Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I did some deeper research on goalies last night. Luongo did fare a little better than I initially expected. I ranked about 30 deep on goalies, Luongo and Lundqvist ended up in the mid-20's. Not sure I will get that deep on the goalie list when I compile my 120, but you never know.

Other thoughts on goalies since that's what I was working on last night:

I separated them into where I saw natural gaps. Roy/Hasek in the first, then Plante/Hall/Sawchuk/Brodeur, then I have Dryden and Tretiak side-by-side, and can't see much of a gap between them. Then about 6 pre-war/war-time goalies. That is 14 names, all of which will make the list. Beyond that, it's hard to say. Espo, Belfour and Tiny lead the final cluster, which is about 15 deep.

Keep in mind that prior to 1981, the Vezina trophy was essentially the Jennings trophy. It was given to the goalie who played the most games for the team with the fewest goals against. Still impressive to win, but no context is able to be applied, particularly to the quality of the team in front of them. Makes Plante's 5 straight Vezina's playing for the Habs in the 50'sslightly less impressive, when you consider Glen Hall was voted First-Team all-star ahead of him in 3 of those years. Taking post-season all-star selections, and Hart votes into consideration, Glen Hall has a solid case to jump Plante on the list.
I want to ask again (not just of you but the entire peanut gallery) - where does that leave Holecek? Should he be in the Dryden/Tretiak tier or below?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I want to ask again (not just of you but the entire peanut gallery) - where does that leave Holecek? Should he be in the Dryden/Tretiak tier or below?
To be honest, in the final cluster. Only because I have not done any research on him specifically. I am a bit lost on what to do with him. Where would be a good place to start?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Reflecting on goalies on my list : I don't think there's such a thing as a Top-7, honestly.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The Isles tight checking system in the 80's seemed geared towards Trottier's game...is there any feeling that Bossy was held back a bit (while still being super elite at goal scoring, of course) by Al Arbour's system a la Mike Modano under Hitchcock...?

I would think you could argue it possibly held everyone back points wise rather than one individual. But in 78, 79, 81 and 82 they were 2nd, 1st, 1st and 2nd in goals FOR across the league while they were middle of the pack in 80 and 83. I actually think tighter defensive systems in that time period created more offense on the counter.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I did some deeper research on goalies last night. Luongo did fare a little better than I initially expected. I ranked about 30 deep on goalies, Luongo and Lundqvist ended up in the mid-20's. Not sure I will get that deep on the goalie list when I compile my 120, but you never know.

Other thoughts on goalies since that's what I was working on last night:

I separated them into where I saw natural gaps. Roy/Hasek in the first, then Plante/Hall/Sawchuk/Brodeur, then I have Dryden and Tretiak side-by-side, and can't see much of a gap between them. Then about 6 pre-war/war-time goalies. That is 14 names, all of which will make the list. Beyond that, it's hard to say. Espo, Belfour and Tiny lead the final cluster, which is about 15 deep.

Keep in mind that prior to 1981, the Vezina trophy was essentially the Jennings trophy. It was given to the goalie who played the most games for the team with the fewest goals against. Still impressive to win, but no context is able to be applied, particularly to the quality of the team in front of them. Makes Plante's 5 straight Vezina's playing for the Habs in the 50'sslightly less impressive, when you consider Glen Hall was voted First-Team all-star ahead of him in 3 of those years. Taking post-season all-star selections, and Hart votes into consideration, Glen Hall has a solid case to jump Plante on the list.
Where do you have Bill Durnan? With the pre-war guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->