shots and was just plain dominant in every facet.

If this is about "the best" (as I think it is) as opposed to the longest, most complete career, then I can't see how anybody who's ever watched hockey would pick Gretzky over Orr. It's all about the paradigm you're using.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm tyring to make you look bad (this is absolutely not what I want to do, considering I'm really hating when others are doing this to me...), but there's a very obvious counter-argument here, and one that probably forces you to drink a shot :

Neither of the Top-4 shown any kind of competence as a goaltender.

(And come on, Gretzky would either be much better than Housley or promptly moved to F if his coach had a clue).

just to add to that: i think lemieux's ability to dominate in several different eras bolsters his argument. 2000-01 is a well-known case in point. comes back halfway through the season after several years away in a drastically different scoring environment to the one he'd left and leads league in gpg, apg, and ppg, saves team's season (15-14-6 before his return, 27-14-3 afterwards), saves jagr's season (barely ppg before lemieux's return, almost 2ppg afterwards, won art ross), etc.

with lemieux, as with richard, it's at least as much about the myth as the actual results. the style, the stories. 92-93 is the other obvious example. and then there's 5 goals 5 ways, scoring on first shift, the goal vs the north stars... definitely the best highlight reel of all time.

i think from the kind of holistic perspective that this board rightly uses, which weighs talent and accomplishments and myth and consistency, etc., in proportion, there is no argument for lemieux over gretzky. but i would understand individuals rating lemieux at #1 if their criteria are different—eye test, clutch play, putting the team on your back, i dunno. (e.g. i think scotty bowman put lemieux higher.)

This is ... absolutely not what I meant by scoring environment (I was more referring to the divisionnal setup), but your point is actually good (and adds to the list of Pro-Lemieux arguments I made earlier). The same would apply to Raymond Bourque and Patrick Roy, too.

But, there's a caveat : Lemieux's DOB put him in a great position to actually do this. Hasek, Roy, Yzerman, Belfour all put up great performances while being on the other side of 35, and that's only going with the players that are born in 1985. Okay, their performances as senior citizens probably weren't on par with Lemieux's (but they at least came in full seasons!), but it's not like any of these players were quite at Mario's level in the first place. (... okay, MAYBE peak RS Hasek was, but whatever).

I can't think of a Gretzky contemporary who did anything of note after 35. (that's basically Vancouver Messier, post-Detroit Coffey, last-stop-to-Chicago Savard, San Jose Nicholls)... Gretzky's generation was mostly flaming out, fast, at least the forwards (save Messier).

My point is -- maybe Lemieux here benefitted from a structural advantage due to his DOB, compared to Gretzky at least. Hell, I'm not even sure that, 200o-onwards, Lemieux was the best player born on Oct. 5 1965 available for voting in this round.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I wasn't expecting to see this today, but I'm excited to get going.

Gretzky > Orr > Howe > Lemieux is traditionally how I've viewed the presumptive top 4, interested in the arguments for movement in 2-4

A little surprised my #5 in Hasek wasn't in the first set but I'm expecting to see him in the second set of nominees
Same here. I put Hasek at #5 and Bourque is nowhere in sight. I'm depressed and intend to go on a drinking binge.

On the Top 4 subject: after some serious soul-searching, I put Howe at #2 and Orr at #3. Yes, I concede that Orr stood further apart from his peers than Howe did. But, at the end of the day, it's one of the shortest elite careers in hockey vs. *the longest* elite career in hockey. Plus Orr should've had more Cups, while Howe simply could not have.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Does anyone think a prime Orr could have pushed 200 points if he were placed on the Oilers dynasty in place of Coffey?
Gosh I don't know. I don't think so. Coffey's offense was probably the closest to Orr from the backend and he never got close. Playing with Wayne would obviously help, but does that add 60-70 points to Orr's totals? I doubt it.

Plus, Orr w/ Wayne you could easily have an issue of there's only so much ice to go around.

Reactions: Sentinel

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Does anyone think a prime Orr could have pushed 200 points if he were placed on the Oilers dynasty in place of Coffey?
Or he could have had a more stunted career if he played in Howe's prime era, before the league suddenly weakened in competition (doubled in size, Orr facing a lot of expansion clubs, and with some topend talent not around, taking more cash to play in the WHA (eg., Hull, Tremblay).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't know though. We're talking about a guy who had a pair of near 140 point seasons in the 70's, when league scoring was not in the same zip code as the mid 80's, right?

200 might be a stretch but Orr potting 175-180 points doesn't seem very far fetched to me in all honesty.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Gosh I don't know. I don't think so. Coffey's offense was probably the closest to Orr from the backend and he never got close. Playing with Wayne would obviously help, but does that add 60-70 points to Orr's totals? I doubt it.

Plus, Orr w/ Wayne you could easily have an issue of there's only so much ice to go around.

If anything, I think Orr would have helped Wayne grab even more points. Wayne already had his defensive safety valve in Kurri, now imagine having an even better offensive Dman who was actually elite defensively (unlike Coffey).

Sorry, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, but it's just something that popped into my head with all the Gretzky/Orr stuff going on haha.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
So first - realize we're ranking between #1 and #2 (most likely) here, so no one is knocking Orr here.

Second - as far as who has the better hockey skills (skating, shooting, passing, etc.) - those are completely irrelevant to me in this project. I don't care what tools you bring to the ice, I care what you do with them.

Wayne dominated the league to a degree that has not been witnessed before or since. He shattered offensive records. He won Art Ross by 70-80 points. He lapped the field.

His playoff record is stellar.

His international resume is sterling.

He has the peak numbers.

He has a long prime.

He had a long career of consistent great play (I mean he was third in scoring as a 37-year old and physically just not the same player)

He wasn't super tough (in that he didn't drop the gloves) - okay, fine. I'd rather have him on the ice than in the penalty box.

I think if Orr plays until he's 35, maybe we're having a real discussion for #1 (or maybe his 26-35 years are so good that we're not). But we have to base it on what they actually did, not what they might have done. Orr's 9 year career (outside of the partial seasons) is strong enough to put him comfortably in the top 4, but for me, not close enough to knock Gretzky off of his perch at #1.
I like Orr's peak better, because of not only what he accomplished, but where he accomplished it from, and all that he achieved (context plus numbers plus achievements). You'd have to actually have watched hockey for a couple of decades before Orr came along to truly appreciate what he did as a d-man (something I doubt that anybody in this forum has done).
I agree, this is between 1 and 2 and Gretzky's numbers are other-worldly. I just think that he was not as good as Orr.
I put more value in impressive peak as opposed to good longevity. Hence, Francis and Gartner didn't make my top 120.
Orr won a couple of Conn Smythes of his own. And a MVP in his only real international competition (on one leg).

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
...because?

How about

People forget that although Orr was the poster boy for rushing defensemen, he wasn't some kind of "rover". He was so fast that he could get back and defend after rushing the puck by himself. He was dominant in every area of the ice.

...and people always forget context. HE WAS A DEFENSEMAN. As good as Gretzky's numbers were, he was a centre. It is simply mind-boggling to think a d-man could win the Art Ross, not once, but twice!

How on earth are you calling Orr the better shooter and an equally good passer to Gretzky? Orr was an all time great shooting defenseman, and was indeed one of the best passers (of any position) in history.

But Gretzky is the all time leader in goals, and has more assists than any player in league history has points.

I find it strange enough when people say Lemieux' hockey sense was "in the ballpark" of Gretzky's. No it wasn't, not even close. if Lemieux had Gretzky's hockey sense combined with Lemieux's physical skills, he would have had 250 point seasons. It didn't happen, because for as other-worldly as Lemieux's hockey sense was, he wasn't Gretzky.

Same thing with Orr's scoring and passing. He's not even in Gretzky's ballpark. Even if you were inclined to play the "if Orr was a forward" game, I don't see how you could possibly forecast that he'd ever score 92 goals in a season (or any era adjusted number you'd like) or rack up 163 assists. It's not as if Orr was glued to the blueline. We saw plenty of opportunities for him to use his shot and passing from positions on the ice where you'd typically see forwards.

I agree with The Macho Man, at the end of the days, "tools" are only tools, and it's what you make of them that counts. But even if counting "tools" were meaningful, I don't see any way how you can't have Gretzky clearly ahead of Orr when it comes to shooting and passing.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
A few quick points:

1. I think there is not a lot separating the big four, so I'm not going to attack any of them during a debate. To me it's a photo finish.
2. Although in my mind it's a photo-finish, Orr was simply so much better than his peers, accomplished so much more, and after all these decades is still so relevant in this conversation, and did it all as a defensman, gives him the edge. He had no holes in his game (only his knees). None.
3. We can't just fall into the trap of looking at numbers in a vacuum. The "eye test" is also important. Context is also important.
4. Although his is not relevant to the Orr vs Gretzky debate, I think Lemieux is not given anywhere enough credit for his excellence among the big four.

To your first point, maybe it's a photo finish in terms of ability (well i'd have Howe at 4 personally, but i mean between the other 3) - but ability is one component. Actual accomplishments count too. How does Gretzky not "lap" Lemieux in accomplishments?

BIG problem with your #2. We're not here to judge a player's game - but rather their career. Was Orr the perfect hockey player? Maybe. Patrice Bergeron is arguably also a more "perfect" hockey player than Sidney Crosby or maybe even Mario Lemieux. But this isn't about a player not having holes in their resume - it's about what they DID with their abilities. Even the eye test is great - but only insomuch as you use it to consider what the player accomplished, and not just how great they looked when they played.

Gretzky didn't play defense (whether he could or not is subjective - but he didn't, for the most part). He still won 9 Hart Trophies to Orr's 3. To claim "well Orr had no holes" is kind of moot if Gretzky with holes in his defensive game - was still able to accomplish something significant 6 mores times than Orr - looking at nothing but Harts.

To your 3rd point - i'm not just looking at numbers. The reason I like Gretzky is because he's #1 in all major career categories imo among the 4 (and in the categories you might argue he's not - i'd counter with he's a 1b to whoever you have as 1a).

Playoffs? He's easily #1.
Peak? Again, #1. Do you prefer Orr? Ok but based on sheer offensive domination and length of peak, Gretzky would at worst be a 1b to Orr's 1a, so small gap.
Career/prime? Gretzky (insomuch as by career prime you don't just mean longevity - in which case Howe would win).
International play? Gretzky #1 again.

To come back to your Orr vs Gretzky - even if you give it to Orr for peak, Gretzky's gap in playoffs is quite big. As is his gap in international play. As is his career/prime (due to Orr's early retirement).

I agree with your point 4 about Lemieux often being downplayed - but I think vs Gretzky his case is nonexistent. With Howe and Orr? Yes - let's discuss that comparison.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
...because?

How about

But we're not ranking a player's game. We're ranking a player's career. How is any of this relevant on its own?

If despite Orr's supposed better shooting (laughable - but let's say we agree) - Gretzky scored MUCH more goals (even era adjusted) - that's what counts in this project.

I mean again - using your logic in judging a player's "game" vs "career" - wouldn't Connor McDavid be a top 20 player on your list?

Reactions: ResilientBeast

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm 10 for 10 thus far. Glad to see Roy in the top 10. It's about time the greatest goalie ever has a place in the top 10.

I have Orr #1. No player has ever dominated at both ends of the ice the way he did. Gretzky was an offensive white wizard but Orr literally owned the ice, all of it until his knees were finally jello, which is one of the great shames in sports history. He dominated at ES, on the PP, on the kill. Didn't matter where or when he was used.

Very cool on 10 for 10 (i don't, missing at least 2).

As to your 2nd point - all you're doing is arguing that Orr was a more complete player than Gretzky (or maybe even a "better" player). But this project shouldn't be about that - it should be about evaluating what Orr accomplished vs Gretzky accomplished.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Lemieux was more naturally gifted (physically speaking) than 99. I have zero doubt about that. But Gretzky had a much better work ethic and his hockey sense was indeed better. He simply saw the offensive zone better than any F in history.
I think most people agree with this. I just have to completely discount "tool" arguments here as being irrelevant. There's a reason Lindros isn't near the top of anyone's list despite his incredible toolset.

Since now's the time for it, let's get into Mario a bit.

One of his Pearson's came in a season where Wayne set the record for points in a season (outscoring him by 69 points). Now by this time the Oilers were a pretty deep team, but that one strikes me as a) voter fatigue, and b) respect for the "toolset" more than the results. But setting that aside, let's look at Lemieux.

Five first All-Stars (but it was a deep position). Six Art Ross trophies (matching Howe, still a decent clip behind Wayne). Best offensive season by someone not named Wayne Gretzky in raw point totals in 88-89. Three Harts, which seems rather low (but Hart voting can be bonkers at times). And then all of the other superlatives - great per game rates. While his career was broken up a bit by retirements he performed well in each era he played in. He may be the most raw physically gifted player in history.

The knocks against him - only 2 Cups (but both his Cup performances were pretty legendary). He doesn't have much of an international resume, although he was great in the 88 Canada Cup. He was an indifferent defender *at best*, and literally took games off due to his conditioning.

I think that last point separates him from the other 3 in my estimation, but especially Orr and Howe. Those two exemplify old-time hockey. You'd have to destroy both of their knees to keep them off of the ice. For as great as Mario was, he isn't doing your team any good in the press box.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... all you're doing is arguing that Orr was a more complete player than Gretzky (or maybe even a "better" player). But this project shouldn't be about that - it should be about evaluating what Orr accomplished vs Gretzky accomplished.
Well, if a player was more complete, one could argue they accomplished more away from the puck. Not all accomplishments can be easily quantified, especially defensive play. Intangibles ought not be dismissed just because they are not measured. History books, accolades, praise by coaches and the opposition, assessments by contemporaries, journalist descriptions, these will all come into play. If all 30+ of us just made one relevant historical citation, man, we could learn a lot more details, fleshed-out dimensions.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Very cool on 10 for 10 (i don't, missing at least 2).

As to your 2nd point - all you're doing is arguing that Orr was a more complete player than Gretzky (or maybe even a "better" player). But this project shouldn't be about that - it should be about evaluating what Orr accomplished vs Gretzky accomplished.
I think being a complete player is absolutely relevant. I think the point becomes more salient when discussing (say) Mike Bossy versus Brian Trottier than Orr versus Gretzky, but being great in all situations is absolutely an important metric.

The thing with Orr is I wish he played 7 more years. Winning 2 Art Ross trophies from the back end is absolutely bonkers, and I wish he had the overall career on top of his amazing prime to make a discussion versus Wayne close for me. But at the end of the day, we only got those 8 peak years, which I think Gretzky's career accomplishments create distance from.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Some Bobby Orr data that probably already exists...(edit: updated with the remainders)

Orr vs. O6 teams..."Hosers" = expansion teams, of course. (like with my other stuff, this was done manually...compiled in good faith)

1968GPGAPts+/-
Road16471111
Home18611179
Hosers121238
Road175611-6
Home189101923
Hosers327273438
Road2051823-9
Home2010182813
Hosers3618516950
Road15215179
Home159192833
Hosers5826689482
Road146111721
Home145121714
Hosers4826578348
Road94812-1
Home10216184
Hosers4423487152
Road14313162
Home136263218
Hosers4723517464
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I don't know though. We're talking about a guy who had a pair of near 140 point seasons in the 70's, when league scoring was not in the same zip code as the mid 80's, right?

200 might be a stretch but Orr potting 175-180 points doesn't seem very far fetched to me in all honesty.

I don't think he could've, even adjusted points which are imperfect and bad don't even put Orr close to some of Gretzky's best seasons.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Also one thing I'm curious about - I know league-wide scoring in the 6-to-12 era wasn't at 80s levels, but how did the O6 teams do during that period (versus the league as a whole)?

Let me phrase it differently - let's say league-wide the scoring was at 6.1 GPG. Was this a situation where the O6 teams were scoring 4 GPG and the new teams were scoring at a rate of 2.1?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Well, if a player was more complete, one could argue they accomplished more away from the puck. Not all accomplishments can be easily quantified, especially defensive play. Intangibles ought not be dismissed just because they are not measured. History books, accolades, praise by coaches and the opposition, assessments by contemporaries, journalist descriptions, these will all come into play. If all 30+ of us just made one relevant historical citation, man, we could learn a lot more details, fleshed-out dimensions.

I agree - but so posters should make those arguments and comparisons, and not simply be content with arguing Orr's more complete game, nor Lemieux's greater "ability". Gretzky isn't a top 5 most "complete" player in history, nor is he arguably a top 5 player in terms of "raw talent/ability". Doesn't mean he shouldn't rank #1.

Orr's more complete game than Gretzky - Or Lemieux's greater ability than Gretzky - are only relevant if one can show that thanks to that more complete game, or greater ability - said player accomplished more/was more valuable (and not just for a single peak season, but for overall career). Nobody has really done so yet (at least not the 2 posters I quoted).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I know some people will say it's the same thing but it is NOT.

Bonus points for strong defensive play? Sure. So give Howe bonus points, for example, and maybe give Lemieux/Gretzky none (or very little).
Subtract for weak defensive play if it wasn't your role? Nope. So I hope Gretzky and Lemieux get no deductions when assessing them based on defensive play/ability. Their coaches/teams/systems wanted them to play offense, not defense, and so we shouldn't penalize them for lack of defense.

Please provide a quote of a coach, any coach telling any player that the coach does not want him to play defence. That the teams defensive strategy is to play shorthanded.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Same here. I put Hasek at #5 and Bourque is nowhere in sight. I'm depressed and intend to go on a drinking binge.

On the Top 4 subject: after some serious soul-searching, I put Howe at #2 and Orr at #3. Yes, I concede that Orr stood further apart from his peers than Howe did. But, at the end of the day, it's one of the shortest elite careers in hockey vs. *the longest* elite career in hockey. Plus Orr should've had more Cups, while Howe simply could not have.

If I understand your argument, the bolded is wrong. Both in 1951 and 1953, the Red Wings, in both cases the best team in the league during the RS and decidedly so in 1953 (their 1951 season was actually even better, and possibly one of the best RS by pts% at that point), would be eliminated in the first round by a non-.500 team that would subsequently bow out to the eventual Stanley Cup Winner in 5 games, each year.

Yeah, there are reasons to have expected the Orr' Bruins to win more than they did; however, they did run into the 15-year Canadiens sortof-dynasty in 1971, into a very solid Rangers team in 1973 (Bruins not the best team in their division that season) and into the Flyers in the Finals in 1974. Those are much better teams than the ones that took out the Red Wings during Howe's prime/dynasty years.

And I actually agree with the idea that the Bruins should have won more. But if the Bruins should've won more, then, the Red Wings REALLY, but REALLY should've won more.

(I'm strictly talking about teams here, and not about the players in those teams. Howe's production was actually good in 1951 and in 1953)

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad