Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (The Sequel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Continued from here: Top 100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread II

• Eligibility
    • Players will be judged only on their performance as hockey players
    • Currently active players are eligible, but will be judged only on what they have already accomplished
    • No, I don’t know what to do with Connor McDavid either
  • Preliminary Discussion Thread
    • Anyone may participate in this thread, even if he or she does not intend to take part in the voting round
    • Posters are encouraged to share information about players in this thread and to take information shared into account when constructing their own lists
    • For instance, did you know Roy McGiffin was in the fruit business during the off-season? Not that I am implying that he should be ranked on the viability of his Californian fruit
    • Brief comparisons between players are permitted, but detailed cases and debates should be saved for the voting round
    • Please do not rank players outright in the preliminary thread
  • Voting
    • Round 1
      • All participants submit a list of 120 players ranked in order, with all positions included
      • All eras are to be considered
      • To make it easier to aggregate the submitted lists, please list players using their most commonly used name; e.g. Tim Thomas, not Timothy Thomas Jr.; Justin Williams, not Justinus Septum Williams
      • Lists may be submitted via PM to quoipourquoi
      • Deadline for list submission is September 30
      • Players will be assigned a point value on each list based on ranking. A 1st-place vote is equal to 120 points. A 2nd-place vote is equal to 119 points. A 120th-place vote is equal to 1 point.
      • An aggregate list will be compiled ranking them in order of the most total points
      • Participants must submit a list in Round 1 to be eligible to vote in Round 2
    • Round 2
      • The top-10 ranked players from the aggregate list will be posted in a thread
      • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
      • Player merits and rankings will be open for discussion and debate for a period of five days. Administrators may extend the discussion period if it remains active
      • Final voting will occur for two days via PM. A 1st-Place vote is equal to 10 points. A 2nd-Place vote is equal to 9 points. A 10th-Place vote is equal to 1 point.
      • The top-5 players will be added to the final list, unless people start booing because of a clear break in voting after the top-4 players, at which point we might agree to hold someone back for the next round because I easily succumb to peer pressure and will go along with whatever you want
      • The exception is in Vote 1 in which only 4 players (#1-4) will be added and in Vote 21 in which only 1 player will be added (#100) because we like to do things arbitrarily for dramatic effect
      • The process repeats until we have a list of 100 players
      • Failure to retain an acceptable level of discussion may lead to an abbreviated list of no fewer than 25 players
  • Quality Assurance
    • Lists will be subject to an evaluation process
    • This is not meant to deter participation; we merely want to ensure that voters are considering all eras of hockey's history
    • The complete voting record of every participant will be released at the end of the project
    • Any attempts to derail a discussion thread with disrespect to old-time hockey will be met with frontier justice
    • We encourage interpositional discussion (forward vs. defenseman vs. goaltender) as opposed to the safer and somewhat redundant intrapositional debates. Overemphasizing a tired single-position argument like, I don’t know, Harvey/Lidstrom, will only be briefly tolerated before one is asked to move on to a less tedious comparison.
    • Take a drink when someone mentions the number of hockey registrations in a given era
    • Finish your drink when someone mentions that goaltenders cannot be compared to skaters

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Wonder how many participants there will be. Judging from the first thread there's a LOT of people looking to participate, which would be great. The larger the sample the better the results.

Spoiler alert - Gretzky will be ranked #1.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
As of now:

1. Bobby Orr
10. Howie Morenz
20 Sergei Makarov
30. Bryan Trottier
40. Peter Forsberg
50. Bill Durnan

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Sedinery's

1. Duh
10. Patrick Roy
20. Jacques Plante
30. Denis Potvin
40. Bryan Trottier
50. Evgeni Malkin

I have Duh lower, Roy lower, Plante lower, Potvin higher, Trottier higher, Malkin higher.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Teaser

1.Gordie Howe
2.Wayne Gretzky
3.Bobby Orr
4.Mario Lemieux

Honestly my list is not fixed enough yet to tell you my exact 30th or 50th or whatever.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Sedinery's

1. Duh
10. Patrick Roy
20. Jacques Plante
30. Denis Potvin
40. Bryan Trottier
50. Evgeni Malkin

I have Duh lower, Roy lower, Plante lower, Potvin higher, Trottier higher, Malkin higher.
I certainly realized that I was much lower on all the Islanders players than everyone else. This is going to require some analysis, I want to make sure I don't hold a subconscious grudge from 1982, when I was 6 years from being born.

Reactions: The Macho Man

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have Roy lower, Clarke lower, Lindsay higher, Richard lower.
GAH somehow I missed Lindsay on my list.

Hey, I'm going to tinker right up until deadline. Who knows what it will look like then (although the top 18-20 are pretty well set).
My 5-10 could shift around a bit. I never got comfortable saying who the fifth best player of all time was because I think there are a lot of guys with great arguments.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I certainly realized that I was much lower on all the Islanders players than everyone else. This is going to require some analysis, I want to make sure I don't hold a subconscious grudge from 1982, when I was 6 years from being born.

in my experience (ftr, i hadn't had my first birthday yet when we beat chicago in the campbell's finals), canucks fans tend to overrate bossy because he destroyed king richard after king richard looked unbeatable for three rounds.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
1 - Wayne Gretzky
10 - Dominik Hasek
20 - Denis Potvin
30 - Slava Fetisov
40 - Bryan Trottier
50 - François Xavier Boucher

So far, out of 50 :
9 G
14D