Top 10 Offensive D Prospects in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4777*

An Ape called Yoko said:
Niklas Kronwall is nr 1. :handclap: Of course on hockeysfuture.com he wasn´t even an top 50 prospect. :shakehead
On this same list al montoya was ranked ahead of anterro niitymaki and hannu toivenen, no need to get bothered by it anymore, i use to get bothered by it a lot, but not as much anymore.

As for the list....meh.

mooseOAK*

An Ape called Yoko said:
Niklas Kronwall is nr 1. :handclap: Of course on hockeysfuture.com he wasn´t even an top 50 prospect. :shakehead

Kronwall is the world's oldest living prospect. Guys his age have already qualified for their NHL pensions.

Sammy*

Evilo said:
Grebeshkov in his rookie season put up 9 points in 43 games and 1 point in 6 playoff games.
Whitney, in his rookie season, has 13 points in 37 games, and 10 points in 20 playoff games.
Yeah yeah yeah.
And he's brutal this year.
Some guys are sooo predictable.

Old Hickory

Evilo said:
Grebeshkov in his rookie season put up 9 points in 43 games and 1 point in 6 playoff games.
Whitney, in his rookie season, has 13 points in 37 games, and 10 points in 20 playoff games.
Grebeshkov was also playing hurt. He broke his wrist before the season started and was playing anyway

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Reilly311 said:
He's 7th in scoring and you need to turn down your Knights homerism.

" as he's leading all rookie defensemen in AHL scoring"

I misread the article, calm down its okay to be jealous. And yes I know the Knights haven't won an OHL title yet, but in may they just might.

BTW has Erie ever won a Memorial Cup? Didn't think so.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
trahans99 said:
" as he's leading all rookie defensemen in AHL scoring"

I misread the article, calm down its okay to be jealous. And yes I know the Knights haven't won an OHL title yet, but in may they just might.

BTW has Erie ever won a Memorial Cup? Didn't think so.

So just because he points out the fact that you're a Knights homer you're going to start taking jabs at him? Please, that's a childish way to handle an argument. Come up with a point and something to back it up, it has more power to it. And he's true, you are a homer, which is your choice, but it helps when you talk about players other than Knights on these boards.

The Ron Hainsey comments kinda puzzle me. Have people watched this guy play? Most people said when he was drafted that he was a longshot to make the big show because of his attitude, and off ice behaviours. Until he gets those straightened around, he'll never be much more than a depth dman. Yes, he has lots of talent, but I also think he makes some poor decisions. His shot is good, but could use some work. Overall, I would say his a mid level offensive dman at this point, not a top 10.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
cj said:
Who exactly is Koltsov going to bump off the Canucks first powerplay unit? :help:

The last I heard, Kolstov wasn't even the Canucks 7th defenseman. Now he's quarterbacking the power play? What did I miss here?

I think you missed the fact that their is a lockout going on and they figure Koltsov will be the PP QB in 2006 or 2007. I doubt that happens but hey, if they think he should be #3 on the list, they must really like the guy.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tim Gleason of the Monarchs has had a stellar season, scoring 12 points in 29 games. He is plus 10 and has 5 goals on 49 shots for a 10.1 % scoring percentage.
He plays very well in his zone and has been very physcial. Grebeshkov plays a very smooth game - he skates very fluid, (exceptional backward) makes it look easy, but Gleason can really skate on a rush when he goes aggressive on offense. Last year while playing 47 games with the LA Kings, he concentrated on defense and didn't take many chances. He got better every game.

I would rather have him than most, or even any of these guys on this top ten list. He was often better than Aaron Miller on the Kings last year. I was blown away how tough and physical he was.

http://www.monarchshockey.com/stats/

http://www.monarchshockey.com/roster/?id=183

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
Now I doubt he is still considered a prospect (like Bowmeseter) because he played a full season in the NHL last year, but this year Joni Pitkanen is in the A and is definately one of the most gifted offensive guys. He is the entire package -size, strength, positionally sounds etc. He is a keeper!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
faucette78 said:
Now I doubt he is still considered a prospect (like Bowmeseter) because he played a full season in the NHL last year, but this year Joni Pitkanen is in the A and is definately one of the most gifted offensive guys. He is the entire package -size, strength, positionally sounds etc. He is a keeper!

the article says specifically that Pitkanen and Hamhuis, two guys that would have been on the list, were ineligible for playing all of last year in the NHL.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
Kronwall is the world's oldest living prospect. Guys his age have already qualified for their NHL pensions.

and this is one of the more useless posts - he just turned 24 and would be playing in the NHL had it not been for injury and lockout - fact is hes still considered a prospect and thus should be at the top of these lists and in HF's top 50 list!!! so deal with it.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
HOCKEY_GURU said:
and this is one of the more useless posts - he just turned 24 and would be playing in the NHL had it not been for injury and lockout - fact is hes still considered a prospect and thus should be at the top of these lists and in HF's top 50 list!!! so deal with it.

I think it certainly is fair to use age for or against a prospect. This guy is four-five years older than some of the prospects he's being compared to. If you are going to include Kronwall based on offense and disregard age, why not throw in Andrew Hutchinson? He's only a year older, he's put up virtually identical numbers to Kronwall and he's been successful offensively on the NHL level. Look at some of the current and past top 50 prospects and see how they project out to age 24. There's not many, if any, Dmen that the general consensus think will be borderline NHLers (such as Kronwall) at the age of 24. Now some don't pan out like that and become borderline NHLers at age 24, but if people had known that, they wouldn't exactly have been as highly thought of. It's a distinct bias that isn't always fair, but it works most of the time. The bottom line is people expect good prospects such as Kronwall to dominate the AHL when they have huge age advantages over most of the other prospects. If he was 21 or 22, he might get Zetterbergesque hype, but that's just not the case.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Kritty said:
So just because he points out the fact that you're a Knights homer you're going to start taking jabs at him? Please, that's a childish way to handle an argument. Come up with a point and something to back it up, it has more power to it. And he's true, you are a homer, which is your choice, but it helps when you talk about players other than Knights on these boards.

The Ron Hainsey comments kinda puzzle me. Have people watched this guy play? Most people said when he was drafted that he was a longshot to make the big show because of his attitude, and off ice behaviours. Until he gets those straightened around, he'll never be much more than a depth dman. Yes, he has lots of talent, but I also think he makes some poor decisions. His shot is good, but could use some work. Overall, I would say his a mid level offensive dman at this point, not a top 10.

Maybe if you had read his other posts, he's taken many jabs at the Knights when there is no need for it.

And if you hadn't noticed I have many other posts than about Knights players. I've posted over 570 messaged and the majority not about the Knights.
The majority of my messages on PROSPECTS are on the Knights as they have many good prospects.

mooseOAK*

HOCKEY_GURU said:

By the end of this season Kronwall will be by AHL definition a veteran, i.e. having played at least 260 professional games.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
By the end of this season Kronwall will be by AHL definition a veteran, i.e. having played at least 260 professional games.

Age is definitely a factor and i always account for that.. but facts are kronwall played in the NHL at the age of 22 and was one of the better defencemen on the team .... unfortunately he got injured....and if his status is considered a prospect still (and he is) then he should be listed in such lists...if you want to argue that current accomplishments is merely due to him being 24 (turned 24 jan 12 i believe) and other prospects will eventually become better due to age.. then thats your perrogative but to state the things in the manner you did does no one a favor or adds to the hockey knowledge and makes kronwall sound like carrer AHL ers which other high draft picks in the past have become - thus disinforming many reading the post and unfamiliar with kronwall -

- my personal opinion is not many of the top drafted defencemen will OFFENSIVELY reach Kronwalls abilities even when theyre 24... and in the end if he has 10 or more great years in the NHL.. and a guy 3 years younger than him has 12 decent years... guess which i'd rather have...if you dont agree with this assesment.. then please provide a well thought out argument without flagrant nonsensical remarks.

AgentNaslund*

finally some reconition. Most skilled defencemen in the AHL. anyways, hes 6'0 190 as i last found out. Ki

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't really consider Kronwall much of a prospect anymore, but rather an NHL player. Before he was hurt last year he was a top four dman for the Wings, and most likely would have been so this year. While it is true that he is older than most "prospects" you also have to remember that few Wings prospects that play in Europe come over before they are 20 at the earliest. It is likely he would have been over sooner had the Wings not been pretty jammed on defense. Letting him mature and dominate at lower lvls allows him to build up confidence, and the SEL is probably the second most competitive league lower league in the world behind the AHL (however a player can stay in the SEL without signing a pro contract). The Wings have also had pretty good success at leting their players mature before comming over in recent years (Z and Dats), and tend to leave most of their prospects minus Czech players in europe. Pretty much what I am saying is don't discount Wings prospects because they are older, as being fringe NHLers. What I saw of him last year really makes me believe he will be a top 4 dman for sure. He has a good shot much like Lids and an excellent first pass. He still needs to work on positioning but he can throw a solid check especially for someone with only a 5'11/ 6'0 frame. In a way her reminds me of a poormans Vladdy/Lids mix. He'll probably never be as good as either, but I think the posibility of a top 4 dman is pretty good considering when he was drafted no one had any idea wth he was or even who he was.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
19 for president said:
I don't really consider Kronwall much of a prospect anymore, but rather an NHL player. Before he was hurt last year he was a top four dman for the Wings, and most likely would have been so this year. While it is true that he is older than most "prospects" you also have to remember that few Wings prospects that play in Europe come over before they are 20 at the earliest. It is likely he would have been over sooner had the Wings not been pretty jammed on defense. Letting him mature and dominate at lower lvls allows him to build up confidence, and the SEL is probably the second most competitive league lower league in the world behind the AHL (however a player can stay in the SEL without signing a pro contract). The Wings have also had pretty good success at leting their players mature before comming over in recent years (Z and Dats), and tend to leave most of their prospects minus Czech players in europe. Pretty much what I am saying is don't discount Wings prospects because they are older, as being fringe NHLers. What I saw of him last year really makes me believe he will be a top 4 dman for sure. He has a good shot much like Lids and an excellent first pass. He still needs to work on positioning but he can throw a solid check especially for someone with only a 5'11/ 6'0 frame. In a way her reminds me of a poormans Vladdy/Lids mix. He'll probably never be as good as either, but I think the posibility of a top 4 dman is pretty good considering when he was drafted no one had any idea wth he was or even who he was.

good post...and I agree you can't dismiss older prospects just because they came in at say age 23 like Datsyuk...whats wrong with developing/maturing in europe and then translating that game here...look at zidlicky he did just fine...is it better to be high on a top notch young prospect..who comes in and plays at age of 19...and in the end turns out to be average?... theres many examples of those yet they always get ranked higher than the older/mature prospect... again a good example is zidlicky..when he was about 24 I thought he should be higher on prospect lists.. yet all these supposed "studs' are placed in top 10 lists ..and too often unjustifiably,.. why.. because of draft position...seeems like its human nature that once you get on someones bandwagon..its hard to jump off..untill they totally prove you wrong - I'm sure theres someone out there still thinking Brendl will be a 90 point scorer :D

i also want to point out that kronwall wasnt unknown... when drafted he was said to have the best talent of any defenceman that year.... the concern was his size..and thats why he did the right decision and stayed in Europe untill he was physically ready.. his talent was there all along. he was very small....well lucky for him he shot up....so why dont people still recognize the talent thats he always has had is beyond me. :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad