In terms of "I've never seen that before", his top 3 goals for me are:

The Goal
Spinning banked self-pass against Montreal
Checking Hal Gill and the puck into the net

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Not sure if it's tin foil hat territory but the goal wasn't a fluke. It was certainly lucky but Ovie is playing the puck the whole time and makes intentional adjustments to shuffle the puck into the net.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not sure if it's tin foil hat territory but the goal wasn't a fluke. It was certainly lucky but Ovie is playing the puck the whole time and makes intentional adjustments to shuffle the puck into the net.

Not saying he wasn't trying to put it on net. The circumstances that allowed it to go in were flukey, iirc. He tries that 100 times on any goaltender in the league since and not one goes in.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

He definitely put the puck on net on purpose. The flukey part is how the defenseman and goalie were not in position to block his 10 MPH shot.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
The man is just so underappreciated around the league for what he brings to the game.

I always end up kicking myself when the end of the season rolls around and I've only gone to see this sure-fire Hall of Famer a handful of times if that.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Jeeeez. And they tell us McDavid is good. BS.

I don't get it either. There was a thread on the main board about McDavid's last goal where he steals the puck from the defenseman and puts it in net. Everyone (mostly Oilers fans) screaming about how only generational talent can do that. Oookay, its just a play. A good play sure, but its a standard play you see around the league.

This highlight video tho, thats a generational talent in there.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't get it either. There was a thread on the main board about McDavid's last goal where he steals the puck from the defenseman and puts it in net. Everyone (mostly Oilers fans) screaming about how only generational talent can do that. Oookay, its just a play. A good play sure, but its a standard play you see around the league.

This highlight video tho, thats a generational talent in there.

Makes me want to set a reminder to post it on the main boards after McDavid's 49th game. Challenge an Oilers fan to make one for comparison.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
McDavid will never be as good as Ovechkin. In the past 10 years, there hasn't been a more dominant player than 2008 Ovechkin. 65 goals, 112 points, top power forward in the league.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Sorry don't know how to post video into the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Vyoeysc4c

at around 1:07
Just place everything after the equation sign into a [yt ][/yt ] tag.

Off topic, but the sickest Caps goal I've seen doesn't belong to Ovechkin. It's Semin from the 2008-9 season I guess, against Ottawa, when he intercepted the pass in the offensive zone and then used the same move (superfast forehand-backhand-forehand-to the right - [wrist shot]) against the defender and the goalie, leaving them both completely clueless.

McDavid will never be as good as Ovechkin. In the past 10 years, there hasn't been a more dominant player than 2008 Ovechkin. 65 goals, 112 points, top power forward in the league.
I've always said that the 2009-10 Ovechkin was better. More complete as an offensive player, as good physically.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

Off topic, but the sickest Caps goal I've seen doesn't belong to Ovechkin. It's Semin from the 2008-9 season I guess, against Ottawa, when he intercepted the pass in the offensive zone and then used the same move (superfast forehand-backhand-forehand-to the right - [wrist shot]) against the defender and the goalie, leaving them both completely clueless.

I've always said that the 2009-10 Ovechkin was better. More complete as an offensive player, as good physically.

pre-Olympics gutpunch, maybe. He was a different player after the Olympic break, costing him the Hart.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He lost 10 games that year due to his recklessness, but the Caps were scoring an exceptional quantity of goals. There were 4 PPG players on the team (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green). I can see your point though, he was on pace for 57 goals and 124 pts. Before the Olympics, he was on pace for 135 points!!

2008 Ovi scored 65 goals with little help from his teammates. The second best player on the team was a rookie Backstrom.

In any case, no one will reach the level Ovi had from 2007 to 2010.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

That game...

Another of my faves, which doesn't get the attention, was Jan. 15, 2010 against the Leafs where he had 1G/4A/5P and was just dominant. The call by Gord Miller and Pierre is so enjoyable. They are in awe of him and the team.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I just love that goal he scored in the playoffs against the Rangers. 2 dekes, then scoring on his knees, against Lundquist, when his team desperately needed it. Even more impressive than the Phoenix goal, IMO.

The other greatest OV moment for me isn't even a goal. Its the hit he put on Jagr during the Olympics.

:handclap:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not saying he wasn't trying to put it on net. The circumstances that allowed it to go in were flukey, iirc. He tries that 100 times on any goaltender in the league since and not one goes in.

He even tried to recreate it during on All Star Skills Challenge and failed, IIRC.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Do it.

And god damn do I love Ovie. Such a treat to watch. We'll most likely never see another like him.

Yeah, this franchise needed a player like him and I believe it will be a long time before the NHL sees another player with his goal scoring and physical prowess. Other than being a Caps fan wanting the SC, I really want to see Ovy win it. Still amazed he is 30 already and I never get old watching him play. A lot of good moments, but last year the goal against NJ was pretty amazing. Glad we have a GM now who is trying to get a championship.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad