Top 10 rookies in NHL for 2011-12?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If zibanejad makes Ottawa it could be in a 2nd line center role between alfie and michalek.

If he's in a 3rd line role, not so much. But if he takes the 2nd line pivot spot out of camp he becomes a strong candidate.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Gotta go with Ryan Johansen. 50-60pts with Nash.
images

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thought it would be interesting to look at the same thread last year.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=771870

Interesting that nobody in that thread mentioned the eventual Calder winner Skinner. A few (but very few) guys did have Couture on their list, but most didn't even have him and nobody had Grabner.

So I wonder who might come out of nowhere and surprise this year.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I will play along. My top 15 for rookies playing THIS season:

In no particular order:

Roman Josi
David Savard
Gabriel Landeskog
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Craig Smith
Anton Lander
Jonathan Bernier
Mika Zibenajad (if he plays he will get top 6 minutes)
Zac Dalpe
Brett Connolly
Jonathan Huberdeau (as per Zibenajad)
Tim Erixon
Nino Neidereiter
Adam Larsson
Brayden Schenn

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
In my opinion Brayden Schenn has to be the frontrunner.

Schenn has NHL experience, AHL experience (both on playoff teams), and he has dominated junior. Based on Philly's youth rush, combined with their depth and he will surely have good line mates. Expect him to play with people like JVR, Simmonds, Hartnell

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I just did a blog on top rookies to watch so i'll take my top 10 i guess

Nino Niederrieter- My pick for Rookie of the Year. El Nino could find him self skating at regular strength with John Tavares aswell as PP time. It seems like the perfect storm for a great rookie season.

Ryan Johansen- Johansen became maybe the best prospect in the NHL last season. The budding power-forward has everything. Filthy mits, great speed, strong, big, good defensively. Columbus finally did the right thing with this kid and didn't rush him. The steps he took last season and his dominence of his rookie tourny looks like he's ready for the game.

Erik Gudbranson- He would have made the team last season if they got a contract finalized. Gudbranson will be on the team this season no doubt. A big hard hitting defenceman isn't going to 'wooo' you with his puck skills but will have his fair share of highlight reel hits and big fights

Devante Smith-Pelley- I think DSP could surprise a lot of people in ducks camp and win a spot on the 3rd line. If he makes it expect him to have the same kind of impact Cal Clutterbuck did when he got to the NHL.

Ryan Ellis- The Preds are very deep on D so don't be shocked if he starts the season in the AHL. But the Preds are a team that stuggles to score goals some times and Ellis' skill will be too much to ignore for long, even if he's just mainly a PP QB to start.

Brayden Schenn- Played well in his short stint with the Kings, played well in the AHL then dominated the WHL. He is probably the most NHL ready prospect but with the Flyers depth, how much TOI does he get?

Adam Larsson- The Devils won the lottery twice in the draft when Larsson fell to them. They've said he's going to have every opportunity to make the team and Larsson's the kind of player thats going to take the ball and run. May end up on the 1st pairing before the seasons over. Legit calder candidate.

Joe Colborne- Colborne is one of my favourite prospects. Blessed with Thornton-esc size and play making ability, he's the kind of player that can be as good as he wants to be. But drive and desire have always been an issue. Does he want it enough to be an impact player?

David Rundblad- Rundblad took the SEL by storm last season as a 20 year old scoring 50 points in 55 games as a defenceman. Rundblad's offensive game is ready for sure, but like current Senator Erik Karlsson, it will be his defensive game that gets looked at. He will be competing against Jared Cowen for the last spot on D so he could start off in the AHL.

Gabriel Landeskog- Dubbed the most NHL ready prospect of this draft class I would be shocked to see Lando go back to the OHL. He plays the game like a vet and will probably work his way onto the Avs top 6.

Last edited:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Nino Niederrieter- My pick for Rookie of the Year. El Nino could find him self skating at regular strength with John Tavares aswell as PP time. It seems like the perfect storm for a great rookie season.

I can't speak to the rest of the list, but I don't expect Nino to be among the rookie scoring leaders this year. The only scenario that has him skating with JT is an injury to Moulson and/or Grabner. The Islanders seem to believe that JT's best combo is with a RH shot on his right side.

Nino is most likely to start on a bottom-6 line with Bailey and Comeau, or with Rolston and Reasoner. In fact, unless there's a significant injury or Blake Comeau is traded during camp (both are possibilities), he's no lock to make the team.

I just really don't see Nino beating out Matt Moulson for top line LW. Of course, Nino has much more potential than RW PA Parenteau, but he just shoots the wrong way.

The truth is that Grabner's emergence last year really decreased the chance Nino plays a significant role for the Isles this year. Nino's natural pairing would be on the LW with Nielsen and Okposo. Again, he might not even make the team because of it.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Terence Peterman

Sep 17, 2007
In my opinion Brayden Schenn has to be the frontrunner.

Schenn has NHL experience, AHL experience (both on playoff teams), and he has dominated junior. Based on Philly's youth rush, combined with their depth and he will surely have good line mates. Expect him to play with people like JVR, Simmonds, Hartnell

If the Flyers continue to insist on Briere and Giroux at center as they have since the end of the 2009-10 season, Schenn's going to get shafted with linemates. Simmonds could be the most talent he sees on his wing on a regular basis.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
It would be amazing to compare previous years consensus list to the actual winners.

It is almost never who you think it will be!

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
I will play along. My top 15 for rookies playing THIS season:

In no particular order:

Roman Josi
David Savard
Gabriel Landeskog
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Craig Smith
Anton Lander
Jonathan Bernier
Mika Zibenajad (if he plays he will get top 6 minutes)
Zac Dalpe
Brett Connolly
Jonathan Huberdeau (as per Zibenajad)
Tim Erixon
Nino Neidereiter
Adam Larsson
Brayden Schenn
Lander is my favourite prospect aside from RNH on the Oilers, and he has a great shot to make the big club, but I find it difficult for him to win the calder. Lander is super defensively oriented, and the calder trophy is generally awarded to a high scoring forward (or super outstanding in Meyer's case).

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I have to think Devante Smith-Pelly has a shot if he cracks the Ducks' roster and gets top 6 minutes. I don't see him getting top 6 minutes though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad