Top 100 Forwards in the NHL

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
If Matthews played wing for McDavid and shot 20% he'd put up a monster season too. Sadly, his most common line mates last year were Johnsson, Marleau, Kapanen, and a struggling Nylander. Matthews is basically what Oilers fans claim Drai is.. A big, elite #1 C who can carry his own line.

Since you cannot prove that Matthews would play like Drai can with McDavid I will go on to say that Matthews is being over rated in this list.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You can’t put two elite players together and assume they gonna click. It’s all about chemistry. Nothing garantee Matthews would be as much successful as Drasaitl on Mcdavid’s wing.

Since you cannot prove that Matthews would play like Drai can with McDavid I will go on to say that Matthews is being over rated in this list.

I guess if we ignore the proof we have of their amazing chemistry with Matthews playing winger for McDavid..

All before he even played a second in the NHL

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Ovechkin: Scores 89 points in 81 games, point per game of 1.10, while playing almost exclusively with Evgeny Kuznetsov who is widely considered one of the best playmakers in the league, is placed 4th on this list.
Matthews: Scores 73 points in 68 games, point per game of 1.07, while playing primarily with a handful of middle six calibre wingers, is placed 10th on this list.

Ovechkin also played 3 more minutes a night and they both had around 57% o-zone starts so don't feed me that bullshit narrative that Matthews isn't as trusted defensively.

If Matthews is too high on this list, then so is Ovechkin. At this point I wouldn't even place Ovechkin ahead of Matthews.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin: Scores 89 points in 81 games, point per game of 1.10, while playing almost exclusively with Evgeny Kuznetsov who is widely considered one of the best playmakers in the league, is placed 4th on this list.

Kuznetsov got concussed and did not play well this season - not to the level he's capable of anyway.

Ovechkin lead his team in goals and points by large margins. Matthews had large deficits to other players on his own team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not a bad list.

Not sure how Crosby over Kucherov could possibly be justified.
Yeah kuch number 2 quite easily. Im not sure crosby clocks in at 3 anymore either. Maybe maybe not.

Draisaitl down 30 or 40 spots.

Bergeron and marchand can switch spots. Bergeron drives that line not marchand.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I’m not sure how Matthews cracks the top 10 if you ignore potential. He’s a PPG type player right now. That’s not top 10 imo. If you take into account potential then I can see it.
For example, how is he ahead of Drai and Tavares who are the two guys right after him on the list. To me it looks like you’re taking into account potential.
73 points in 68 games..... not ppg???

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Fair enough, except Matthews being overrated AGAIN

Didn’t prove anything yet and he’s ahead of the likes of Draisatl, Bergeron, Tavares, Gaudreau and Barkov whose had career year and played to their actual potentials ? Lol okay..

Plus, I have no problem with Sid at #2. The guy is 31, just put up 100 points, while playing at Selke level and literally carried his team on his back last season. Not to mention that he outpointed guys in their prime like Mackinnon, Gaudreau, Barkov, Matthews, Marner, Rantanen just to name a few.
Hes far better than those guys.

Other than maybe mackinnon. Bergeron too maybe but hes a little long in the tooth.

Draisaitl is hot trash when not stapled to mcdavid.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Hes far better than those guys.

Other than maybe mackinnon. Bergeron too maybe but hes a little long in the tooth.

Draisaitl is hot trash when not stapled to mcdavid.

How can a player be « hot trash » when he scores 50 goals and 105 points?? Playing with McDavid does help his offensive production but you still need talent to put up those numbers. Give credit where credit is due

Reactions: flying v 604

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Matthews: Scores 73 points in 68 games, point per game of 1.07, while playing primarily with a handful of middle six calibre wingers, is placed 10th on this list.

Ovechkin also played 3 more minutes a night and they both had around 57% o-zone starts so don't feed me that bull**** narrative that Matthews isn't as trusted defensively.

If Matthews is too high on this list, then so is Ovechkin. At this point I wouldn't even place Ovechkin ahead of Matthews.

Kuznetsov was barely 70 pt player, he wasn't very good this season. Ovi's playmaking is also among best in league. Kuznetsov was trash this season and Ovi hit 1.10 ppg.

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018

Ovechkin also played 3 more minutes a night and they both had around 57% o-zone starts so don't feed me that bull**** narrative that Matthews isn't as trusted defensively.

Lol Matthews can’t hold Ovechkin’s jock. When Matthews gonna score 50 goals and 90 points then we might have a conversation. There’s absolutely no argument to favor Matthews over Ovechkin right now

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
I guess if we ignore the proof we have of their amazing chemistry with Matthews playing winger for McDavid..

All before he even played a second in the NHL

They showed some good flashes together, but there’s a difference between a World Cup tournament and a 82 games season. Completely different ball game

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m not sure how Matthews cracks the top 10 if you ignore potential. He’s a PPG type player right now. That’s not top 10 imo. If you take into account potential then I can see it.
For example, how is he ahead of Drai and Tavares who are the two guys right after him on the list. To me it looks like you’re taking into account potential.

Top 5 goals. 1 behind 3rd playing 30 less
Games than the top 5.

If we go by goals per game. He is 2nd in the league. .02 gpg. Behind winger ovechkin

C who scores like ovy is a top 10 player.

Think of how good you think Peterson is.......

Then make him much better and a 40 goal scorer as a rookie.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Top 5 goals. 1 behind 3rd playing 30 less
Games than the top 5.

If we go by goals per game. He is 2nd in the league. .02 gpg. Behind winger ovechkin

C who scores like ovy is a top 10 player.

Think of how good you think Peterson is.......

Then make him much better and a 40 goal scorer as a rookie.
Nope. Not buying it. No one with a career high of 73 points should be in the top 10 based on results. Even taking into account injuries. Now if you want to base it on potential then fill your boots. I think he should be there or very close based on potential. But the OP specifically said it was based on the past three years results. And clearly that does not put AM in the top ten forwards.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Kucherov should be #1 @RedWingzz

You can put forth a strong argument for Kucherov at #2, and it appears that I am in fact in the minority of having Crosby ahead of Kucherov. I'll tell you right now I stand by my initial list having Crosby ahead of Kuch, and I absolutely love Kuch. If I can add one player to my team for a playoff run, I still add Crosby over Kucherov. I know that's not how I originally made my list, but I stand by Crosby at 2 and Kuch at 3, although it is very close.

McDavid is 1 though, and in my opinion there is not even a conversation to be had, and again, I absolutely love the way Kucherov plays.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Don't understand how Eichel who has a higher ppg the last 3 seasons is 12 slots below Matthews. Not saying Eichel should be top 10 but he should be within 2-3 slots in either direction compared to Matthews.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nope. Not buying it. No one with a career high of 73 points should be in the top 10 based on results. Even taking into account injuries. Now if you want to base it on potential then fill your boots. I think he should be there or very close based on potential. But the OP specifically said it was based on the past three years results. And clearly that does not put AM in the top ten forwards.

Ummmm yep top 5 in goals over 3 years. As a C. Easy argument to make.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Honestly pretty good list imo, definitley better than what The Hockey News will put out. My first thought is that Huberdeau is too low.

Ranking 100 players is hard

Reactions: RedWingzz

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Fair enough, except Matthews being overrated AGAIN

Didn’t prove anything yet and he’s ahead of the likes of Draisatl, Bergeron, Tavares, Gaudreau and Barkov whose had career year and played to their actual potentials ? Lol okay..

Plus, I have no problem with Sid at #2. The guy is 31, just put up 100 points, while playing at Selke level and literally carried his team on his back last season. Not to mention that he outpointed guys in their prime like Mackinnon, Gaudreau, Barkov, Matthews, Marner, Rantanen just to name a few.
Matthews is the 2nd best goal scorer in the league.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
You can put forth a strong argument for Kucherov at #2, and it appears that I am in fact in the minority of having Crosby ahead of Kucherov. I'll tell you right now I stand by my initial list having Crosby ahead of Kuch, and I absolutely love Kuch. If I can add one player to my team for a playoff run, I still add Crosby over Kucherov. I know that's not how I originally made my list, but I stand by Crosby at 2 and Kuch at 3, although it is very close.

McDavid is 1 though, and in my opinion there is not even a conversation to be had, and again, I absolutely love the way Kucherov plays.

I'm sorry but that opinion is ridicolous. Kucherov has the most points from any points since the 1990's this season and won the Art Ross Lindsay and Hart in a rout, and would have done the exact same last season but he fell off in the last 10 games. To say there is no discussion that he isn't the league's best player is giving into the cult like mentality around McDavid which also existed for Sid before, where no matter how good a player was the cult mentality would say but but they are nowhere as good as Crosby. Now it's but but they are nowhere as good as McDavid. It's absurd to have 128 points and still have this kind of cult mentality prevailing.

In a point for point basis 228 points in last 2 years for Kucherov, 224 points in 2 years for McDavid. Kucherov has the clear edge.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'm sorry but that opinion is ridicolous. Kucherov has the most points from any points since the 1990's this season and won the Art Ross Lindsay and Hart in a rout, and would have done the exact same last season but he fell off in the last 10 games. To say there is no discussion that he isn't the league's best player is giving into the cult like mentality around McDavid which also existed for Sid before, where no matter how good a player was the cult mentality would say but but they are nowhere as good as Crosby. Now it's but but they are nowhere as good as McDavid. It's absurd to have 128 points and still have this kind of cult mentality prevailing.

People are allowed to have opinions around here that differ from yours WITHOUT you ascribing it to a "cult like mentality". Understood?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Every year Bergeron outplays Matthews and every year Matthews gets ranked ahead of him on 'potential'. Can't wait for TSN to do it for the 3rd year in a row despite Bergeron bouncing him when it counts. At what point is it time to put up, or shut up?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Kuznetsov was barely 70 pt player, he wasn't very good this season. Ovi's playmaking is also among best in league. Kuznetsov was trash this season and Ovi hit 1.10 ppg.
70 points...Matthews played with 40 point guys.

Yea Ovies linemates are trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad