Top 10 Penguins of All Time

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I think after back to back Cups it's a good time to reevaluate the franchises history.

A top 5 franchise players discussion would probably be pretty boring given that the top 4 will largely be the same 4 players on many lists. So I think top 10 is the way to go.

What does your list look like and how did this season change it (if at all)?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll take a stab at it:

Mario
Sid
Jagr
Geno
Coffey
Francis
Stevens
Recchi
Tocchet
Kessel/Murray/Barasso/Pronovost/Kehoe <pick 1.

A few guys for me jump in to possible top 10 after these back to backs: Phil and Muzz.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Top 5

Caufield
Lemieux
Crosby
Malkin
Jagr

Blue%20Line_JayCaufield.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't have enough knowledge to do a top 10 but I feel like whatever it is, the make up hasn't really changed. People seemed to mostly have Murray behind Barasso/MAF for goaltender in that all time line up thread, so that hasn't changed. Letang wasn't part of it so doesn't make the leap if he was a bubble player. Sid & Geno were already in. I guess some people might put in MAF for ruining Washington's dreams?

Kessel's the only guy who might be in the top 10 now who deffo wasn't before. A really prominent role in back to back trophies does that I guess. Do you put him above Recchi and Tocchet, who only have one each as Pens players? I'm too lazy to look up what Kessel's points scoring totals would have looked like at 90s rates.

I'd love to put Horny in the conversation - three solid seasons, two cups, one GWG for the cup - but if we're dickering about Kessel, then Horny isn't in...

Clearly we need a 3peat to make this more interesting :naughty:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'll take a stab at it:

Mario
Sid
Jagr
Geno
Coffey
Francis
Stevens
Recchi
Tocchet
Kessel/Murray/Barasso/Pronovost/Kehoe <pick 1.

A few guys for me jump in to possible top 10 after these back to backs: Phil and Muzz.

That is pretty much what I think also. Although 6 through 10 is a matter of preference. That group is so close. I think we have at least 10 player for those last 5 spots. You have 5 guys fighting for spot 10 and I will give a few more for that pick one spot (Murphy, Mullen, Letang, Gonchar). The Pens have so many great players that they could go too 20 with very little drop off after the top 5.

Murray will definitely be top 10 if he keeps his stats in the range they are now. Has a goalie in NHL history had a better start than him? I am not just talking Cups but playing at a top 5 goalie level since his first game. I am sure the list is small and then when you add the Cups no doubt it is the best start. Murray really does have a chance to go down as one of the all time greats and not just for the Pens. If the Pens win 1 more Cup while he is in net and he just keeps his GAA and save %. When you think about it his stats actually have a good chance of improving and not just because of age and experience. Yes Murray is not near his prime yet but about half his games he played without his number 1 defenseman and many other starting defenseman out for significant time last year. You would have to figure Murray's stats would of even been better this season especially when we had that stretch of games with almost all WBS defenseman playing because we had our entire top 4 defenseman out. In fact half of our entire lineup was WBS guys it seemed like for about a 20 game stretch last season.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just going from the top of my head:

Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Francis
Stevens (HM: Pronovost & Kehoe, though they were before my time following the team)

Letang
Coffey

Barrasso
Fleury

Both goalies have done a lot for the team, so it's hard to keep them out. The 2 D and first 5 F are pretty much locks. The only one I think is up for grabs is Stevens spot and I could see a few people that could be put there now or in the near future (Kessel, Murray, etc.)

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Francis
Stevens
Coffey
Barrasso
Letang
Fleury

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Larry Murphy is definitely a top ten all time for the Pens.

55(Murphy not sarge)

The top 9 is pretty easy, then there's like ten guys you could argue for the 10th spot. I'd say Gonchar goes at 10, he was the real leader for a half decade.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I know very little about the pre-1984 players. Obviously, I know names and the like, but who out of them could challenge for a spot on the list? Larouche, Carlyle...?

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I know very little about the pre-1984 players. Obviously, I know names and the like, but who out of them could challenge for a spot on the list? Larouche, Carlyle...?

There were a lot of good players, how about Pronovost, but none of them won a cup so they can't be above any of the crucial players on the cup teams in my opinion.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
IMO, Pronovost, Kehoe, Larouche, and Burrows were the best players of that era (Briere predates me) and you could probably substitute Kehoe for Stevens - more of a sniper, but not a true power forward like Stevens - but that would be a close call.

I always thought Carlyle was overrated, but that's probably just me. If you imagine smooth, fast, elegant skaters like Coffey, or stud defensive defensemen like Larry Robinson (although he also put up his share of points), Carlyle was kind of the opposite of both. That he somehow beat out Denis Potvin, Robinson, or even Larry Murphy (but he was pretty young) was crazy.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The Hockey News came out with their top 50 list for each franchise. Here is the Penguins top 10:

1. Mario Lemieux
2. Sidney Crosby
3. Jaromir Jagr
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Tom Barrasso
6. Kris Letang
7. Ron Francis
8. Marc-Andre Fleury
9. Kevin Stevens
10. Jean Pronovost

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Hockey News came out with their top 50 list for each franchise. Here is the Penguins top 10:

1. Mario Lemieux
2. Sidney Crosby
3. Jaromir Jagr
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Tom Barrasso
6. Kris Letang
7. Ron Francis
8. Marc-Andre Fleury
9. Kevin Stevens
10. Jean Pronovost

Still surprised how many people omit Coffey from these lists. I'm guessing it's the lack of time as a Pen (4 1/2 seasons)? Either way, it's basically my list with an HM subbed in for him, so I'm okay with it. I think 5-8 could be reordered though.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm breaking the chain. Crosby isn't done yet and has accomplished more while also dealing with serious injuries himself. Since everyone seems to only want cup players I'll stay on that course.

* Crosby
*Lemieux
*Malkin
*Jagr
*Francis
*Stevens
*Rechhi
*Coffey
*Murphy
*Fleury

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Larry Murphy is definitely a top ten all time for the Pens.

55(Murphy not sarge)

The top 9 is pretty easy, then there's like ten guys you could argue for the 10th spot. I'd say Gonchar goes at 10, he was the real leader for a half decade.
I'd put Tyler Wright in the 10 spot.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
My wheel house.....

Lemieux
Sid
Jagr
Geno
Coffey - High, but he helped change the identity of Pens in a huge way in such a short time
Francis
Stevens
Murphy
Tocchet- if he would have stayed longer would be much higher
Ulf

Honorable mention- Mullen, MAF, Barrasso, Bullard, Kehoe and Letang

Last edited:

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014
M.Lemieux
S.Crosby
E.Malkin
K.Stevens
P.Coffey
R.Francis
R.Tocchet
P.Kessel
L.Murphy
M-A.Fleury
J.Jagr
T.Barrasso

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
IMO, Pronovost, Kehoe, Larouche, and Burrows were the best players of that era (Briere predates me) and you could probably substitute Kehoe for Stevens - more of a sniper, but not a true power forward like Stevens - but that would be a close call.

I always thought Carlyle was overrated, but that's probably just me. If you imagine smooth, fast, elegant skaters like Coffey, or stud defensive defensemen like Larry Robinson (although he also put up his share of points), Carlyle was kind of the opposite of both. That he somehow beat out Denis Potvin, Robinson, or even Larry Murphy (but he was pretty young) was crazy.

For those that never saw Kehoe, think Kessel. They are basically the same player.

That year that Carlyle won the Norris, he was incredible imo. He was a magician with the puck. The next year?, haha.....he put on s0me weight, and fans dubbed him "Porky". I think it was deserving. (The Norris, that is)

On Burrows, I remember an interview Mike Lange was doing with a current NHL superstar at the time, (damn, I can't remember exactly who) and Lange asked about the perception of Burrows throughout the league with players. Lange said "we know here in Pittsburgh how good he is, but how is he viewed around the league?", the star replied, "Burrows? the best defensive defensemen in the league. Believe me, we (players) know how good he is."

Last edited:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
1. Kraft
2. Surovy
3. Fata
4. McKenna
5. Tarnstrom
6. Aubin/Caron(Could go either way)
7. Morozov
8. Koltsov(Fastest man alive)
9. Tarnstrom(How did he never win a Norris? He lead the 04 team in scoring)
10. Scuderi (The piece)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know we're being snarky and all, but honestly, these 10 Worst Penguins of all time lists are way more interesting than the 10 Best.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Maybe it's too soon, but I think Kunitz deserves some consideration. I feel like his overall tenure with the Pens was as impactful as Recchi, Tocchet, Mullen, or Kessel.

Mt Rushmore:
Mario
Sid
Geno
Jagr
-------------
Francis (if Mt. Rushmore had 5 guys, he'd be there)
Fluery (love him or hate him, he was our guy for 10+ year)
Barrasso (might be too high, but 2 cups)
Letang (over the other D due to how long he's been here)
Coffey (maybe low, but if I remember correctly, wasn't integral in 1991 and was gone by 92)
Murphy (our best d-man by far in 91 and 92)

HM - Stevens (hard to leave off this list), Kunitz, Recchi, Tocchet, Gonchar, Murray, Ulf. I only started following Pens in late 80's, so apologies to all of the older players.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
1. Kraft
2. Surovy
3. Fata
4. McKenna
5. Tarnstrom
6. Aubin/Caron(Could go either way)
7. Morozov
8. Koltsov(Fastest man alive)
9. Tarnstrom(How did he never win a Norris? He lead the 04 team in scoring)
10. Scuderi (The piece)
Decent list, but I'd replace Koltsov with Endicott and probably the second Tarnstrom with Luca Caputi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad