Prospect Info: Top-10 Prospect Rankings | Post Draft

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
1. Evan Bouchard | Don't see any one close to him. Run away #1

2. Philip Broberg | Automatic #2 based on potential

3. Dmitri Samorukov | Insane year boosts his value and his potential could be as high as a #2 dman

4. Tyler Benson | A much needed healthy season resulted in an almost PPG AHL season. Most-ready forward

5. Caleb Jones | A very solid AHL season. His cup of coffee in the NHL showed glimpses. Most-ready defender

6. Cooper Marody | Like Benson, a season that resulted in over a PPG boosted his readiness for the NHL

7. Kirill Maksimov | Goal-scoring went up 4th year in a row. Bako bound. Hopefully has a 20 goal rookie season

8. Ethan Bear | Injury issues this year but still managed 31 pts in 52 games. Like Jones, is close to NHL ready

9. Raphael Lavoie | Big, skilled forward who could challenge for 40 goals next season.

10. William Lagesson | Defensive stalwart produced untapped offense. Reminds me of Gator.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
1. Evan Bouchard | Don't see any one close to him. Run away #1

2. Philip Broberg | Automatic #2 based on potential

3. Dmitri Samorukov | Insane year boosts his value and his potential could be as high as a #2 dman

4. Tyler Benson | A much needed healthy season resulted in an almost PPG AHL season. Most-ready forward

5. Caleb Jones | A very solid AHL season. His cup of coffee in the NHL showed glimpses. Most-ready defender

6. Cooper Marody | Like Benson, a season that resulted in over a PPG boosted his readiness for the NHL

7. Kirill Maksimov | Goal-scoring went up 4th year in a row. Bako bound. Hopefully has a 20 goal rookie season

8. Ethan Bear | Injury issues this year but still managed 31 pts in 52 games. Like Jones, is close to NHL ready

9. Raphael Lavoie | Big, skilled forward who could challenge for 40 goals next season.

10. William Lagesson | Defensive stalwart produced untapped offense. Reminds me of Gator.

No Yamamoto?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I really like Samorukov, but half a season of outstanding play in junior in your draft+2 year shouldn't catapult him over guys that had a strong first year at a pro-level. Look at Bear and especially Jones coming out of junior, I'm not confident that Samorukov is at a higher level than those two. It's the same with Makismov.

1) Bouchard
2) Broberg (Shiny new toy, though honestly I'm not a fan of putting him at #2. Yes his potential is sky high, but I tend to value results at higher levels vs. pure potential. However he is already playing and holding his own in a men's league at 17, and has be dominant at best-on-best tourneys for his age group)
3) Benson
4) Yamamoto
5) Jones
6) Marody (super tempted to put him higher)
7) Lagesson
8) Samorukov
9) Bear
10) Lavoie
11) Makismov
12) McLeod

Again for me, prospects that had outstanding years in the AHL and played a key roles in Bakersfield's run this year > single or half seasons of outstanding play at the junior level in a draft+2 season. That's going to hurt Makismov and Samorukov; but like Benson, they could easily take a massive jump by this time next year.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll give it a try. I definitely have some bias towards favoring prospects who are closer to NHL ready over the long shots with potentially bigger upside. I don't fault anyone for favoring the guys who project to have bigger roles over the safe bets who seem poised to take smaller roles.

1. Evan Bouchard- I don't think anyone matches his upside and he's closer to NHL ready than many give him credit for.
  2. Dmitri Samorukov- I find his total package of skills more compelling than Broberg's (though I've only seen him when people say he was playing his best hockey)
  3. Philip Broberg
  4. Tyler Benson- Tempted to go Jones here, but Benson's rookie AHL season was just too impressive
  5. Caleb Jones- Feels like he's trending in a really good direction with his season to season improvement.
  6. Kailer Yamamoto- Really smart player, does a lot of things right just needs more polish. Patience people.
  7. Ethan Bear- His stock didn't drop that much for me, it seemed fairly clear his issues were predominantly injury related, the old Bear is still in there and when he was healthier he did show the kind of skills that won him the WHL defenseman of the year.
  8. William Lagesson- This feels too high for him cause his upside isn't that high, but he plays such an NHL style game and feels so close to ready. Despite not being a world beater, I just see him having a really long NHL career, someone who won't get a lot of recognition, but coaches will love him.
  9. Cooper Marody- Really good rookie AHL season as well, it's hard to make a smooth transition from the College to the AHL, but his was seamless. Despite how good he's looked I have some reservations that his skating will hinder his ability to make a significant impact in the NHL (a.k.a. play in the top 6).
  10. Raphael Lavoie- It was a really tough choice between him and McLeod, I feel like McLeod is a much safer bet, cause I've seen a lot of guys who play the game like McLeod make it, but the upside and goal scoring Lavoie brings despite the warts was enough to beat McLeod by the slimmest of margins.
I have no reason to doubt Maksimov, his release is beautiful and he gets it off quick, but I just want to see how he handles being roughed up in a men's league, see how he handles the reduced time and space, and see if he makes beating the AHL goalies look as easy as he does to the OHL goalies. Maksimov is a pure sniper his goal scoring variety isn't as varied as Lavoie, he will sink or swim principally on a single trait, if that trait seamlessly translates to the pro game then he deserves to go shooting up the list, but I'm going to be a bit skeptical for the time being.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
@Dazed and Confused....I like your list but Bear is still too low.

The only problem is who do you move down? Personally I think Bear is right there with Jones and Lagesson, they just had health on their side this year. Then you get into the mess of trying to judge the forwards vs. defence.

Yamamoto had a similar issue. If healthy (and not jerked around by the big team, bouncing between EDM and BAK) he likely gets that 3rd spot without much question. Marody is the other wildcard there, though he is a year older and doesn't possess the same escapibility.

Overall it's a nice problem to have.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just going off my head, but I would say something like:

1) Bouchard
2) Broberg
3) Samorukov
4) Benson
5) Jones
6) Yamamoto
7) Lavoie
8) McLeod
9) Bear
10) Marody

HM: Rodrigue, Lagesson, Konovalov, Starett, Maxsimov

We got some good prospects. Going to take most of these guys a couple years as most of them are pretty young except for Jones and Marody who are probably closer to being ready.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
1) Bouchard - I still have huge questions if he'll ever be able to defend at an NHL quality level as his defending is very poor right now but that offense is going to translate big time. Since the Oilers don't have any real elite prospects, he's here by default.

2) Broberg - Lots of tools, we'll see if there's much of a toolbox in the coming years.

3) Samorukov - This is my guy right here. I think he has the best overall skillset of any Oiler prospect but really only had one excellent half season of junior to his credit so he has some proving to do. I think the upside is limitless though. Likely not a future #1 but the Oilers best chance of having one IMO.

4) Jones - I think he's getting lost in the shuffle a bit. Safe bet to be a solid 2nd pairing guy, probably the safest best to be a solid NHLer.

5) Yamamoto - He has a lot of proving to do. I'm just keeping him up here based on pedigree but he really hasn't done much in his first 1+ pro seasons. Still very young so no reason to panic yet but skill level and durability becoming a concern.

6) Benson - Had an outstanding rookie season but I'm still unsure if he has top 6 NHL upside. He's the forward version of Jones, safe bet to be a middle 6 NHLer but not much upside beyond that.

7) Lavoie - Tempted to put him higher based on skillset but too incomplete right now. He's the most skilled forward in the system.

8) Bear - Another one who gets lost in the shuffle with the shiny new toys but had an underrated good AHL season.

9) Lagesson - Darkhorse to steal a bottom pairing spot next season.

10) Marody - Will keep him in the top 10 because of his strong AHL season but I don't see him as an NHLer so I think he'll drop in following years.

11) McLeod - Tempted to put him higher but had a weak Draft+1 season. The offense appears to be pretty limited.

HM - Rodrigue, Starrett, Maxsimov

Looking over this list and actually seeing it typed out, this is actually a pretty damn good prospect pool. Still a little light on high skilled forwards but it's pretty deep when you have prospects like Starrett and Maxsimov on an honorable mention list.

Last edited:

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
No Yamamoto?

Right now I have him at 11. He had a decent 27 games in the AHL with 18 points but considering he's known for the offence, I was expecting a PPG or close to it. A wrist injury didn't help and his 17 games in the NHL didn't help his cause either. I felt other prospects had a better season.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I really like Samorukov, but half a season of outstanding play in junior in your draft+2 year shouldn't catapult him over guys that had a strong first year at a pro-level. Look at Bear and especially Jones coming out of junior, I'm not confident that Samorukov is at a higher level than those two. It's the same with Makismov.

Well his case is interesting. He was the #3 defenseman for the last couple years before this past season playing behind Ryan Merkley and Garrett McFadden, hence he got no powerplay opportunities, and was mostly tasked with defensive responsibilities. Once Merkley got traded and McFadden graduated, Samorukov became the go-to guy and he showed what he's capable of.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
1. Bouchard
2. Broberg
3. Yamamoto
4. Samorukov
5. Jones
6. Benson
7. Lavoie
8. Bear
9. Lagesson
10. Marody

HM: McLeod

Bear should be on every list.. Still a very good prospect. Should've gotten a look last year again.

Reactions: MessierII

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
1. Bouchard
2. Samorukov
3. Broberg
4. Benson
5. Lavoie
6. Jones
7. Yamamoto
8. Bear
9. Lagesson
10. McLeod

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
1. Bouchard
2. Broberg
3. Benson
4. Samorukov
5. Yamamoto
6. Jones
7. Lavoie
8. Lagesson
9. Marody
10. Bear

I'm surprised people don't have Benson in the top 3...he had an outstanding rookie AHL year and almost led the league in rookie points (maybe he did?)

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
1. Bouchard
2. Broberg
3. Benson
4. Samorukov
5. Yamamoto
6. Jones
7. Lavoie
8. Lagesson
9. Marody
10. Bear

I'm surprised people don't have Benson in the top 3...he had an outstanding rookie AHL year and almost led the league in rookie points (maybe he did?)
Benson was 2nd in rookie scoring, the first place guy had 2 more points in 6 more games played and is a couple years older.

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Right now I have him at 11. He had a decent 27 games in the AHL with 18 points but considering he's known for the offence, I was expecting a PPG or close to it. A wrist injury didn't help and his 17 games in the NHL didn't help his cause either. I felt other prospects had a better season.

Once he settled in he was playing at a ppg pace. He was shuffled up and down from the NHL, which along with his injuries gave him an inconsistent season. Next year is an important one. If he can stay healthy, I can see him having a dominant year in the AHL.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Looking over this list and actually seeing it typed out, this is actually a pretty damn good prospect pool. Still a little light on high skilled forwards but it's pretty deep when you have prospects like Starrett and Maxsimov on an honorable mention list.
Yeah I feel like it is much improved from a year ago, a lot of that rests on Woodcroft and seeing how many AHL guys took a step in a positive direction, most years it's a few guys taking steps forward and a few guys taking steps back, but damn near our whole AHL team took a step forward (minus the guys plagued with injury problems).

Reactions: Oilhawks

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Once he settled in he was playing at a ppg pace. He was shuffled up and down from the NHL, which along with his injuries gave him an inconsistent season. Next year is an important one. If he can stay healthy, I can see him having a dominant year in the AHL.

Yeah no doubt. His season was inconsistent and that didn't help. Other players stepped up and that's why he's lower in my rankings. He's gotta have a Benson-esque season next year in order to be a top-6 guy on the big club.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Just some context for Yamamoto...he started the hockey season as a 19 year old. He scored 10 goals in 27 games in the AHL. Pace-wise, that puts him in top 5 for rookie goal scoring.

Ignore the fact our idiot management put him in the NHL where he had no business being.

He had a good, respectable year in the minors, but injuries dragged him down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad