Top 10 Swedish Hockey Players of All Time?

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Feds skillset was better then any player ever.The NHL has never seen a better skater period.Forward he was faster then everyone,backwards he was as fast as anyone..100 MPH slapshot.If you broke open a chemistry set and dumped in everything you need to make the perfect hockey player,Fedorov would come flying out of that test tube.
21 was great and its close, I no doubt give Forsberg the nod at being more physical.However when its said and done,Fedorov.
You're right, it's close between Forsberg and Fedorov but Foppa was still the better player at the end no matter how smarter, faster, stronger and on and on Fedorov was.

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
You're right, it's close between Forsberg and Fedorov but Foppa was still the better player at the end no matter how the smartest, the faster, the stronger and on and on Fedorov was.
What Forsberg was better at and to me this also matters is sitting in the pressbox injured all the time based on his style of play or just more fragile .
Give me a player who can lace em up 80 games a season all other things being equal,follow?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Difficult to determine who was greater. All 3 are extremely close.
Sundin could do more. Such a physical specimen, and a better two way player. Sedins had that "hockey players of the damned" thing going for them, though, and that great "Swedish Twins" commercial.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
What Forsberg was better at and to me this also matters is sitting in the pressbox injured all the time based on his style of play or just more fragile .
Give me a player who can lace em up 80 games a season all other things being equal,follow?
So what? The fact he was injured more often than not doesn't mean he was not the better player whenever he played.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Being the smartest and the best player is not the same thing at all. Igor Larionov was a really smart player too but he was far to be the best.

By the way Forsberg was really smart too.
Oh I'm not arguing fedorov was the best of all time. Nor the top 10. I'm just saying he was among the smartest, and there really wasnt anything he couldn't do.

Reactions: Sentinel

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Oh I'm not arguing fedorov was the best of all time. Nor the top 10. I'm just saying he was among the smartest, and there really wasnt anything he couldn't do.
Good for once today I agree with you. Indeed Fedorov was a very smart player and his skillset was among the very best.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Swedish players in the 70-80s and even early 90s would fare a lot better today because of the more skill oriented game and coaching used with euro players. Players like Patrik Sundstrom, Thomas Gradin, Bengt-Åke Gustafsson, K Nilsson, T Steen, H Loob, Mats Naslund, Tomas Jonsson to mention a few, were really great players. It is difficult making a list when players from earlier era had a tougher time making ground. Sundstrom was dominant already when 19 years old playing in national team. Vancouver fans are very aware of how smart and good Gradin was for instance. If going with so called eye test and compare players with their peers from each era I must say that some of the players from past were better than some of today's stars.

Last edited:

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
1. Lidstrom
2. Forsberg
3. Sundin
4. Lundqvist
5. Alfredsson
6. Zetterberg
7. Karlsson
8/9. Sedins
10. Backstrom

Lidstrom had the most dominant prime and greatest career accomplishments.
Forsberg had the best peak of any Swede.
Sundin has the greatest regular season numbers.
Lundqvist backstopped Sweden to a gold and silver; tremendous NHL resume.
Alfredsson led the gold medal team in scoring; has the second best regular season numbers.
Zetterberg's playoff and international resume is outstanding.
Karlsson was the best defenseman in the 2014 Olympics; two Norris trophies.
Sedins were late bloomers, but both enjoyed high peaks.
Backstrom is extremely productive; no international hardware hurts him relative to fellow Swedes.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Karlsson has 2 Norris trophies, is a 2x runner-up for the Norris, and he's a 4x 1st Team All-Star

That should easily put him ahead of players like Alfredsson, Zetterberg and Backstrom

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You're right, it's close between Forsberg and Fedorov but Foppa was still the better player at the end no matter how smarter, faster, stronger and on and on Fedorov was.

I'm not so sure about stronger and smarter, but I'll give him faster. Also Fedorov was arguably the best skater until McDavid came. Forsberg was a better player though and it's not even debatable IMO.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
I'm not so sure about stronger and smarter, but I'll give him faster. Also Fedorov was arguably the best skater until McDavid came. Forsberg was a better player though and it's not even debatable IMO.
I don't think he was, I just simply replied to another poster who thinks that Fedorov had the greatest skills ever. Forsberg was really better than Fedorov.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Yes, arguably. Very arguably since, The Russian Rocket, Pavel Bure certainly was faster with the puck.

Reactions: Sentinel

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Is that much different than Fedorov coasting through regular season games though? Forsberg regularly outscored him despite those missed games.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
1. Nicklas Lidstrom
2. Peter Forsberg
3. Mats Sundin
4. Daniel Alfredsson
5. Henrik Zetterberg
6. Borje Salming
7. Henrik Sedin
8. Daniel Sedin
9. Henrik Lundqvist
10. Kent Nilsson

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

This is the reason I rank Howe over Orr and Lemieux as 2nd all time. Same logic should follow here.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Peak Fedorov was the best hockey player to ever walk the planet earth.
I don't know if space aliens are good at hockey so I'll leave them out of the conversation.
Jurys still out on McDavid.
I'm a Wings fan but live in Colorado I got to watch Feds and Fopa all the time
Feds > Fopa but its close.

Why is Federov in so many discussions? This is the top 10 Swedish players list. Stop with your man crush on Federov, you can rank him amongst Ovechkin, Bure & Malkin in the top 10 Russians list, place him #1 if you like, but for this thread who are your top 10 Swedish hockey players of all time?

Reactions: DDRhockey

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If this is a “All Time” list not just NHL then you have to put Anders Hedberg at the very top.. he played the majority and his prime in Sweden and The WHA... but he may very well be the best Sweed of all time

Haven’t seen him play as he was before my time and played the majority of his career in Sweden & WHA, he has a very impressive resume. Was on one of the best lines in hockey history with Ulf Nilsson & Bobby Hull. I believe Nilsson centered that line another great Swede.

Last edited:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
If this is a “All Time” list not just NHL then you have to put Anders Hedberg at the very top.. he played the majority and his prime in Sweden and The WHA... but he may very well be the best Sweed of all time

The All Time Ornskoldvik list is pretty impressive - Anders Hedberg, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Peter Forsberg, Mats Naslund, Victor Hedman. Quite a list for a city of 30,000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad