Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (With a Vengeance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
On giveaways, a play is either counted as a giveaway or a takeaway, not both (although in some arenas it does seem to be counted as both sometimes.)

About Clapper, He spent 10 years as a RW and probably rates as #3 behind Cook and Conacher over the time-period. He then spent 10 years as a D, and beat out Earl Seibert for 3 1st team nods after only getting a few votes in his 1st year after the switch.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Worth exploring if Boston defensemen are not "credited" with giveaways...Boston, in the post-lockout era, has been notable for not having very skilled defensemen vs. the field and vs. their own success. So one would expect higher turnover rates than most teams.

From 2005 to just before the start of 08-09, Chara leads the way among all league d-men...possibly a product of many things, including a collapsing system where the top priority is moving unpredictable rebounds to safety and Chara not having the skating or puck skills to hold the puck around his own net...

Here are the road takeaway and road giveaway leaders since the lockout.
TakeGive
Pavel Datsyuk182Jaromir Jagr165
Martin St. Louis127Zdeno Chara155
Evgeni Malkin117Alexander Ovechkin144
John Madden114Joe Thornton138
Marian Hossa112Marc Savard135
Sidney Crosby110Hal Gill130
Scott Gomez109Sidney Crosby126
Derek Roy106Jason Spezza125
Duncan n makes a differenceKeith106Jay Bouwmeester125
Mikko Koivu105Alex Kovalev124
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Whether a team plays man-to-man or zone with its defencemen impacts takeaways and giveaways.

Also the quickness getting to the puck impacts the same stats.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Giveaways are a strange stat. I think it is more an indication of puck possession than anything else. The leaders in giveaways seem to always be the leaders in time on ice, and the people who have the puck the most. You can't give away the puck if you never have it. Notice how the leaders in giveaways are never 3rd line wingers, it's always an all-star player.

To be useful giveaways should be counted as "giveaways per possession". As it is I really don't know how to use the stat.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
On giveaways, a play is either counted as a giveaway or a takeaway, not both (although in some arenas it does seem to be counted as both sometimes.)

About Clapper, He spent 10 years as a RW and probably rates as #3 behind Cook and Conacher over the time-period. He then spent 10 years as a D, and beat out Earl Seibert for 3 1st team nods after only getting a few votes in his 1st year after the switch.

During that period, he's also way, way closer to Cecil Dillon (who had a very tough road to icetime) than to Cook and Conacher.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Giveaways are a strange stat. I think it is more an indication of puck possession than anything else. The leaders in giveaways seem to always be the leaders in time on ice, and the people who have the puck the most. You can't give away the puck if you never have it. Notice how the leaders in giveaways are never 3rd line wingers, it's always an all-star player.

To be useful giveaways should be counted as "giveaways per possession". As it is I really don't know how to use the stat.

Only one giveaway per possession is possible.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Only one giveaway per possession is possible.

Sure, but you can also have no giveaway. The worst case would be one giveaway per possession = 100%, the best case zero giveaways per possession = 0%. In reality the average number would be somewhere in between and that would be worded as (e.g.) 0.3 giveaways per possession, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: overg

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Some quotes from Dominik Hasek’s goaltending coach in Buffalo:

“He was so smart he knew exactly what was going to happen next, but he was too early,” Korn said. “So he showed his hand like a bad poker player, and that gave players a chance to adjust to Dom, and so he just didn’t have enough patience to make greatness of his ability to process what was going on.”

I believe Dominik Hasek’s one of the few guys that had all thousand pieces,” he said. “I can tell you when I met Dom, almost all of the thousand pieces were spread out all over the table, and they weren’t put together yet.”

So they worked on an array of goaltending skills – skating, handling the puck and even catching it. “Literally, Dom had to learn how to close his glove and catch pucks,” Korn said. “He didn’t really close his glove to catch pucks.”

Thanks for these enlightening quotes.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Sure, but you can also have no giveaway. The worst case would be one giveaway per possession = 100%, the best case zero giveaways per possession = 0%. In reality the average number would be somewhere in between and that would be worded as (e.g.) 0.3 giveaways per possession, no?

Why the fascination with averaging?

Issue comes down to Time of Possession/Possessions and positive results.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Personally, I'd like to see the existing data paired with passes (sent and received) as well as instances where the puck is surrendered and received to/from nobody in particular. Always had a problem with the idea that you can gauge puck management by counting up a very selective portion of the things that can happen when one has the puck. Of courses, there would be all kinds of counting problems and it wouldn't take coaching effects into account, but ultimately, everyone's responsible for applying the soft information they already know to any conclusion they might make.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Personally, I'd like to see the existing data paired with passes (sent and received) as well as instances where the puck is surrendered and received to/from nobody in particular. Always had a problem with the idea that you can gauge puck management by counting up a very selective portion of the things that can happen when one has the puck. Of courses, there would be all kinds of counting problems and it wouldn't take coaching effects into account, but ultimately, everyone's responsible for applying the soft information they already know to any conclusion they might make.

You only get vanilla base stats from the NHL. As an example NHL teams grade passes, the extent is a question of the willingness to invest time and money.

Also giveaways are graded. Not all are viewed as negatives. Icing the puck, creating a defensive zone faceoff without the benefit of player changes is a negative. Chipping the puck into the defensive starting the player change process while a giveaway is a positive.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
You only get vanilla base stats from the NHL. As an example NHL teams grade passes, the extent is a question of the willingness to invest time and money.

Also giveaways are graded. Not all are viewed as negatives. Icing the puck, creating a defensive zone faceoff without the benefit of player changes is a negative. Chipping the puck into the defensive starting the player change process while a giveaway is a positive.
That's exactly what I mean by "applying soft information". Everyone from a casual fan on up does it, to varying degrees of sophistication.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Boston and a few other teams have been known and to give and not count their teams and opposing teams hits and other stats. The same thing when turnovers and giveaways. Interesting.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Interested in seeing where various participants have Scott Niedermayer and Keith ranked. How many are including any Karlsson? Chara? Doughty?
At this time (because up until deadline the order may change) they are ranked: Keith 69, Karrlson 79, Neidermayer 82, Doughty 111, Chara 114.

Last edited:

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
During that period, he's also way, way closer to Cecil Dillon (who had a very tough road to icetime) than to Cook and Conacher.

A player with a 10 year career as a RW comparable to Dillon and then a 10 year career as a D comparable to Seibert. Clapper's first 4 years as a D are a pretty nice peak too, with 3 1st team AS spots, a 2nd and a 3rd in Hart voting and 2 Stanley Cups.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A player with a 10 year career as a RW comparable to Dillon and then a 10 year career as a D comparable to Seibert. Clapper's first 4 years as a D are a pretty nice peak too, with 3 1st team AS spots, a 2nd and a 3rd in Hart voting and 2 Stanley Cups.

"10 year career comparable to Seibert" is definitely generous, considering he wasn't necessarily standing out during the War years. Granted, Clapper was quite old by then, and probably shouldn't have been expected to stand out the way just prior to the war, and shouldn't be penalized for playing longer than any other player did before that.

But there are legit and valid reasons to believe his longevity was WWII-fueled.

And his peak is a copy-paste of Babe Siebert's.

And again, I'll reiterate my point : Dit Clapper shouldn't make or break a list.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I don't know what that means.
It's a gun reference. "38 Special." There was also a rock band in the 70s-80s.

Neidermeyer is ultra special. Winner on all levels, elite for many years. He is the reason Canada is blamed for the pathetic 2006 OG showing (which is, of course, incorrect, but it shows how high were his stakes). Makes my list without breaking sweat.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Niedermayer is a special in that he won all the time while being his team’s 2nd best defenseman most of the time.

Though coming in 2nd to Stevens and Pronger is not necessarily a slight.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It's a gun reference. "38 Special." There was also a rock band in the 70s-80s.

Neidermeyer is ultra special. Winner on all levels, elite for many years. He is the reason Canada is blamed for the pathetic 2006 OG showing (which is, of course, incorrect, but it shows how high were his stakes). Makes my list without breaking sweat.
That means relatively little to me in a team game. I knew it would be the first factor to be brought up in his favour, and it is telling to me that winning a team game with 20 other players having to play a factor is the biggest thing going for him.

He has a similar Norris record to others that also missed the list for me: Keith, Doughty, Rob Blake. No significant Hart consideration. Good, but not all that noteworthy longevity considering the scope of the project (compared to Bourque, Lidstrom, Chelios, even Chara to date).

Actually his numbers stack up pretty close to that of Rob Blake. Similar GP, similar scoring totals, 1 Norris win with a handful of top 5's. Blake also won his cup playing 2nd fiddle to a better defenceman, though that could be debated considering Bourque's age and how Blake performed in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Macho Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad