Top 10 Russian hockey players all-time(link)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
All right, I'll try to play-Yes, yes, yes.

Here's my attempt:

1. Alexander Ovechkin, #1 Russian LW- #2 LW all-time.
2. Viacheslav Fetisov, #1 Russian D, #5 D all-time.
3. Sergei Makarov, #1 Russian RW, #4 RW all-time.
4. Vladislav Tretiak, #1 Russian G, #5 G all-time.
5. Valeri Kharlamov, #2 Russian LW, #3 LW all-time.
6. Sergei Federov, #1 Russian C, #18 C all-time.
7. Boris Mikhailov, #2 Russian RW, #13 RW all-time.
8. Valeri Vasiliev, #2 Russian D, #28 D all-time.
9. Evgeni Malkin, #2 Russian C, #20 C all-time.
10. Anatoli Firsov, #3 Russian LW, #7 LW all-time.
Kharlamov can't be compared to such a dummy(in comparison) as Ovechkin and he is far and beyond the best LW ever. And no, Gretzky is not the undisputed best player ever. Not even close to undisputed. Have you seen them all play?

Ovechkin is terribly overhyped. He is a great goalscorer and all, but on the all-time scale he is much much deeper on the chart.

And then you putMalkin much lower than Ovechkin? How?

You overrate Fetisov too.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I still have Fetisov #1 and Tretiak #2 all-time.

Fetisov was absolutely amazing. He had no weakness. Offense, defense, physical, strong, pass, shoot, skating... all elite.

Reactions: Overrated

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It’s difficult to make all time lists, especially for Russia (and Czech/Slovak). Players at various time periods were in different situations.

This goes for other nations also, including Canada. We all pretend that NHL has been the same league since the beginning, but it’s not the case at all.

There are about 50+ variables that have had a major impact on NHL over the years. From club expansion, talent pool expansion, higher salaries, goalie equipment, goalie techniques, various rule changes, goon extinction, etc., it’s a completely different league right now.

Actually there is question that has been on my mind regarding the pre-1960s European hockey stars. Generally, European hockey is considered inferior during this time period. The main reason given is “Canadian amateurs dominated European teams.” While that statement is sort of true, I don’t know if the definition of “amateurs” is the same as it is currently. For one, NHL teams were paying peanuts and many talented hockey players either did not turn pro or left the pro ranks (Seth Martin being the prime example, as he chose to be a fireman). Secondly, there were only 6 NHL teams, limited number of opportunities for talented hockey players.

Personally, I think those 1950s Canadian “amateur teams” were reletive in strength to teams Canada sends to WHC.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
In terms of Russians who have played in the NHL (not gonna lie, I don't watch any other hockey league besides the NHL):
Alex Ovechkin
Evgeni Malkin (honestly him and Ovie are interchangeable)
Sergei Federov
Pavel Bure
Pavel Datsyuk
Alexander Mogilny
Igor Larionov
Vyacheslav Kozlov
Sergei Bobrovsky
Sergei Zubov

HM: Sergei Gonchar, Alex Kovalev, Ilya Kovalchuk, Andrei Markov, Evgeni Nabokov

Future Considerations: Artemi Panarin, Nikita Kucherov, Vladimir Tarasenko, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Semyon Varlomov, Andrei Vasilevksy

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
If Kucherov wins the scoring title and Hart this season, does he become top 10 NHL Russian (NHL career only)?

It would be close for me. As it is the #10 spot on my personal list is pretty much a 2-way tie between Kovalev and Bobrovskiy. Kucherov doesn't have the longevity of Kovy, but he probably already has as many elite seasons as Kovy and maybe more then Bob.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Ovi-Best forward. The game is about putting the puck in the net, no other Russian born player was as good as him in that department. His defensive play may be a bit weak, but his offence is unmatched.
Best Dman-Fetisov. He was great and had all the skill/size/ leadership that great players are made of!
Goal-Tretiak, but I saw a quote from Helmet Balderes that said that he was "overrated", as he played in WC and Olympics against amateurs and never proved himself in the NHL.
Best coach-Tikonov

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Here's my personal top 10:

1. Tretiak.....Top 5 goaltender of all time. Period.
2. Kharlamov....His skills were Light Years ahead of his time, by any standards.
3. Fetisov....Arguably the best D-Man of his time (post-Orr).
4. Firsov....A player with a physical style, who also had great skills. One of the hardest shooters in the history of hockey.
5. Makarov....A VERY underrated player. A lot of people forget that he played in the NHL also, and played VERY well. One of the best forwards of his time, and he played in the same time as Lemieux, Gretzky and Messier. He could very well be the most talented Russian player of all time (he was bigger then Kharlamov and faster then Firsov).
6. Vasiliev....Another VERY underrated player, who was also a great one. He was an EXCELLENT all-around D-man.
7. Bobrov....The first Russian superstar. Perhaps, he's too low on my list, as he was a great player in his own right. A 2-sport athlete who was also one of the best Russian soccer players of all time.
8. Maltsev....Another one who seems to be kinda low on this list. Throughout his career he's been overshadowed by other great Russian players, but he too had GREAT ability.
9. Mikhailov....He wasn't as flashy as some other Russian forwards, but he could very well be the most accomplished of them. All-time Soviet scoring leader, his physical style of play reminded many of NHL players more so then other Russian forwards of his time.
10. Larionov....This one accomplished almost everything there is to accomplish in hockey. World Championships: Check. Olympic Gold: Check. Long and productive NHL career: Check. Stanley Cups: Check.

#10 was a tough decision, as I think a case could be made for Fedorov, Bure and Krutov.

I hope someday Ovechkin, Malkin and other young Russians could be mentioned on this list.

If Ovechkin is not already on this list...

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
If I had to rank only the Soviet players... Didn't give it that much of a thought I could have missed someone

Makarov
Fetisov
Firsov
Bure
Fedorov
Kharlamov
Tretiak
Petrov
Krutov
Mikhailov

Honorable Mentions

Mogilny
Yakushev
Larionov
Starshinov
Maltsev
Balderis
V. Alexandrov
Vasiliev
Kasatonov
Kamensky
Vikulov

Ranking skill more so than career.

Last edited:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Datsyuk, Firsov, Maltsev, Malkin, Makarov, Kucherov, Zubov, Bure. Maltsev was a beauty, very underrated.

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I'll give it a shot myself:

1. Fetisov
2. Firsov¨
3. Kharlamov
4. Makarov
5. Tretiak
6. Mikhailov
7. Maltsev
8. Petrov
9. Bobrov
10. Vasiliev
An updated list, since I've seen much more old games now than in 2010.

CCCP players:
1. Makarov (almost never a bad game!)
2. Fetisov (not quite as consistent a performer as I remembered him in the 1980s, but still a rock of course)
3. Firsov (his versatility was the thing)
4. Kharlamov (gets sometimes called 'overrated' nowadays, but I'm not sure I agree; could have been #3)
5. Tretyak (not much to comment on here, obviously an icon)
6. Mikhailov (usually a very good big game performer, a long career)
7. Maltsev (talking about skills... And better in clutch games than by reputation)
8. Krutov (slightly more inconsistent than e.g. Makarov, but at his best unstoppable)
9. Petrov (maybe sometimes more impressive stats-wise than when watching him play, but he was a well-rounded player)
10. Bobrov (still don't want to leave him off the list, if almost merely out of duty)

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
An updated list, since I've seen much more old games now than in 2010.

CCCP players:
1. Makarov (almost never a bad game!)
2. Fetisov (not quite as consistent a performer as I remembered him in the 1980s, but still a rock of course)
3. Firsov (his versatility was the thing)
4. Kharlamov (gets sometimes called 'overrated' nowadays, but I'm not sure I agree; could have been #3)
5. Tretyak (not much to comment on here, obviously an icon)
6. Mikhailov (usually a very good big game performer, a long career)
7. Maltsev (talking about skills... And better in clutch games than by reputation)
8. Krutov (slightly more inconsistent than e.g. Makarov, but at his best unstoppable)
9. Petrov (maybe sometimes more impressive stats-wise than when watching him play, but he was a well-rounded player)
10. Bobrov (still don't want to leave him off the list, if almost merely out of duty)
No Professor?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
No Professor?
If Larionov couldn't even nearly match his linemate Krutov when they were playing for CSKA/USSR, why would I put him in the top 10?

An epitome of a 'very good' rather than a consistently 'great' player; a Jean Ratelle/Ron Francis type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->