News Article: Top 10 Reasons Coach Therrien Is Failing The Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Pacioretty taking veiled shots at Therrien AND sticking up for Subban?

I like him even more now. The rumors that Bergevin is looking to move him / trade for Evander Kane might have some truth then.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
He is an idiot. There is no way to sugar-coat it.

He got his chance originally because he is French-speaking, was perceived to have paid his dues in the lower leagues and is a large man with a physical presence, which led to the perception that he is a motivator. He subsequently got a number of opportunities, including the Penguins and this one, because he had prior NHL experience, which compounds the initial mistake. However, there is no substitute for intelligence, and he will never be confused with a tactician. Nor will he ever be associated with anything resembling critical thinking.

While it's true that there are very few coaches that actually think the game, if we were to try to quantify their mental capacities and plot the values on an axis, MT would still end up on the pole coinciding with the most intellectually challenged.

That, to me is the number 1 reason that is at the root of any other shortcoming. At this point, MB is not looking stellar for having picked him.

This :handclap:

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
up until last game, the other options were : Murray and Gorges.

hope he'll try Emelin eventually though, he's back now.

I certainly hope so. But the thing is that he had the option to try out Emelin over Cube last year, and he never did it, despite the man-advantage suffering.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Sure, but the coaches job is optimize your chances at winning, playing Boullion on the PP and any combination of Boullion, Murray, diaz, protecting one goal leads is also counter productive towards this goal.

Therrien has been absolutely terrible.

Diaz? Seriously? As much as I hate seeing Subban on the bench when we're on the PK or protecting the lead late game, you simply can't criticize the work Diaz has put up defensively this season. He's actually a pretty big part of our great defensive numbers.

I get that he's of smallish size and doesn't have much of a physical game, put people need to take off the blinders. Being big isn't the only criteria to be an effective defenseman, and Diaz has been one this season despite what most fans around here spew on a daily basis.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Don't need ten reasons, one is good enough. He is out coached by every team the Habs play against.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes, that's what I think is happening. Therrien slowly is losing his dressing room.
Tonight's start by the Habs will be very telling about how the players feel regarding Therrien.

Take it for what it's worth but I was told that Bergevin's first choice was Marc Crawford, but that Serge Savard was against this choice and, as a result, they picked Therrien instead...

So what about that theory now eh?

Go Habs Go!

PricePkPatch*

Therrien: "The way he's playing right now, Subban is making a case for the Olympics. We want him to go there."

Per Marc-Antoine Godin on Twitter

(thanks for Smokey Thompson for the info)

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Therrien: "The way he's playing right now, Subban is making a case for the Olympics. We want him to go there."

Per Marc-Antoine Godin on Twitter

(thanks for Smokey Thompson for the info)

:scared:
I just looked outside. No pigs are flying and the sky is still there. Phew! Me thinks Therrien just wants to get off Santa's naughty list.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I said it in an earlier thread back when everyone was starting to get healthy again, Therrien adjusted the teams style to the injuries.. He played more trap and dump and chase when we had 4-5 significant injuries for October and I said that when everyone was healthy again you'd see him go back to a more offensive minded team.. I think we started seeing it against Minny the aggressive forecheck and especially against Caps.. The guy was just playing with what he had.

What annoyed me was his use of Subban but he seems to have even changed that I've seen Subban out a lot longer on PPs now and he's been out late in games protecting leads and even a few PKs (though very few).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pacioretty taking veiled shots at Therrien AND sticking up for Subban?

I like him even more now. The rumors that Bergevin is looking to move him / trade for Evander Kane might have some truth then.

Some internet pundits (probably speculative BS) are suggesting that MaxPac and Therrien never got along really well, which I expect to happen on any team, you just can make everyone happy or get along with everyone when you're a head coach.

Apparently, these pundits are suggesting that Pacioretty asked to be traded months ago (which would support Stormin Norman's assertion that he was shopped at the draft in Joisey) rather than play for Therrien. Pacioretty's previous agent, Alec Walsh is supposedly a soft, mild-mannered guy and wasn't delivering what Max wanted, so this apparently explains the change in favor of the more hard-line Lewis Gross. That, plus Max's name continuing to swirl about, are prompting some to think that this has everything to do with Therrien. Again, FWIW, don't have any mainstream confirmed sources -- don't know if Stormin Norman is a credible source.

PricePkPatch*

I said it in an earlier thread back when everyone was starting to get healthy again, Therrien adjusted the teams style to the injuries.. He played more trap and dump and chase when we had 4-5 significant injuries for October and I said that when everyone was healthy again you'd see him go back to a more offensive minded team.. I think we started seeing it against Minny the aggressive forecheck and especially against Caps.. The guy was just playing with what he had.

What annoyed me was his use of Subban but he seems to have even changed that I've seen Subban out a lot longer on PPs now and he's been out late in games protecting leads and even a few PKs (though very few)

Seriously. Subban was on the last PP last night for the entire 2 minutes. When's the last time we've seen that?!

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Obviously, Therrien read this thread and realized that unless he makes adjustments he is done in Montreal. He is basically trying to save his butt right now. :sarcasm:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah I feel like I'm in bizzaro world last few games watching his use of Subban :laugh:

Despite all the belly-aching early on about his use of Subban, Subban is now 2nd to only Markov in ATOI.

Which is pretty much exactly how Therrien played him last year, increasing his usage and responsibilities as the year went on. Last year it paid off in a Norris, and it seems PK is on track for another great year.

I think people forget sometimes the NHL season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
One problem with MT is that he doesn't notice things right away...Right now its the Eller line Prust doesn't belong there and he should see that but he doesn't right away it might take him a month to notice. Pretty sure all us see Bournival there!!!

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
It's better than discussing why our coach feels the need to go to the media and whine about how's he's being mistreated around the league by other coaching staffs/teams cause he's a new guy and he doesn't like it. Meanwhile his team has lost the luster of the first few weeks successes and he should be focused on winning games. Right now, I like our coach a hell of a lot more thank you very much. What a zoo Montreal would become if Roy was behind our bench. Ugh.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Despite all the belly-aching early on about his use of Subban, Subban is now 2nd to only Markov in ATOI.

Which is pretty much exactly how Therrien played him last year, increasing his usage and responsibilities as the year went on. Last year it paid off in a Norris, and it seems PK is on track for another great year.

I think people forget sometimes the NHL season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Yeah you're right, but sometimes it's hard to see the big picture when the negativity around the subject spirals into every sports talk show and it's all you hear about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad