Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Aggregate List

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I think it's pretty obvious on who the other 2 posters are.
Yes, it certainly is, lol.

As I was reading through the list the other night when I first saw it, I was shaking my head, but thought, ‘at least that diehard Russian Wings’ fan kind of balances out that diehard old timer Habs’ fan’

Reactions: Sentinel

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Your best skater, passer, puck carrier, and smartest player play defense in my opinion...even if I have to move you there and train you myself after every practice...therefore, I assume that the best d-men are the best players...
I don’t disagree. The amount of scrambling I watched the Wings go through the season after Lids retired was a stark contrast to the composure that he brought to 30minutes of each game beforehand.

I wish that that position was more well-repped in Hart voting.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Stats for offense. No stats for defense. If you got pluses for good defensive plays the world would look mighty different, wouldn't it? You get pluses for an offensive play, minus for a defensive play. That's why video is so important, talent evaluation is so important to the process. Regret that I couldn't do more with it than bark at Shore and Richard haha

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think that there should be a definite gap between Clapper & Seibert, but not as much as it was during the voting. I had Clapper at #99 and Seibert #107 in my original list. I underrated both players, but I do think that Clapper had the better career.

... With regards, there's pretty much no gap between 99 and 107 :)
And I do think Clapper HAS to be a bit ahead of Seibert, though that's mostly due to how his scoring ended up not being totally depressed by Nels Stewart (... though it's worth noting Clapper was outscored by better playoff performer, non Top-120 and actual key player of Cup-Winning squad Marty Barry). Clapper was more well rounded than Barry, but pretty much equivalent to Seibert (as forward).

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but I gotta say.. Happy Birthday Danny Gallivan (would have been 102 today).

1704050871_4055118101001_video-still-for-video-4054876833001.jpg

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Stats for offense. No stats for defense.
That, and the manner by which defensemen get recognized for their greatness too. A forward puts up a 120 point season early on and people say "he's a Hall of Famer or better if he keeps this up", a defenseman keeps doing his thing and people realize at some point that he hasn't made a mistake in 15 years.
I've noticed an uptick in chatter about "generational talents" on Twitter - maybe because people are wondering if the Devils will get one in Hughes - and nobody's naming any defensemen except Orr. Part of this definitely has to do with a lack of understanding of what they contributed past the hockey card number, part of it has to do with the difficulty conceiving that a guy like Nick Lidstrom "defined" an era of any kind, because nobody really took notice that he was in the process of doing it. The same applies to Bourque.
And I think those two factors work together as well - if there were any pure defensive stats that held water and made sense to the average person, you'd hear about 20 year old defensemen taking the league by storm with unprecedented acumen at their age.

Reactions: seventieslord

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Is there a particular reason most of the 30's era seems to get low recognition? (L. Conacher, B. Siebert, E. Goodfellow for instance)

Lionel Conacher was a football player first and foremost and never a stand out hockey player in the sense that he never carried a team or won much positional fame. I also think he played lacrosse and baseball, typical jack of all sports athlete. Also wrestled and did some boxing, apparently lost a match against Jack Dempsey.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Stats for offense. No stats for defense.

I think that helps marquee defensemen more than it hurts them. No objective measure of a dip in performance relative to other defensemen, so if the reputation is already high, it’s easier to grab one of four available All-Star selections even if a lesser-heralded defenseman might have been better at prevention in a given year. Forwards and goaltenders are much more vulnerable to having players with less star power knock them off their pedestal due to the objective statistics. And then because there’s literally double the All-Star selections available to them, star defensemen have less gaps in the resume than star forwards or star goaltenders.

Reactions: blogofmike

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
There are some names that I'm surprised to see.
Steven Stamkos
Shea Weber
Carey Price
Mats Sundin

I wouldn't have ranked Weber myself but his resume is good, and he had a really strong reputation for quite a few years. 4x all star and five times top 4 in Norris voting over a period of seven years, including ending up 2nd twice losing by just a hair against Karlsson and Lidstrom (damn Swedes!). That's good stuff.

I think his playoffs are a disappointment, though.

Stamkos career has to play out I feel like, playoffs coming up the next few years will matter greatly if he enters the conversation for real next time around. Not likely IMO, though.

Sundin...you'd have to put a heavy emphasis on longevity, consistency and international play I feel like. Love what he did for Team Sweden but...no.

Don't see it with Price personally.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There are some names that I'm surprised to see.
Steven Stamkos
Shea Weber
Carey Price
Mats Sundin

I'll admit I was super biased when it came to my #120 pick. And I intended to be all along. I wanted to finish off with someone who was meaningful to me, not just another random player i didn't care about. And so I picked Carey Price (big fan of his). Maybe in retrospect he shouldn't be as high as #120 - but I do value his peak and olympic success very highly, so it's also not too out of left field, and I feel I could justify it and argue him above other players i had close.

I think I was a bit too high on Weber though. I do think he's underrated - and might be one of the most shocking defenseman to not have a Norris (he was seen as the best D in the world for quite a few years - 5 top 4 Norris finishes). Still - 116, he probably shouldn't have made the final cut.

I think when my round 1 list comes up you'll see there's quite a few more modern players i was initially quite high on. I think I definitely like my round 2 votes better.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
So I'm highest on:

Brimsek
Vezina
Benedict
Broda
Esposito
Parent
Holecek
Worters
Smith
Lehman
Thompson
Worsley
Barrasso

Starting to see a trend... :)

I would have thought I had a bias for defensive forwards and defensemen, but apparently goalies are my thing...

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I'm pretty surprised I had Ullman higher than seventieslord did in round 1.
Not seeking to re-litigate... but Ullman excluded and Joe Thornton safely aboard seems kind-of dissonant. [Me- I wasn't particularly enamored of either...]
A little surprised I was the only one with Marty Barry on my list, but it's not like he really had a shot of making the top 100 anyway.
I had an extra look at the whole "singularities" thing. 25 players received lone mentions. As can be imagined, more contributors HAD singularities (19) than didn't (13).

Thought exercise- quick, without peeking, who do you think had the most singularities? [That's all right, my instinct was wrong, too.] Was it @Canadiens1958 , naming somebody like Jacques Laperriere? [No, that would be @Art of Sedinery ] or Marcel Pronovost? [No, that would be @VanIslander ]? Nope, he only had one- and it was Nikolai Sologubov(!) Was it @Sentinel? Again no. He had Starshinov & Nedomanský (and his fellow two-spotter @Dr John Carlson had Kasatanov & B. Hextall).

@ehhedler had three singularities: Jack Walker, Mickey McKay, and Hakan Loob.
@pappyline also had three sigularities: Roy Conacher, P. Thompson (the Claude Giroux of his era, I quipped), and Litzenberger.

Some yet-to-be-known person who rated
Pospíšil 111th saved me from having a singularity.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
@ehhedler had three singularities: Jack Walker, Mickey McKay, and Hakan Loob.

I see you tagged me here but I didn't get any notification! W-w-w-what's up with that!?

In hindsight I feel I could have listed Fredrickson instead of McKay, he's got a longer resume than I first thought, despite flying around in Ismailia and Aboukir for way too long.

That's a good trivia question actually. Only known hockey player to be caught on camera wearing a fez?

6192826536_c69473a59f_b.jpg

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Stats for offense. No stats for defense. If you got pluses for good defensive plays the world would look mighty different, wouldn't it? You get pluses for an offensive play, minus for a defensive play. That's why video is so important, talent evaluation is so important to the process. Regret that I couldn't do more with it than bark at Shore and Richard haha

I agree that video footage would help out even more in these type of projects for Defensemen & Goaltenders.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I see you tagged me here but I didn't get any notification! W-w-w-what's up with that!?

In hindsight I feel I could have listed Fredrickson instead of McKay, he's got a longer resume than I first thought, despite flying around in Ismailia and Aboukir for way too long.

That's a good trivia question actually. Only known hockey player to be caught on camera wearing a fez?

6192826536_c69473a59f_b.jpg

He looks a lot like old Saku.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad