Top 10 teams with the darkest future 2018

Who will be the least successful over the next 5 years. Pick 10.

• Total voters

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This is a sister poll to: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/top-10-teams-with-the-brightest-future-2018.2523729/

Once they've run their course, I will put together a summary overview.

Pretty simple - what teams do you see having the least success over the next 5 years. You can pick 10 teams.

By darkest, I mean perennial under underachievers, teams in the bottom 5, teams that have little chance of contending.

I do not mean "relative to right now, who will struggle". This isn't a poll to say "I think San Jose will have a few more contending years then crash and burn", more like "who will have the fewest total points over the next 5 seasons".

Consider things like
  • Contracts and the cap
  • Prospects and development time
  • Aging core players
  • Looming retirements

Winnipeg fans, since you are dominating the brightest futures poll, I have left you off as the site only allows 30 options. Consider it a compliment.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Anaheim: After Getzlaf falls off, they’ll be relying on a lot of young D to step up. Not a whole lot in the way of promising forwards coming up.

Arizona: I just don’t see how they have a promising future, despite some decent young pieces.

Columbus: When Panarin leaves their offense will likely take a huge hit. They have Jones and Werenski on D which is awesome, but their forwards are all pretty underwhelming, though that’s not to say they don’t have some good pieces, just nothing that really stands out.

Dallas: Admittedly this one is assuming Seguin leaves, as I was running out of options. Only if Seguin leaves, I think their forward core is pretty weak outside of a couple guys, and I don’t think Heiskanen and Klingberg can carry their D.

Detroit: While I actually like a lot of their picks in recent years, I don’t know how much of an impact they’ll have in the next five seasons. I don’t think they’ll be out of the playoffs much longer than five years though.

Montreal: What a mess.

New Jersey: Hall is great, Hischier is awesome, but I don’t see the rest of their pieces standing out enough to make them a perennial playoff team in the next five seasons.

New York Rangers: Aging core, some decent prospects and young guys, not enough to be perennial playoff contenders in the next five seasons.

Ottawa: What a disaster.

San Jose: Aging core, impending UFAs or retirements, lackluster prospects.

Just my opinion, don’t mean to offend any fans by it.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
How in the hell are people picking Detroit NYR NYI Vancity etc..?? They suck now but building to be competitive teams. Dont really see a dark future for those teams AT ALL

Anyways i voted for 7 teams tho Minny may be a stretch to be included

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
LA

2nd oldest team in the NHL last year. I just see injuries and long term contracts of older players killing them

They have 7 players who are 30 years or older signed to long term deals.
Quick has 5 years left
Brown has 4 years left
Carter has 5 years left
Phaneuf has 3 years left

They are probably going to just sneak into the playoffs and trade more picks.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How in the hell are people picking Detroit NYR NYI Vancity etc..?? They suck now but building to be competitive teams. Dont really see a dark future for those teams AT ALL

Did you read the post? Just curious.

It states that you are looking at success over the next 5 years. Teams like NYI, NYR and DET all have bright 10 year futures, but for the next 2-3, I expect them to be under 500. So much so that it will be hard to catch the mediocre teams who sat around 500 during that time, in the 5 year limit.

Also asked that you vote 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ookhaab

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

10 is a bunch of teams. Once you get past the current usual suspects, it gets pretty difficult.

Plus, a solid prospect pool doesn’t always result in winning rebuild. Buffalo has had a “promising future” for over 5 years.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Its not horrible to pick those teams right now though since the poll is only for 5 years. I think all the teams you mentioned are building properly but in the next 5 years wont likely have much success. Vancouver and Detroit have been rebuilding for 2-4 seasons now (I think Van is pushing 4 and Detroit 2 but Van also has more pieces) but I dont really see either making much noise in the next 5 years and if they do, it will be towards the end of those 5 likely. Theyre both likely bottom feeders next year and it might start to up turn after that. Man, if Vancouver took Nylander, Ehlers, Fiala or Larkin over Virtanen they would be in amazing shape right now.

The rangers are one trade deadline into a rebuild and didnt even plan on rebuilding until midway through this season. They look like theyre planning to do it the right way but they have a long way to go. And the Islanders just lost their star player and while it looks like they mad ea couple good picks at the draft this year, those guys were still only mid first rounders and not top 5 guys.

They might be some of the teams with the brightest futures (especially Van and Det), but I think the brightest parts of those futures are outside of the 5 year window allotted here

Reactions: Critical91

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't choose ten, but I like the poll idea OP.

So without further ado....

Ottawa: I see no positives anytime soon. A gong show from the top down with a Scrooge for an owner, a head coach that overstays his shelf life, a GM that is the biggest yes man to the owner ever and a pedophile for an Assistant GM. Free Karlsson. What a tirefire.

Montreal: I legit feel bad for Shea Weber and Carey Price. They deserve better than being mismanaged by what I consider the worst GM in all of hockey: Marc Bergevin. Losing trade after trade, having no solid prospect depth (despite having a high draft pick this season), no center depth (but let's trade a center for a winger, our best prospect for a winger). But hey, at least they have GRIT AND CHARACTER in Andrew Shaw and Jordie Benn.

Anaheim: I have all three California teams picked for basically the same reason: an aging core with a so so prospect pool at best. That said, Anaheim is above San Jose and Los Angeles for one main reason: that defensive depth is good. They can churn prospects like what not. So why are they are on my list for darkest future? There's not much for forwards. Corey Perry is a shell of himself, Ryan Getzlaf while a stud, is only getting older. Losing Kesler will hurt.

San Jose: As mentioned above, they have some aging pieces in Burns, Pavelski, Thornton. Vlasic and Couture are also either over 30 or flirting with 30.

Los Angeles: As another poster noted, there are a lot of key pieces that are 30 or above and are locked long term. Combine that with a meh prospect group, which has been gutted due to off loading picks and prospects for playoff pushes, the Kings are going to be in for a world of hurt. Still, I really like Kopitar and Doughty.

The New York Rangers: Out of all the teams I chose, I think they have the brightest future because they are finally embracing a rebuild. Sure, they could have gotten more for McDonagh, but I liked what they did for the Rick Nash trade. They have some good young pieces, although they could use a high end draft pick. That said, the near future is going to hurt for awhile.

Detroit: Same as the Rangers, although I think their situation is even worse because they have some truly god awful contracts on that team. Henrik Zetterberg is slowly going to pasture. Another team that could use a high end talent.

Chicago: Wait. Tad. How can you put the three time Stanley Cup Champions, led by Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane as a team that will struggle for the next five years?

Plenty of reasons. Defensively, outside of Duncan Keith, their depth is putrid. Brent Seabrook is up there with Jonathan Toews for some of the worst contracts in the NHL. Toews hasn't eclipsed 60 points in a couple years now. He's earning 10.5 million a season.

Horrible trades due to cap crunch (Panarin for Saad, Hjarmalsson) have left the Blackhawks a bit short on depth. Yeah, they have some attractive pieces like DeBrincat and Boqvist (who I wanted the Oilers to target), but it's thin everywhere. Not only that, but bad contracts have saddled this team's core for the time to come. It was great they won those three cups though.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only core guys over 30 is Lundqvist and Zuccarello, probably one of the younger teams in the league next season.

Fair, you’re right. I still pick NYR because I think a lot of their current younger core is underwhelming. Specifically I don’t think they have ENOUGH of what they have to be a playoff team in the next 5 years. Assuming they’re committed to the full rebuild though, I think in 5 years they’ll be on the other list (most promising futures).

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
A year ago I guarantee Colorado is a Top 5 vote getter in this poll. Now they don't have a single vote to this point.

Goes to show it's hard to predict 5 years ahead (since it's often hard to predict a year ahead)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
A year ago I guarantee Colorado is a Top 5 vote getter in this poll. Now they don't have a single vote to this point.

Goes to show it's hard to predict 5 years ahead (since it's often hard to predict a year ahead)
Yep. Makes it more interesting too!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People forget that the Ducks have remained a cup/playoff contender pretty much every year since their cup win, 11 years ago.

Getz/Perry are getting old, but Murray has been really good at keeping his picks/prospects. Up front they got guys like Rakell, Steel, Lundestrom & Jones and their defence seems to be a never ending pipeline of good young players.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
People forget that the Ducks have remained a cup/playoff contender pretty much every year since their cup win, 11 years ago.

Getz/Perry are getting old, but Murray has been really good at keeping his picks/prospects. Up front they got guys like Rakell, Steel, Lundestrom & Jones and their defence seems to be a never ending pipeline of good young players.

Detroit made the playoffs for like 20 straight years or some insane number. Now they're also towards the top of this list. That's how this works.

Reactions: Ookhaab

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
As much as I dislike Bergevin more than anybody else, I'd say Ottawa is more of a mess. Timmins' recent drafts have been good with what he's been handed so there's some kind of hope within the next 2 or 3 years. assuming Bergevin will be gone and the new GM doesn't trade his draft picks. I don't like the way the Isles are going either or Arizona. Rangers and Hawks will strongly depend on their amateur scouting which I don't know enough about. The Wings are pretty strong in this department so I wouldn't worry so much.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Had to go with the Habs.

It's pretty simple, in order to get better you first have to admit you have a problem. They do not seem to understand, they have problems.

I like the Hawks but they'd be my second choice. I don't see anything to stop the free fall. And they still need to get to the bottom to start the turn around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->