Top 10 Players in the NHL since the 2015-16 Season (Discussion)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
it's quite funny to see that when Sid for example gets injured and misses big parts of seasons, this is used in his favour (people insisting on his PPG), not against him while this is exactly the reverse in Geno's case.
Canadian/US bias at his very best

When you fail in logic, play the xenophobic card.

Crosby has five seasons of fifteen playing less than 90% of games in a season, two of them attributed to one injury. Coming into this season, he may have played the most hockey games in the previous six seasons (regular season plus playoffs).

Malkin has nine season of fourteen playing playing less than 90% of games in a season. He has one full season in the last eight, two in his last eleven.

He is the epitome of injury-prone.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
ppg has no value to you?

If the actual production/results were close then yes. But in this case, since Malkin has nothing, no.

Also I see you pulled the lame "Canadian bias" argument. You do realize that basically every list has OV, Kucherov and Draisaitl on it right? Many, including myself, have Panarin and Hedman. There's no bias or agenda against Malkin because of his nationality. He didn't play, so he shouldn't make the list over players who actually played and have the finishes for their efforts.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
If the actual production/results were close then yes. But in this case, since Malkin has nothing, no.

Malkin's PPG over the last 5 years is quite simply in the top 5 in the league (probably even in top 3 if we consider PO's PPG) and very very close to Sid (if not better but i didn't verify but I know their PPG during that period are very similar)
How in the f***ing hell Malkin has nothing on him in that aspect??

Reactions: Cape

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Malkin's PPG over the last 5 years is quite simply in the top 5 in the league (probably even in top 3 if we consider PO's PPG) and very very close to Sid (if not better but i didn't verify but I know their PPG during that period are very similar)
How in the ****ing hell Malkin has nothing on him in that aspect??

Umm, I clearly said "If the actual production/results were close then yes". Are the actual results close? Hart finishes? No. Pt finishes? No. Malkin has 1 top 10 hart and pt finish in the last 8 years which is honestly pathetic. Who cares about PPG, at some point you have to actually play the games.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Umm, I clearly said "If the actual production/results were close then yes". Are the actual results close? Hart finishes? No. Pt finishes? No. Malkin has 1 top 10 hart and pt finish in the last 8 years which is honestly pathetic. Who cares about PPG, at some point you have to actually play the games.

since 2015-2016:

malkin: 1.17 PPG over 307 regular season games
Sid : 1.14 PPG over 343 regular season games

So basicly, only 36 more games played over the last 5 seasons and its enough for Sid to be without any doubt (at least if i'm quoting most of people there) one of the best 3 players over that period and malkin not even having a case for being in the top 10?
Sid must have been Selke level over that period while Geno must have been at his defensive terrible worst to justify those assumptions.

Reactions: Cape

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
since 2015-2016:

So basicly, only 36 more games played over the last 5 seasons and its enough for Sid to be without any doubt (at least if i'm quoting most of people there) one of the best 3 players over that period and malkin not even having a case for being in the top 10?
Sid must have been Selke level over that period while Geno must have been at his defensive terrible worst to justify those assumptions.

Lol why do you keep quoting my posts if you're going to keep ignoring what I say? Where are Malkin's awards, pt finishes and hart finishes over this time period? PPG is nice but it doesn't make up for real accomplishments. Also I don't know why you keep mentioning Crosby but since you do, let's compare:

Crosby: 2x smythe, 1x rocket, 4x top 10 pts, 3x hart finalist, 1x 1st AST, 2x 2nd AST

Malkin: 1x top 10 pts, 1x top 10 hart

Yes, Malkin's 0.03 better PPG definitely makes up for that difference lol.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
since 2015-2016:

And playoffs?

To answer your question though, Crosby has a considerable edge in defensive play. Malkin's play last year was terrible.

And as always, Crosby takes on the tougher assignments, a greater defensive role and d-pairings.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
And playoffs?

To answer your question though, Crosby has a considerable edge in defensive play. Malkin's play last year was terrible.

And as always, Crosby takes on the tougher assignments, a greater defensive role and d-pairings.

you still dare taking that into consideration when we're seeing this year AGAIN that it's a bullshite argument to use when Malkin's PPG is much higher when playing the thought defensive assignements than not....and without having the luxury of having another superstar to help him in PP like Sid usually does with Geno

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
you still dare taking that into consideration when we're seeing this year AGAIN that it's a bull****e argument to use when Malkin's PPG is much higher when playing the thought defensive assignements than not....and without having the luxury of having another superstar to help him in PP like Sid usually does with Geno

It doesn't change the fact that for the majority of their careers, Crosby has faced the tougher assignments. It's a fact.

Crosby also has done better when Malkin is out.

Not sure why you feel the need to knock Crosby down to try to bring Malkin up. He missed too many games in too many seasons for it not to be a factor.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
its rare but we have caps fans and pens fans defending Crosby against Malkin. HF explode

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
its rare but we have caps fans and pens fans defending Crosby against Malkin. HF explode

Simply because most Caps/Ovie fans have been probably accepting by now that Sid > Ovie but they don't want their idol to also be behind another player of his generation and especially not another russian so they can at least call Ovie the best russian player ever.
So anything that can alter negatively Malkin's legacy is a positive for them, even if that means boosting Sid's legacy.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Purely by points:

1. McDavid
2. Kane
3. Kucherov
4. Marchand
5. Crosby
6. Panarin
7. Drasaitl
8. Wheeler
9. MacKinnon
10. Ovechkin

By ppg:

1. McDavid
2. Kucherov
3. Kane
4. Malkin (shows how much time he's missed)
5. Crosby
6. Marchand
7. Stamkos (See Malkin)
8. Draisaitl
9. Panarin
10. MacKinnon

I think a lot of lists are leaving out Panarin.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Doesn't Crosby have two Smythe's in this time span?

Um.....him?

Sid playing at a 65 point / 21 goal pace while being a defensive liability doesn't move the needle in a conversation like this. If anything, it hurts because it is below average productivity for a top flight NHL player.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Sid playing at a 65 point / 21 goal pace while being a defensive liability doesn't move the needle in a conversation like this. If anything, it hurts because it is below average productivity for a top flight NHL player.
How many top flight NHL players since 2015 have two Smythe's? Or defensive liabilities finishing fourth in selke voting last year?

Sorry, the best player since 15/16 is Crosby. And Pens fans will tell you I'm not a fan of the guy.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
How many top flight NHL players since 2015 have two Smythe's? Or defensive liabilities finishing fourth in selke voting last year?

Sorry, the best player since 15/16 is Crosby. And Pens fans will tell you I'm not a fan of the guy.

He didn't deserve Selke votes either. He doesn't PK. He doesn't shut anyone down. He was on the ice for the same goals against as Alex friggin Ovechkin and his offensive zone starts were even higher. Sid is deployed for offense - and this was overwhelmingly the case in '18-19. Canadian journalists started pretending Sid was good at defense right when his offense fell off and he was no longer a top offensive player in the NHL. It's pumping and compensating. Nothing more. Pure fantasy.

If you want to base your opinions on who is Canada's chosen golden boy, go for it. Perhaps you also think Toews >>> Malkin.

My opinions will continue to be merit based.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Doesn't Crosby have two Smythe's in this time span?

Um.....him?

the first is one of the most ridiculous CS ever given (basically it was given on reputation as both Murray or Kessel were more deserving) and the second one was deserved but could have easily been given to malkin as well (who was the leading scorer during those POs).

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
He didn't deserve Selke votes either. He doesn't PK. He doesn't shut anyone down. He was on the ice for the same goals against as Alex friggin Ovechkin and his offensive zone starts were even higher. Sid is deployed for offense - and this was overwhelmingly the case in '18-19. Canadian journalists started pretending Sid was good at defense right when his offense fell off and he was no longer a top offensive player in the NHL. It's pumping and compensating. Nothing more. Pure fantasy.

If you want to base your opinions on who is Canada's chosen golden boy, go for it. Perhaps you also think Toews >>> Malkin.

My opinions will continue to be merit based.
Lol wat?

The guy had 100 points last year and has ten goals in 27 games this year to go along with being over a point per game on top of having two Smythe's in this time frame.

That's more then enough "merit" lol

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
the first is one of the most ridiculous CS ever given (basically it was given on reputation as both Murray or Kessel were more deserving) and the second one was deserved but could have easily been given to malkin as well (who was the leading scorer during those POs).
That's your opinion

Good thing there's places like this forum so you can give it, I guess (shrugs)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad