Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (Citizens on Patrol)

Where is your list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It was by position. So I had something like

D : Orr, Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom (...)
W : Howe, Hull, Richard, Jagr (...)
C : Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Crosby (...)
G : Roy, Hasek, Plante, Brodeur (...)

1 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Greztky and Roy? Greztky
2 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Orr
3 - Who is the best between Harvey, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Howe
4 - Who is the best between Harvey, Hull, Lemieux and Roy? Lemieux

(up until 120).

Probably not the best way to do it, but possibly the best way to not get completely mad around mid-point, and should've been foolproof against omissions (Joliat missing was a C+P gone wrong)

That's for the process.

That was my intention as well until realized I didn't have much time left.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I started positionally as well. What helped me a lot in the end though was that Hockey News Top 50 players per team magazine. I went by team. Obviously a few teams were left out but I found this helped me a lot for older more established teams.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
As much as people’s rankings, I am curious about people’s methods.
Great question! Seemed to engage a lot of us! (Well timed, too!!)

Okay, like many others, I did that 'positional' thing... but the matter of how I got to the players used for conducting the interpositional comparisons was the more time consuming task.

Started with the Hockey Hall of Fame. Divided the inductees into three parts- 1) upper-division (obvious), 2) main-line, 3) lower division/borderline. All obvious Hall-of-Famers, come on down! All lower-division ones- kicked to the curb. [Main-line H-o-Fers were set aside for additional scrutiny.]

Added to the mix all of the unconscionably undervalued non-NHL Europeans that have yet to be inducted. Added to that lot (what I consider to be) the best of the recently retired/not yet Hall-eligible players and current players, but tended to exercise extreme caution and conservatism for such players (e.g.: no Karlsson or Toews [and of course not McDavid]).

Made my list by position- and noted that I looked a little light on goaltenders. Added some and trimmed from other places (mostly Center). Got to the point where I was comfortable with the mix by position. Made a list that took me deep into the 130s... and began the sometimes painful process of winnowing.

Then, I did that positional thing and generated a ranking for 120. As a final QC-check, I looked at the players through the time-span lens to see if there was any period I wasn't weighting properly. Found that I was light on '60s players. Made three significant adds there.

I have a little buyers remorse over omitting a couple of names from the ultra-early days of Hockey. Still I feel like I did all right for a maiden-effort.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I just noticed a couple of stupid mistakes with my list, beyond its original madness.

An error on Excel disqualified Niedermayer from the get go.I would've ranked him somewhere if I had caught it in time.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
An error on Excel disqualified Niedermayer from the get go.I would've ranked him somewhere if I had caught it in time.
I think he'll be up for voting consideration anyways.
I have him at 91st and am eager to argue the case for him.
I was a bigger Pronger fan than Nieds fan, but the debate as to which was better was a lively and interesting one for many years.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
...I think this one's closer to correct, though:
207 players total
48 players on every list
one of these was right on.
Called it!

Looking ahead to Round 2 Vote 1, where I'll pursue my quixotic endeavor of attempting to lift Lemieux out of the 4-hole. I come with the knowledge that I'll be walking into a stiff headwind on that one, though. Funny thing about Vote 2, though- I think there's a clear 'next-3' among skaters... but I'm not that emotionally invested in their order, as long as they're all there. The X-factor will be- is your top goalie in that mix? Mine is!

I worry that by vote 3, we'll need to pass out the radiation-suits. I suspect the opinion-divergences will really come out at that time.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Take the weekend off.

The plan all along was to have a one week turnaround time on the QC process before beginning the next round. That would mean Monday at the earliest.

420.gif

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Called it!

Looking ahead to Round 2 Vote 1, where I'll pursue my quixotic endeavor of attempting to lift Lemieux out of the 4-hole. I come with the knowledge that I'll be walking into a stiff headwind on that one, though. Funny thing about Vote 2, though- I think there's a clear 'next-3' among skaters... but I'm not that emotionally invested in their order, as long as they're all there. The X-factor will be- is your top goalie in that mix? Mine is!

I worry that by vote 3, we'll need to pass out the radiation-suits. I suspect the opinion-divergences will really come out at that time.
Honestly vote 1 is going to bore me. Those arguments have been hashed out hundreds of times, and I doubt anyone moves.

Vote 2 is where this gets sexy IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad