4. Ivan Drago
5. Yamamoto
6. Lavoie
7. Jones
8. Marody
9. Bear/Maksimov
10. Starrett
11. Gamboooo

I don't know, I find rankings frustrating sometimes. Those are more 12 players that I like maybe more than some other guys. A lot of those places I could switch and not really care.

Reactions: B33K33PING

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
1. Bouchard
2. Samorukov
3. Broberg
4. Yamamoto
5. Benson
6. Jones
7. Lavoie
8. Bear
9. Marody
10. Berglund

HM: Maksimov, Starrett, Lagesson

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not liking the lack of Maksimov on these lists.

I don't think he deserves to be top 10 right now. Who do you knock out to replace him? McLeod? Marody? Bear? Lagesson?
It's a testament to how much stronger the Oilers prospect pool has gotten that Maxsimov isn't on a lot of top 10 lists right now. He'll get a bump if he performs well in the AHL next season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
1. Bouchard
2. Broberg
3. Benson
4. Ivan Drago
5. Yamamoto
6. Lavoie
7. Jones
8. Marody
9. Bear/Maksimov
10. Starrett
11. Gamboooo

I don't know, I find rankings frustrating sometimes. Those are more 12 players that I like maybe more than some other guys. A lot of those places I could switch and not really care.
The other issue is what do you value more in a prospect? There are a guys that for sure will get NHL action or have had NHL action already, they might only have 3rd line potential but they will be in the NHL at some point. So do you give the guy that will play in the NHL a higher ranking than a guy who has a better ceiling but is a longer shot?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I don't think he deserves to be top 10 right now. Who do you knock out to replace him? McLeod? Marody? Bear? Lagesson?
It's a testament to how much stronger the Oilers prospect pool has gotten that Maxsimov isn't on a lot of top 10 lists right now. He'll get a bump if he performs well in the AHL next season.
I'd probably have him there ahead of Marody and maybe Lagesson. He's a lot less proven but I really like his upside.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
1. Bouchard
2. Broberg
3. Benson
4. Jones
5. Samorukov
6. Yamamoto
7. Marody
8. Bear
9. Lavoie
10. Lagesson
HM: McLeod, Berglund

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB
1. Bouchard
2. Broberg
3. Samorukov
4. Jones
5. Benson
6. Lavoie
7. Yamamoto
8. McLeod
9. Bear
10. Marody

HM: Maksimov, Lagesson

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No list but some random thoughts: (Not going to include this years draft, too early to tell.)

Kirill Maximov: Has a chance because he has some size and 'truculence' to go with some skill. Will need a couple of solid years in AHL to see if he can make it.

Tyler Benson: I was not high on him before last year but he showed consistently high calibre in Bakersfield last year and no major injuries. If he maintains it next year in the minors he may be a 3rd liner useful player.

Cooper Marody: See above but I do not know if he can bring the things needed for a 3rd or 4th line guy or not.

Evan Bouchard: If he is allowed to be who he is he will do well for years in the NHL. As in an offensive minded good pp guy who is not stellar on D. If the team cannot tolerate D shortcomings he will have trouble.

Dmitri Samourkov: The guy showed a complete game and skill set last year. Big step up to AHL and then AHL but he has a chance to be a top 3 guy for sure.

Ethan Bear: Similar to Bouchard as in they have to let him do what he does best. You can shelter a Dman and take advantage of his offense and pp skills. I can see Bear going elsewhere and being a useful nhl dman for another team.

Caleb Jones: Not as high on him as most other people on here. He does a lot of things pretty good but to me has no great single skill to hang his hat on. Needs another full year in the minors to see if he really is a prospect.

William Lagesson: I am higher on him than many others. I can see him being a very solid NHL defensive dman for some years.

Kailer Yamamoto: Not high on him for a few reasons. I don't think he has that one sure fire NHL skill. For a small guy you have to have some big time feature to hang your hat on. I also don't like the fact that when he has been sent down to junior or AHL he has been a non entity for a while before picking it up.

Good thing we drafted another goalie this year, they are so hard to project until they show up in the NHL and get a chance. Not a fan of skinner or wells, Starrett showed something last year.

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Love how everyone has Broberg at 2 mainly due to where he was drafted.
The guy may not be top 5 right now.

Need to see more of him

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
1. Evan Bouchard
2. Tyler Benson - one of the first callups
3. Broberg/Lavoie
4. Brogerg/Lavoie - decent first two selections in the 2019 draft
5. Dmitri Samourkov
6.. Kailer Yamamoto
7. Caleb Jones
8. William Lagesson
9. Ilya konovalov
10. Cooper Marody

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
1. Bouchard
2. Benson
3. Samorukov
4. Broberg
5. Yamamoto
6. Lagesson
7. Lavoie
8. Maximov
9. Bear
10. Marody

HM : Jones, MacLeod

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'll break this down as best I can...

Forwards not in pro hockey
1. Lavoie - Big RH forward with a great shot.
Didn't bother with other forwards, as they wouldn't crack the top 10 anyway.

Forwards entering their first year pro:
1. McLeod - I think there's a small chance he becomes a top 6 complimentary LW. Slim chance, but it's there. Has the size, speed, and range of skills to be groomed for 3C duties.
2. Maksimov - He strikes me as a 'top 6 or bust' type. I think he'll transition reasonably well to the AHL given that he's a physical player with a pro-ready shot with underrated passing.

Forwards entering their second year of pro hockey:
1. Benson - Pretty good showing in his AHL rookie year given his missed development time. Has a shot at complimenting a line in the top 6, but more likely a middle-6 guy imo.
2. Yamamoto - His first year was all over the place. Still has decent upside, but is still adapting to pro hockey.
3. Marody - Despite putting up the best numbers of the three, he's older & has a few NCAA years under his belt. Too much skill for the 4th line, I wonder if he finds his way onto Edmonton's 3rd line.

Defenseman not in pro hockey
1. Broberg - Amazing upside, but also very raw.
Also have some guys in the NCAA. Don't feel like ranking if they're not signed.

Defenseman entering their first year pro:
1. Bouchard - Fits our needs like a glove, looking forward to following his progression.
2. Samorukov - I wouldn't have him ahead of Bouchard, but pretty close. The way he stepped up after the WJC was something else. Had what, 28 points in 24 playoff games?

Defenseman with pro hockey experience:
1. Jones - Top 4 upside imo. I liked how he played in his call-up. Did well before being thrown to the wolves.
2. Bear - Love his puck moving ability. How much has his defensive game progressed since his call-up?
3. Lagesson - He strikes me as a guy who can anchor the 3rd pairing and not stressing when he is called upon to play top 4 minutes in a shutdown role due to injury.

Putting it all together
1. Bouchard
2. Samorukov
3. Broberg - Have him lower than 'Rukov bc he's so raw and Sam demonstrated a very complete, dominant game.
4. Lavoie - Higher than other forwards because I have more faith in his ability to become a permanent fixture in the top 6. Lavoie is someone I was very high on, so it could also be shiny new toy syndrome.
5. Benson - Very impressive rookie season considering his circumstances.
6. Jones - Some on here aren't too high on him, but I think he's got good upside.
7. McLeod - I like McLeod's chances of being a productive part of the team more than Yams.
8. Yamamoto - Staying healthy and scoring a bunch of goals would vault him up pretty quickly.
9. Bear - See these two defensemen as players with distinct roles on the 3rd pairing if they make it.
10. Lagesson

Edit: Forgot about Persson... he'd be among Bear and Lagesson on that list for me.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
1. Bouchard
2. Broberg
3. Samorukov
4. Lavoie
5. Yamamoto
6. Benson
7. Jones
8. McLeod
9. Marody
10. Bear/Maksimov/Lagesson

*Didn't rank goalies, but I like our pool. If I had to rank them I'd put:
1. Konovalov
2. Skinner
3. Wells
4. Starrett
Not as high on Starrett as others as I think he'll have trouble translating to the NHL and he's already 25 this summer. Could become a serviceable backup, but I don't see a starter there. This goalie list is far from set in stone. I'd like to see more of Konovalov, and I'd like to see what Skinner and Wells look like after a year of adjusting to pro hockey. The jump from junior has a serious adjustment period.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not liking the lack of Maksimov on these lists.
I think that's a good thing tbh. I view Maksimov as a good prospect who could become a middle 6 goal scorer, a poor man's James Neal. The fact that he is falling to the bottom or outside the top 10 is indicative of the growing strength in our prospect pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad