Top 100 for 2008 NHL draft

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
allard had a better rookie season than adam imo. but what im saying is that just because allard broke out the next year you think adam will. even though he is still young, how can you rank him as one of the top prospects for the nhl draft after those numbers.

Look dont judge a player adam had a small role on the team and had limited ice time he did good i thought.

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
velischek is a late 1990, hes 2009 eligible. hes playing nj colonials aaa midget major and for delbarton school. the colonials are supposedly a stcked midget team this year, and should have no problem making it to nationals, if all the players they have stay on the team. im pretty sure he plans to finish his junior year of high school next year, then head off to the ushl.
QUOTE]

I am surprised that he is playing another year of midget. Any chance he will go to Sioux City's training camp to see if he could make the team?

In terms of Matt White, he is going to have to prove he can play without Bourque and Broc Little, because I don't know if Cushing is going to have the firepower they always seem to have, but you never know.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on what the top 100 prospects for the 2008 NHL draft might look like? i could probably make a list of notables from the QMJHL, but not the other CHL leagues or Europe.

Here is a list of who I think fit into the top 100 from the QMJHL

Kelsey Tessier
Chris Doyle
Yann Sauve
Kevin Poulin
Joel Champagne
Allan Clow
Jordan Southorn
Mark Barberio
Dannick Paquette
Maxime Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Phillipe Cornet
Alexandre Neron
Jordan Caron
Pascal Amyot
Luke Adam
Shaun Mortin boutin
Samuel Morneau
Philip Devos

I am sure I am missing 3 or 4 but I think I have most of them. By the way, that list is in no particular order. Look forward to seeing what anyone might come up with for the top 100 overall

Lemieux from Shawinigan is an awesome prospect

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Can't think of many yet, when is zach boychucks draft year? how about dwight king?

From portland keep an eye on Bo Montgomery and Thomas Frazee(if he returns). They both showed flashes of what they could become, Montgomery played only 1/2 year and was probably the hawks best defenseman and improved with every game.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
i think mcrae will have a big year, dont know if he'll end up in teh top 15 though. i think zach bogosian will be there though. i heard sam lofquist had a good year on defense with the ntdp. i think guys like saponari and czarnik could move with the coaching change and more offensive freedom. also mike cichy could also be thrown in the mix, but its unkown now where he'll end up.

What coaching change? In the past the U17s coach moves up with the team to the 18s and the previous 18s coach takes over the incoming 17s.

Of the top-tier candidates, Wilson will be playing against older NCAA competition all season. A strong year could vault him into the top 10. Conversely.....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i think mcrae will have a big year, dont know if he'll end up in teh top 15 though. i think zach bogosian will be there though. i heard sam lofquist had a good year on defense with the ntdp. i think guys like saponari and czarnik could move with the coaching change and more offensive freedom. also mike cichy could also be thrown in the mix, but its unkown now where he'll end up.

thanks, I forgot about Bogosian, he is a pretty good prospect too right now, I dont feel that he will beat out McRae in draft position though..IMO. McRae has a lot of weapons, and if Kane or Gagner leave, he will step up bigtime in their place. and I also agree that Lofquist should be one of the USNTDP that hits in the first round. Should be another good year for the Yanks.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Colin Wilson was the pivot on the top line for the NTDP with James van Riemsdyk and Jordan Schroeder during the IIHF U-18 WC. He tied with JvR for the tournament lead in scoring and finished 1pt behind JvR w/ 74pts on the season. He seems to be developing into a top 15 pick for the '08 draft.

I definitely agree with that. I think Hayes and Wahl are ahead of Wilson right now, and McRae is a little ahead IMO.. I know stats dont prove it with McRae, but thats what we have an entire year to show. Colin is an amazing talent and I think can be top 10 too, just needs to continue working on his overall game and he should be fine..

The name that makes me drool the most is Jordan Schroeder!! This kid is going to be dynamite. I know about Tavares and the Swede Hedman are #1 and #2 right now, but this kid is going to give both a run for their money. Again not saying he is going to be #1 so dont freak out Tavares lovers, just saying the kid can compete at an extremely high level and can get some serious recognition for 09'. Another one who I love is Sam Calabrese. I know some are down on him, but again I feel when it is said and done he will be in top 5 contention with Schroeder for one of the best drafts in a long time..IMO.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
From the 'dub:

Mitch Wahl
Luke Schenn
Kyle Beach
Jordan Eberle
Colton Teubert
Tyler Schmidt
Zach Boychuk

Could all be picked very high.

From my Chiefs, add in Mike Reddington and Dustin Tokarski...with a good season, either could go as high as round 1, but both should be picked at some point.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
from the OHL:
Stamkos
Arniel
Hodgson
Moon
Pietrangelo
Del Zotto
Bogosian
Doughty

maybe Brian Shaw? he is a local kid from around here, 16 years old and 6'4 with great skating, a defenceman for the Erie Otters.... could be a decent pick in the mid to late rounds, he will step up his game a lot more next year, guaranteed. watch for him

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
What coaching change? In the past the U17s coach moves up with the team to the 18s and the previous 18s coach takes over the incoming 17s.

Of the top-tier candidates, Wilson will be playing against older NCAA competition all season. A strong year could vault him into the top 10. Conversely.....

to my understanding hynes coached the u-17 team last year, and rolston will coach them as u-18s this coming season.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
velischek is a late 1990, hes 2009 eligible. hes playing nj colonials aaa midget major and for delbarton school. the colonials are supposedly a stcked midget team this year, and should have no problem making it to nationals, if all the players they have stay on the team. im pretty sure he plans to finish his junior year of high school next year, then head off to the ushl.
QUOTE]

I am surprised that he is playing another year of midget. Any chance he will go to Sioux City's training camp to see if he could make the team?

In terms of Matt White, he is going to have to prove he can play without Bourque and Broc Little, because I don't know if Cushing is going to have the firepower they always seem to have, but you never know.

even if velishek did make the sioux, i think he will stay in new jersey for another year then head out. most of the kids on the delbarton hockey team are pretty loyal to the school. most of them will be playing together on the colonials. from what i hear about the roster, there are several kids that could be playing junior a hockey, but have made a commitment to high school. its mostly a collection of the devils and rockets midget minor teams last year, and some big names from the atlantic district that havent left.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
from the OHL:
Stamkos
Arniel
Hodgson
Moon
Pietrangelo
Del Zotto
Bogosian
Doughty

maybe Brian Shaw? he is a local kid from around here, 16 years old and 6'4 with great skating, a defenceman for the Erie Otters.... could be a decent pick in the mid to late rounds, he will step up his game a lot more next year, guaranteed. watch for him

What about Gaulton from Erie? He played with Kidd and they made a formidable first pairing. He looked smooth, steady, and didn't mind contact. What's scary is I can see him being just as good as a Shattenkirk, Petrecki who are ranked in the first round now (and he isnt even in the top 3 for 2008 OHL D).

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
From the 'dub:

Mitch Wahl
Luke Schenn
Kyle Beach
Jordan Eberle
Colton Teubert
Tyler Schmidt
Zach Boychuk

Could all be picked very high.

From my Chiefs, add in Mike Reddington and Dustin Tokarski...with a good season, either could go as high as round 1, but both should be picked at some point.

Nice list, Schmidt reminds me of Bourdon. Physical, can skate, and has some good offensive gifts from the backend.

I hope it doesn't happen, but one of Schenn/Teubert is giving me Tyson Dowzak vibes...

Meischder

Apr 22, 2007
I know. But Mark Mieritz or Sebastian Svendsen are better than Eller was when he was 15. They should be drafted even higher...

I have seen they play for Frölunda next year and they will drafted 2009. I'm surprised from the danish juniors.

Who are the best german prospect in 2008?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Nice list, Schmidt reminds me of Bourdon. Physical, can skate, and has some good offensive gifts from the backend.

I hope it doesn't happen, but one of Schenn/Teubert is giving me Tyson Dowzak vibes...

Not going to be Schenn. He was better in his 16 yo year two seasons ago than Dowzak is now. Schenn is already light years ahead of Dowzak despite being a year and a half younger. Should be an easy first round pick, and could even be a possible top 5 if he can improve his quickness a little. Hits like a truck, already shows signs of physical dominance down low, intelligent in his own zone, smart with the puck although it isn't his strength, relied on in all situations and is already a leader on his team at 17, and his offensive upside seems to be a little better than initially thought. His mobility definitely needs work as is the case with most young guys his size, but he has a nice stride and is very strong on his skates. With a little more agility/footspeed and improved ability to make that turn, he should be capable of becoming a high end bruising defensive defenseman that is competent in the offensive zone and with the puck. Not a guy who will carry it out like an Ellerby, but he certainly can make a good quick smart outlet pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->