Top 10 Players in the NHL since the 2015-16 Season (Discussion)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Eichel has put up more points then Matthews, in a way worse team while facing much higher Talent in competition Since his team has one line.

he is on any list that has Matthews, or goes in for him. He’s scored something like 335 points in 350 games since 2015-2016 on tire fires.

One would hope he has more points. He has 73 more GP. I can only guess some are putting extra weight on goals. Actually impressive that Matthews sits 10th in goals over that time frame considering he wasn't even in the league one of those seasons and missed parts of two others.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
One would hope he has more points. He has 73 more GP. I can only guess some are putting extra weight on goals. Actually impressive that Matthews sits 10th in goals over that time frame considering he wasn't even in the league one of those seasons and missed parts of two others.

ok? One would hope he would be, the post wasn’t to say he was way better then Matthews as a player it was just to say he should be on the list first since this is since 15-16. No need to get defensive, it’s about more then goals, though Andrea lee has had two forty goal seasons since 15-16.

Last edited by a moderator:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Anyone with Crosby lower than 2nd is fooling themselves.

Three Hart nominations (McDavid has two, no other player with more than one)

Two Conn Smythes

A Rocket Richard

#1 in playoff points

#5 in regular season points

Easily the best all around player and leader of any of the other best players.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Somewhat bemused how Malkin, 4th in RS ppg in this era and with 2 SCs, is nowhere to be found on most of these lists.

Reactions: Cape

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Somewhat bemused how Malkin, 4th in RS ppg in this era and with 2 SCs, is nowhere to be found on most of these lists.

McDavid and Crosby are no-brainers.

12th in points hurts him.

Kane and Kucherov have clearly superior peak seasons (arguably multiple ones) since 15/16.

Among forwards, I would say he is in the mix for #4/#5 with Kucherov and OV but #6 seems reasonable.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I guess it is reasonable. I swear I keep thinking 15-16 was a decade ago which makes me wonder why Drai and Matthews were on that list while thinking Mack wasn't there yet because of those seasons mentioned :laugh:

Mack is still top 10 in the NHL in both points and ppg since then. The only guys younger than him that are higher on the list are McDavid and Draisaitl. Draisaitl only barely for both, and Mack didn’t get play with the guy at the top of the list for significant stretches.

Even with those bad years, he should probably be around 7-8.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
ok? One would hope he would be, the post wasn’t to say he was way better then Matthews as a player it was just to say he should be on the list first since this is since 15-16. No need to get defensive, it’s about more then goals, though Andrea lee has had two forty goal seasons since 15-16.missed parts of two others.

I'm not sure what you found "defensive" about the post? It was a simple explanation as to why some may have included him. Personally, I wouldn't simply because it's unfair to him as he wasn't around.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
How are you weighing and/or defining "success?" Production is pretty easy, I would bet. Use raw point totals. But success? How are you defining that?

Wouldn't Sid and Geno be #1 and #2 since they have remained productive (not THE MOST productive but still very productive compared to the league average) AND have won 2 cups AND two Conn Smythe in the time frame you are referencing?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
top 23

Ovechkin McDavid Kucherov
Marchand MacKinnon Pastrnak
Panarin Crosby Draisaitl
Eichel OReily Kane
Bergeron

Hedman Carlson
Josi Pietrangelo
Doughty Burns
Letang
Karlsson

Holtby
Bishop

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I'll do a team

Marchand McDavid Kucherov
Malkin Crosby Kane
Matthews MacKinnon Panarin
Barkov Bergeron Eichel

Hedman Karlsson
Giordano Burns
Josi Letang

Gibson
Vasilevskey

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Malkin since 15/16:

Hart finishes: n/a, n/a, 7th, n/a
Pt finishes: n/a, n/a, 4th, n/a
AST finishes: n/a, 6th, 4th, n/a

He's had 1 elite season, why would he be on the list over guys who have had multiple elite seasons?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm a bit surprised that Crosby isn't a slam dunk for #2 here. He's got multiple Hart noms, multiple Conn Smythe trophies, leading playoff scorer, multiple cups, etc. He may not have a regular season in there that's on par with his other elite regular seasons but he certainly cemented his legacy during that time.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm a bit surprised that Crosby isn't a slam dunk for #2 here. He's got multiple Hart noms, multiple Conn Smythe trophies, multiple cups, etc. He may not have a regular season in there that's on par with his other elite regular seasons but he certainly cemented his legacy during that time.

He just missed a month so HF forgot about him. Was a top 3 center in both 17 and 19. Arguable tied with McDavid for best player in 17. Was unbelievable defensively while getting 100 points last year.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Anyone with Crosby lower than 2nd is fooling themselves.

Three Hart nominations (McDavid has two, no other player with more than one)

Two Conn Smythes

A Rocket Richard

#1 in playoff points

#5 in regular season points

Easily the best all around player and leader of any of the other best players.

The problem is Crosby didn't deserve one of those hart nominations (because he wasn't actually carrying the Pens who went .714 without him) or one of those Smythes.

Those were just perks of being Canada's fave.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
McDavid and Crosby are no-brainers.

12th in points hurts him.

Kane and Kucherov have clearly superior peak seasons (arguably multiple ones) since 15/16.

Among forwards, I would say he is in the mix for #4/#5 with Kucherov and OV but #6 seems reasonable.

12th in points is a reflection of durability though, not greatness when taking the ice. He's been top 5 for ppg for every season bar one since 15-16, including this one to date, which is something only McDavid can say. Plus, as I said, this is only taking regular season into account and not post-season, which seems odd to me.

I mean, I guess it depends on what people mean by top. Impact on the regular season? Then I guess the fitness counts and the post-season doesn't. Impact on the ice when out there? Malkin's consistently been one of the best, regular and post-season.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018

that's ridiculous.
And then, you have some people there daring saying that his exclusion for the top 100 players of all time was ridiculous when they can't even assett his true level and place among the best players over the last 4 seasons....

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Malkin since 15/16:

Hart finishes: n/a, n/a, 7th, n/a
Pt finishes: n/a, n/a, 4th, n/a
AST finishes: n/a, 6th, 4th, n/a

He's had 1 elite season, why would he be on the list over guys who have had multiple elite seasons?

ppg has no value to you?

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
12th in points is a reflection of durability though, not greatness when taking the ice. He's been top 5 for ppg for every season bar one since 15-16, including this one to date, which is something only McDavid can say. Plus, as I said, this is only taking regular season into account and not post-season, which seems odd to me.

I mean, I guess it depends on what people mean by top. Impact on the regular season? Then I guess the fitness counts and the post-season doesn't. Impact on the ice when out there? Malkin's consistently been one of the best, regular and post-season.

it's quite funny to see that when Sid for example gets injured and misses big parts of seasons, this is used in his favour (people insisting on his PPG), not against him while this is exactly the reverse in Geno's case.
Canadian/US bias at his very best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad